Will Anno Try To Top The "Hospital Room Scene"? Can Anything Be As Messed Up?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Celepito
Embryo

Re: Will Anno Try To Top The "Hospital Room Scene"? Can Anything Be As Messed Up?

•      
  •      

Postby Celepito » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 pm

@Joseki
1) would depend on how much value Anno puts on that analoy, but it still is a good point. However, on a pure logical base, Shinji getting at least another DDS Choker put on him for safty reasons would make the most sense for me personally. But then again, I would call myself generaly a bad judge when it comes to anything, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

2) would be explained by Shinjis breakdown, which would change his mindset somewhat and making him act impulsivly.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Will Anno Try To Top The "Hospital Room Scene"? Can Anything Be As Messed Up?

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:48 pm

I doubt Anno will do something similar to the hospital scene.

NME has showed that it aims to have slighty different tone compared to the messed up original and EoE.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Keep in mind the hospital scene wasn't at all expected.
Anno can always pull an Anno.
And we have 25% of this series left.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:01 pm

I doubt will see anything like we did in EOE but something shocking and memorable in the context of these movies, yes, I'm sure. They're, after all, very tame when compared to NGE and EOE.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I doubt will see anything like we did in EOE but something shocking and memorable in the context of these movies, yes, I'm sure. They're, after all, very tame when compared to NGE and EOE.

Well, we did actually see Kaworu's head explode quite graphically in 3.0, whereas in 24 there was a cut to black and a half-second silhouette of a severed head dropping. So...they're not actually tamer.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:15 am

I guess it's very subjective what is tame(r), but if you directly compare the TV show to what's come out of Rebuild, Rebuild is definitely more free to depict gore.
We'll see about the approach in the last film, if it gets as intense in that sense as EoE.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:45 pm

We’re comparing a TV series that had broadcast restrictions placed upon it to a film series that was a bit more free since film 1. The fact that he seemed content enough with the tone in the original series to replicate it for the most art in the movies is pretty telling (1.11 being nearly a reanimating of NGE aside). I think Anno is very much interested in the “other show dropping” late in his Eva stories, hense why the tone and triggering content seems to rack up a whole lot at the halfway point of each respective Eva series. Something emotionally shocking and off the chart is on its way in Shin Eva, but it’ll be unique to NTE just like Eva Q was.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”