Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Tabris
Tabris
Age: 30
Posts: 975
Joined: Oct 24, 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Today i saw Godzilla Monster Planet on Netflix.

SPOILER: Show
To be honest, i enjoyed it more than Shin Godzilla. The future scifi Earth environment was lush and the human factor didn't bother me. My only question is whether or not Yuko Tani survived the evacuation attempt if for no other reason than to provide a cliche love triangle in the sequel between her, Haruo and the native girl?
And so Javert, you see it's true. This man bears no more guilt than you! Who am I? TWO-FOUR-SIX-OH-OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! - Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4643
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Everywhere
Gender: Male

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:35 pm

The second anime Godzilla movie has been given a Japanese release date of May 18.
If they follow a similar release pattern to the first film then it should hit Netflix worldwide something in mid-to-late-July.
You can probably already stencil in the third & final film for a Japanese release in mid-November 2018.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
Posts: 360
Joined: Jan 16, 2018
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Gender: Male

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby VUX » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Which Godzilla or kaiju film do you guys think is the worst?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 72
Posts: 10041
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Well, do you have a view? (I don't because I've only ever seen one - hints what to avoid would be useful for me when I decide to go into it further.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "Suki da, Yano" - Bokura ga ita ep.21 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
Posts: 360
Joined: Jan 16, 2018
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Gender: Male

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby VUX » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 pm

I would have to say Godzillas Revenge
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Godzilla 1998 is the worst Godzilla movie. Worst Japanese Godzilla movie would have to be ...... Son of Godzilla. I can even forgive Godzilla's Revenge due to its sharp commentary on the decaying family structure of Japan at the time of its making. Son of just kinda runs in place and doesn't do much other than suggest that monsters are birthed from mountains.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
Posts: 360
Joined: Jan 16, 2018
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Gender: Male

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby VUX » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 pm

I know everybody craps on the 1998 film, but "Zilla" has evolved into a monster in his own right. Besides, i'd rather be mauled to death by a bear than listen to the main child character in Godzilla's revenge
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:03 pm

See, Zilla 98 is a bad Godzilla movie because it’s actually a half decent remake of Beast of 20,000 Fathoms.

Gus Hanson
Tabris
Tabris
Age: 30
Posts: 975
Joined: Oct 24, 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Godzilla vs. Hedorah, ugly as fuck is that Hedorah monster and don't even get me started on the G-Man "flying"... :irked: I haven't seen Megalon yet but I think the kid that was in Hedorah was also in Megalon and if his performance in Hedorah is anything to go with, I don't think I would like Megalon that much. As for Godzilla's Revenge, Ichiro never got under my skin even with the dub being the only source of my viewing.
And so Javert, you see it's true. This man bears no more guilt than you! Who am I? TWO-FOUR-SIX-OH-OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! - Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4643
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Everywhere
Gender: Male

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Celebration.
And a bummer.

First the celebration:
According to TOHO, after these poor placeholder anime movies are finished and Warner Brothers GODZILLA VS. KONG hits theatres in 2020, they plan to start a whole new run of live action Godzilla movies with at least one new entry coming out every two years or so. Though they intend/hope to get that down to one movie annually. They’ve loosely called it a Cinematic Universe but Godzilla has been doing that since forever so that just sounds like marketing. Basically, it will be whole new Godzilla era with new Toho versions of Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc and the characterswill eventually meet up in versus films and the like. They plan to start this New Era of Godzilla in 2021 because that’s when the contract restrictions from signing over the characters to Warner Brothers for their live action films expires. The contract Toho signed with WB stipulated they couldn’t do live action Godzilla films while WB & Legendary were working on their Godzilla franchise which is still leading up to Adam Wingard’s VS. film in 2020. Toho must have worked out a deal that they could do one live action (Anno’s Film) and then turned to animation films in lieu of live action as a placeholder. So the insanely large wave of new Godzilla films continues with the two remaining Anime movies coming out this year (Part 2 is in Japanese theaters right now & probably will hit Netflix in July & Part 3 is set for Japanese release in November), then Warner Brothers GODZILLA: KING OF MONSTERS in 2019, GODZILLA VS. KONG in 2020, then new Toho films on the regular AND any (possibly) future Warner Brothers movies if they feel it is financially worthwhile to continue.

The bummer:
There will be no sequel to Hideak Anno’s SHIN GODZILLA. His film & his version of the character was less suited for a “World of Godzilla” so the film will remain a standalone entry and Toho will instead continue down a whole new path removed from what Anno did. Most likely I would guess Godzilla will get another redesign for the future Toho films that will make him a little more “audience friendly” & “heroic”.

