What happen to Soryu ?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: What happen to Soryu ?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Wait, really? Welp, time to rewatch NGE, how could I forget something as important as that :facepalm:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

anonymaus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm

The only real difference between Soryu and Shikinami besides the name is the feelings towards dolls. Most of the other perceived differences are ultimately the result of different circumstances, and you could also say that the writer's wishes are different now.
I made a theory that Soryu is in a separate timeline, possibly the previous one after it was reset, possibly within Shinji's SDAT player, and we're hearing her speaking to him through the songs in Rebuild's ED tracks.

It seems that every character besides Shinji who wasn't inside the black moon at the end of EoE got renamed for Rebuild. So it may be the case that all of these characters exist in the other timeline, too.

Gendo Rokubungi (chomped by Yui, never seen in EoE instrumentality) > Gendo Ikari
Yui Ikari (floating into space within the core of Unit 01) > Yui Ayanami
Asuka Soryu (on the shore at Hakone) > Asuka Shikinami

I have a vague feeling that Shikinami's affinity for dolls, a direct reversal of Soryu's feelings on the matter, has to do with how she came to be somehow. It may be the case that revealing anything of Shikinami's backstory would reveal something critical and timeline related about the plot of Rebuild.
I never paid much attention to Gendo or Yui, but it would be interesting to see if they have minor differences in Rebuild similar to Asuka's thing with dolls.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 am

There may be a deeper reason behind Asuka’s name change, but first and foremost, I think should robably ask why Asuka was named after an aircraft carrier to begin with in NGE.

Why was Asuka named after an aircraft carrier in NGE? Because the audience first meets her on an aircraft carrier.

Why isn’t Asuka named after an aircraft carrier in NTE? Because we didn’t first meet her on an aircraft carrier.

Why is the default naming for Eva characters otherwise lean more towards destroyer class ships? I dunno.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”