Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Cat
Embryo

Re: Girls und Panzer

•      
  •      

Postby Cat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Hiya!

I had been pointed over here awhile ago from discussions on the GuP wikia, and just registered here to join this discussion. This summer I began working on a big modelling project to run tabletop games with 1/100 scale tanks — planning on running games at Anime Boston, Arisia, and various miniatures gaming conventions around New England next year.

As part of the research for this project, I'm finally breaking down and teaching myself to read Japanese so I can glean more info from the Gekkan Senshado articles, the Encyclopedia, etc., and to enjoy the Ribbon no Musha series. ^,^

My big question that I hope somebody here can help with: is there a particularly good dictionary for helping with all the tank specific jargon in the kana and kanji used? Or do I just have to plow through and build my own vocab list the hard way as I go?

Meanwhile, the modelling is moving along nicely. Tanks for quite a few teams are in various stages of progress. Saunders is the first one done with all detailing. Pravda is all painted and just waiting for decals to arrive. Still waiting for a special order of 1/120 scale figures that should convert nicely to 1/100 anime schoolgirls.

—Cat

Goblinhall, tabletop gaming blog.

norival1992
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby norival1992 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Mika beat Miho in a friendly match after the national championship some time later, and when they faced off against Black Forest Peak in the preliminaries when Oorai was still fighting Anzio, they gave BFP such a hard fight despite being at a terrain disadvantage.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 am

View Original PostCat wrote:Hiya!

I had been pointed over here awhile ago from discussions on the GuP wikia, and just registered here to join this discussion. This summer I began working on a big modelling project to run tabletop games with 1/100 scale tanks — planning on running games at Anime Boston, Arisia, and various miniatures gaming conventions around New England next year.

As part of the research for this project, I'm finally breaking down and teaching myself to read Japanese so I can glean more info from the Gekkan Senshado articles, the Encyclopedia, etc., and to enjoy the Ribbon no Musha series. ^,^

My big question that I hope somebody here can help with: is there a particularly good dictionary for helping with all the tank specific jargon in the kana and kanji used? Or do I just have to plow through and build my own vocab list the hard way as I go?

Meanwhile, the modelling is moving along nicely. Tanks for quite a few teams are in various stages of progress. Saunders is the first one done with all detailing. Pravda is all painted and just waiting for decals to arrive. Still waiting for a special order of 1/120 scale figures that should convert nicely to 1/100 anime schoolgirls.

—Cat

That's an awesome idea. And those are some neat looking tanks!
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am

Bandai-Namco just made my day: a new Girls und Panzer game has just been announced, and for PS4 this time!

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/girls-und-pa ... ounced-ps4

It has content from the recent film as well. Can't wait!
[Redacted]

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:32 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Bandai-Namco just made my day: a new Girls und Panzer game has just been announced, and for PS4 this time!

No PC release?

Also, I really hope that we see a Sturmpanzer IV in Girls und Panzer das Finale. It's one of my favourite AFVs, and it's always been tantalisingly close - Yukari has a model of one, and the Karl Gerät was initially misidentified as one in the film.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:44 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Bandai-Namco just made my day: a new Girls und Panzer game has just been announced, and for PS4 this time!

Sweet! I hadn't heard about this...looking forward to trying it.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Ok, so I've been playing GuP: Dream Tank Match a lot lately. Assuming the story events (specifically those in Domination Battle mode) in the game are canon, some very interesting background info about Jatkosota has been revealed.

1: The reason they only have one tank is that they are not their school's entire sensha-do team, they are a small detachment that went AWOL. They can no longer find or make contact with their school ship, and therefore are unable to call in backup or aid. This is a direct result of their leader Mika's aimless drifting. It is uncertain whether or not they will ever rejoin their school ship, since leader Mika apparently gives zero fucks about going back and completing her education.

2: They are swindlers who survive by charming people and stealing their stuff. After a match with Pravda, Mika and crew made off with a supply of Pravda rations and the ingredients for Katyusha's borscht,
among other things. Mika distracted the Pravda leaders while the two younger girls stole the stuff.

3: They may be looking to expand their ranks, since they have successfully stolen at least one tank, a KV-2, from Pravda. They may have stolen another as well. This, coupled with their constant attempts to convince the other schools to give them free tanks, leads me to believe that they plan to abandon their school entirely and go into business for themselves.

4: Mika is actually incredibly self-centered, and has no qualms about withholding information and food from the other two. After winning a match against one of the other schools, the two younger girls were very excited about getting a free meal, until they found out that Mika had already eaten a meal with the other school before the match and didn't tell them about it.

Needless to say, this was all pretty shocking and completely changes how I view their group. There was also some interesting new info about some of the other schools as well, such as:

Anchovy's twintail hairdo is actually a wig, but she wants everyone to think it's her real hair.

St. Gloriana wants a Firefly of their own, but getting one isn't so easy. Turns out the tanks their school uses are predetermined by a committee within the school itself. Even if the sensha-do team has the money for the tank, they still have to convince the committee to authorize the purchase and use of the tank.

Chi-ha-tan are xenophobic. They are terrified of foreigners and foreign words, recoiling in fear when Klara and Nonna of Pravda start speaking in Russian. They also have never tasted pasta or pizza, which shocked Anchovy when she invited them to one of Anzio's traditional after-match feasts.

Even after winning the Nationals and the match against the university team, Ooarai are still too poor to afford any new tanks.

Anzio wants to expand their arsenal with more P40s, but are in a similar financial situation to Ooarai and cannot afford to.

The girls of Saunders have apparently watched the movie Fury recently, because they discussed the events of the film's Sherman-versus-Tiger scene (without naming the film) just before a match with Black Forest Peak.
[Redacted]

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:07 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Ok, so I've been playing GuP: Dream Tank Match a lot lately. Assuming the story events (specifically those in Domination Battle mode) in the game are canon, some very interesting background info about Jatkosota has been revealed.

1: The reason they only have one tank is that they are not their school's entire sensha-do team, they are a small detachment that went AWOL. They can no longer find or make contact with their school ship, and therefore are unable to call in backup or aid. This is a direct result of their leader Mika's aimless drifting. It is uncertain whether or not they will ever rejoin their school ship, since leader Mika apparently gives zero fucks about going back and completing her education.

2: They are swindlers who survive by charming people and stealing their stuff. After a match with Pravda, Mika and crew made off with a supply of Pravda rations and the ingredients for Katyusha's borscht,
among other things. Mika distracted the Pravda leaders while the two younger girls stole the stuff.

3: They may be looking to expand their ranks, since they have successfully stolen at least one tank, a KV-2, from Pravda. They may have stolen another as well. This, coupled with their constant attempts to convince the other schools to give them free tanks, leads me to believe that they plan to abandon their school entirely and go into business for themselves.

4: Mika is actually incredibly self-centered, and has no qualms about withholding information and food from the other two. After winning a match against one of the other schools, the two younger girls were very excited about getting a free meal, until they found out that Mika had already eaten a meal with the other school before the match and didn't tell them about it.

Needless to say, this was all pretty shocking and completely changes how I view their group.

That’s all... extremely Finnish ^_^

Anchovy's twintail hairdo is actually a wig, but she wants everyone to think it's her real hair.

Her adorableness has just increased 1000%.

St. Gloriana wants a Firefly of their own, but getting one isn't so easy. Turns out the tanks their school uses are predetermined by a committee within the school itself. Even if the sensha-do team has the money for the tank, they still have to convince the committee to authorize the purchase and use of the tank.

Interesting, and kind of insane. Who wouldn’t want a Firefly? Is it because it’s based on an American design?

Chi-ha-tan are xenophobic. They are terrified of foreigners and foreign words, recoiling in fear when Klara and Nonna of Pravda start speaking in Russian. They also have never tasted pasta or pizza, which shocked Anchovy when she invited them to one of Anzio's traditional after-match feasts.

No wonder they do everything like the IJA, then. A match between them and a China-based team would be the most brutal one in the show.

Anzio wants to expand their arsenal with more P40s, but are in a similar financial situation to Ooarai and cannot afford to.

Literally Italy in WWII. I love all the WWII jokes this show makes :D
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Ok, so I've been playing GuP: Dream Tank Match a lot lately...

This stuff reads like somebody mistook Motto Rabu Rabu Sakusen for a serious addition to the canon.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:14 am

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:This stuff reads like somebody mistook Motto Rabu Rabu Sakusen for a serious addition to the canon.

If you noticed, I put "Assuming this is canon" right in the post. I'm not sure whether it is or not, but so far I haven't seen any established canon info that contradicts it.
[Redacted]

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm

I can understand blatant bootlegs of merch, but the extending the restriction to doujins is surprising.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ds/.133122
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:44 pm

How strange to restrict free advertising.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Japan has generally had more tolerance for doujins as derivative works in particular, so trying to restrict their distribution is a head scratcher.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:41 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:I love all the WWII jokes this show makes :D

Yes. So much yes. GuP is love, GuP is life :'D
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:07 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Japan has generally had more tolerance for doujins as derivative works in particular, so trying to restrict their distribution is a head scratcher.

There has been a certain rise of sales of doujin products outside the events those products are usually mandated for, by the original doujin makers (i.e. not second-hand), on sites such as Yahoo Auctions Japan (a great way to get rid of left-over stock... :wink: ). That would normally be against the licensing conditions for doujin products, as the rules for the events usually explicitly mention that doujin makers are granted a one- or two-day license to sell their stuff at an event (and not outside of it).

Also, doujinshi are increasingly sold at events outside Japan where copyright rules may be different, and it would not surprise me if some over-zealous idiot foreign importer would force the original Japanese authors to block doujin products.

You may also wonder whether this encompasses all doujin products or only those depicting sexual acts by underage characters, as there has been a bit of a crackdown on those more recently.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:48 pm

Looks like we're finally getting a US release of GuP: das Finale (Part 1) on September 14th. I just happened across the pre-order page while browsing Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Girls-Panzer-Das ... 9629&psc=1

Sure took them long enough.
[Redacted]

Return to “Anime and Manga”