Bright side of the bummer:
Shin Godzilla will remain a masterpiece (in my eyes at least) and will not be harmed by lesser sequels trying to build off what Hideaki Anno & Shinji Higuchi did.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/toho-is-planning-a-godzilla-cinematic-universe-and-shi-1826177988

https://www.facebook.com/GormaruIsland/posts/2210102859218786

P.S. Based from what I’ve seen on Twitter, in the second limp noodle of a “film” that makes up this Anime Trilogy:

SPOILER: Show
They spend the entire 100 minute running time building up to MechaGodzilla and then pretty much the movie cuts to black & ends before he does anything. Be sure to buy your ticket for Part 3. Yup.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Woooow, Toho doesn’t even seem to be trying to hide the fact that Animezilla is just padded filler, huh?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8717
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm

I don't really think Anno's Godzilla not getting a sequel is a bummer. It's a perfect standalone film.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4643
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Everywhere
Gender: Male

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 pm

AnimeGodzilla is pure time filler. I’m sure Toho makes a sweet deal off of whatever sales the Warner Brothers/Legendary films do so the anime films purely existed to just hold things over until the MonsterVerse profits started rolling in again in 2019 & 2020. I don’t even think the anime movies are netting Toho much of a profit in the long run outside of selling the international rights to Netflix. The second anime film opened in eight place at the Japanese box office last weekend.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 3360
Joined: Jun 17, 2012
Location: Earth-33

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blue Monday » Tue May 22, 2018 6:04 am

Glad to be getting more Japanese Godzilla to be honest, and I'm satisfied they're leaving Anno's as standalone. I do wonder though, and thought on the odd occasion since having seen it, what the hell a sequel would be like, considering the stinger/coda in the film. I also wonder how much, if any, tokusatsu will feature in these new slate of films. I can't see much if any if they're studio driven. The practical effects in Shin Godzilla would've been all Higuchi, Anno and crew.

I still haven't seen the animated one either; the CG animation style I just find off-putting. Is it worth trudging through?
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue May 22, 2018 4:24 pm

^ I think it is, but only because watching a Godzilla film is a forgone conclusion for me. (I’ve even found enjoyable aspects of Godzilla’s Revenge.)

However, even I’ll admit that I almost fell asleep multiple times during Anime Godzilla. Second only to Zilla 1998 in how boring and bad it is.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot
Age: 27
Posts: 2051
Joined: Feb 24, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby movieartman » Tue May 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks for the news Gendo'sPapa.
This is probably for the best for the long term vitality of the franchise. I think they could have continued Shin G into something like this. Just have SG evolve into a smaller, more intelligent heisei body styled Godzilla, the solidified body of Shin acting as a Cocoon.

View Original PostVUX wrote:Which Godzilla or kaiju film do you guys think is the worst?

Revenge.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Godzilla 1998 is the worst Godzilla movie.

I am among those who like the 98 film fairly well.
- Phenomenal score.
- Great monster vs military sequences.
- CGI for the adult Godzilla holds up surprisingly well (the babies not so much)
- Solid fun cast. Don't get the hate for the blonde reporter acting-wise.

Worst Japanese Godzilla movie would have to be ...... Son of Godzilla. I can even forgive Godzilla's Revenge due to its sharp commentary on the decaying family structure of Japan at the time of its making. Son of just kinda runs in place and doesn't do much other than suggest that monsters are birthed from mountains.

I liked the tropical setting & fun tone of this & vs Sea Monster, was a nice change of pace after city destroying became kinda stagnate around Monster Zero.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I still haven't seen the animated one either; the CG animation style I just find off-putting.

Same, would have liked a animation style closer to Madhouse's X-Men anime, Bayonetta Bloody Fate (minus the 3d work on the larger angels) or the Deadshot or Scarecrow sequences of Batman Gotham Knight.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue May 22, 2018 6:47 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- Phenomenal score.
- Great monster vs military sequences.
- CGI for the adult Godzilla holds up surprisingly well (the babies not so much)
- Solid fun cast. Don't get the hate for the blonde reporter acting-wise.

- Score is actively trying to cheaply ape John William's "Jurassic Park" score, mainly due to Emmerich talso trying to cheaply ape Jurassic Park as whole.
- I think you mean "military vs New York City." They don't even land a significant blow to Zilla until the bridge scene at the end. But that poor "goddamn Chrysler Building!"
- CGI was obscured by the rain because even the director and effects crew because even they knew Adult Zilla looked bad. Again, comparing to the CGI dinosaurs in the 1993 Jurassic Park movie, it doesn't even hold a candle to those dated effects.
- Cast is great (especially the blonde) except for Matthew Broderick. I've hated him since I was five when I heard his voice as adult Simba. I've never liked any of his contributions to film. I don't even like Buller's Day Off because Broderick's leading role in the film. I hear he's good on stage, though.

However, I'll concede that 1998 Zilla is a decent comedy film in the sense that it's an okay remake of Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, featuring goofy characters and gross military mismanagement with hilarious outcomes. (That "goddamn Chrysler Building!" scene, tho.) It's just a shame that Roland Emmerich didn't realize that himself during filming.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot
Age: 27
Posts: 2051
Joined: Feb 24, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby movieartman » Tue May 22, 2018 8:14 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:- Score is actively trying to cheaply ape John William's "Jurassic Park" score

I don't see that much similarity in them.
Love these tracks...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgM55OqMvyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08imXXChnIg

Yes your correct that it's more the military being incompetent then genuine battle sequences but the film did that far better then G2014. (I would put 98 & 14 on par with each other) 98 at least gave us some nice military hardware porn. The submarine sequence remains among my favorite kajiu scenes out there.
Broderick I find more likable then ATJ's lead although not as inspiring I guess. Olsen is better then Maria Pitillo but is given far less to do.
Jene Reno = Cranston & Watanabe.
14 Godzilla is of course better, 98 Zilla = Mutos in terms of both being kinda sympathetic animalistic monsters.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 23, 2018 6:09 am

Zilla 1998's soundtrack aping Jurassic Park has less to do with melodic similarities and more to do with overall usage, which is further accentuated by the film's overall tone. For example, every Jurassic Park movie has to have its moment of peaceful grandeur with the dinosaurs before going on to the menacing dinosaurs. Sure, the film might tease at menacing dinosaurs at the very beginning of the film (that is what the audience is here to see, after all,) but usually the explicit shots of uncensored dinosaurs focus entirely on peaceful herbivores, just the Brachiosaurus scene in the original film or the Stegosaurus scene in the second one. To quote Juff Goldblum in the Stegosaurus scene in The Lost World: Jurassic Park (the second Jurassic Park film which also came out one year prior to Zilla), "Oh yeah, 'Ooh, aah,' that's how it all starts. Then later there's screaming and running." These "Ooh, aah," moments --moments that are meant to highlight the majestic, tranquil beauty of only certain scaly creatures-- are patently not indicative of Godzilla. To say that Godzilla's core appeal includes scenes of tranquil beauty featuring the monster himself would be akin to saying that the best aspect of Friedrich Nietzsche was his passionate hymns and Godly worship music. Godzilla was always a formidable force to be recounted with, showing aspects of a vengeful god rather than natural beauty. An old man in the first Godzilla movie even stated that they used to sacrifice virgins to the creature to keep this "god" from devouring all of their cattle. Yet Emmerich's accidental Beast From 20,000 Fathoms remake tries to shoe-horn a scene of majestic beauty so ham-fistesly thrown in that it unironically forgot that it stages the scene in the middle of the night during an awful rainstorm next to a pile of smelly fish; which is also hilariously tone deaf because the film tries to lampshade the small fish in the same way Jeff Goldblum's character lampshades the "one big pile of shit" from Jurassic Park. Roland Emmerich is earnestly trying to stage a scene aiming for the tranquil beauty of the Brachiosaurus scene with the grim and unwelcoming aesthetics of the T-Rex escape scene and a referential set piece from the "pile of shit" scene.

And, at the end of it all, there are still musical similarities between the music in The Feeding scene in Zilla and the Brachiosaurus scene in Jurassic Park. Just compare the music in the clip above to the music when the Brachiosaurus first appears in Jurassic Park. Heck, compare the entire scene in Jurassic Park and how its momentary semblance and its structural purpose in the overall film were mimicked in the Zilla movie's clip above. It's undeniable. "We would sacrifice virgins to Godzilla" has been replaced with "'Ooh, aah,' that's how it all starts. Then later there's screaming and running;" and Friedrich Nietzsche sings "Be Thou My Vision" boldly and proudly in his church choir.

And then the scene in Zilla ends with the military literally going "I can't see! We're offline! Oh well, fire at will anyway." Hilarious. The only difference between Zilla and Dr. Strangelove is that Kubrick was intentional with his humor of military incompetence, whereas Emmerich is funny to watch because he simply doesn't know what he's was talking about.

The submarine sequence is another one of the funniest things in that film for similar reason. Godzilla literally instigates a civil war between three U.S. subs. Seriously, Kubrick would have known to do with tis humor. Emmerich has trouble even distinguishing it as humor.

Someone needs to re-edit or otherwise reimagine Zilla as a Kubrick-esque black comedy. It's the only way for that film to realize its full potential.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1210
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed May 23, 2018 6:44 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:See, Zilla 98 is a bad Godzilla movie because it’s actually a half decent remake of Beast of 20,000 Fathoms.


This is my thoughts as well as if they renamed it and said it was beast of 20,000 remake I'd be perfectly fine with it as it fits the beast way more story wise and the death scene also fits better as the beast was killed on a fair ground if I remember right and that was by trapping it in side the grounds and firing at it but It just doesn't work as godzilla movie as you say.

SPOILER: Show
Image


Also Zilla has always stirred deep anger in me because it was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw as a very young teen and because it came across the way it did I assumed all Japanese Godzilla movies were like this and didn't watch or try to see the the real thing it wasn't until the web hit off fully that I looked again and realized I was wrong and started buying the region 1 DVD so I could watch the movie series as in the UK at the time they were never aired on any regular basis and all you got was images in horror/sci fi magazines now and again.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3


Return to “Film and Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests