Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:
SPOILER: Show
The claw-ish thingy on the front always made me think it was supposed to grip things and push them around. I don't now if it makes sense for a space forklift to have interstellar flight capability, though. Pushing cargo in space probably makes more sense than pulling it, I suppose. Easier to maneuver it, right?

In the Legends category, the YT-1300 (which is the stock version of the Millennium Falcon), it does not have the wedge thing like the toy. Obviously Disney is doing a remodel to show off, or its a modification Lando added that was removed.
Reference  SPOILER: Show
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Normally I wouldn't bother posting something like this, but it points out there are a lot of missing scenes from the trailer that are absent from the movie. Is there any chance we'll ever see them?

The trailers featured footage which was ultimately re-shot/re-done during the reshoots. There's also a fair amount of Rogue One merchandise which reflects the film prior to the reshoots, for instance Pop Vinyl figures of Forest Whitaker without hair (as he appears in the trailers) and a Lego set which depicts Jyn Erso and others fighting on the beach (IIRC also shown in the trailers, but not in the final film).

AFAIK none of the cut scenes were included on the Rogue One DVD/Blu-Ray release. The most I can find is a video which compiles the scenes from the trailers which don't appear in the final film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tAJhH2_uZE

I am interested in seeing the original cut of Rogue One someday, though with the way things in this franchise are going, I feel like the likelihood of an original cut release is approximately three thousand seven hundred and twenty to one.
Voluntary Illusion.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 am

Never tell me the odds!
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

I finally saw Last Jedi and. . . . I honestly don't get the hate.

Full thoughts once I've had some time to think about it. But for the moment? I think it's a good movie.

Perfect? No. It runs a bit too long, suffers from LOTR-level 'multiple endings' syndrome, Has waaaaaaay too many plotpoints to follow, the slapstick comedy came within a hairs width of causing tonal dissonance, not enough R2D2.

But through it all.
I'm glad that they sent Luke Skywalker out on the highest possible note they possibly could have,

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:04 am

After having the droids gratuitously shoved in our faces during the prequel era I'm glad they have cameo roles only.

I get the whole thing of the two droids being involved in everything and why they're there and how they were inspired by Japanese theatre but the prequels just made them feel so forced that any further additions to the series have to address that.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I finally saw Last Jedi and. . . . I honestly don't get the hate.

Full thoughts once I've had some time to think about it. But for the moment? I think it's a good movie.

Pretty much everyone's thoughts on the movie.

It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:Pretty much everyone's thoughts on the movie.

I agree with the captain plasma one because that feels like pure tokenism like look what we did we gave you all your first female storm trooper but we are not bothered with her character because we want to sell toys and merchandise while patting ourselves on the back and oh dear we just killed her off, because we couldn't be bothered with doing any more character development on her. I mean they don't even go in to how to she got out the trash comparator....yes I know there's a comic that shows it but I shouldn't have to read it to find out because the movie failed to fill the gap.

Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:17 pm

It truly couldn't matter less how Phasma got out of the compactor. For them to even spend thirty seconds of screen time to try to explain this would be a crime. Nobody needs an explanation for what happened to Vader after he went spinning into space at the end of A New Hope, alone in a tie fighter (which has established precedence in the film for not being able to survive out in space alone).
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 am

I had to watch it a second time to fully appreciate the movie; lord it was a mistake to go to the premiere and have people all around talk in "coolz meme-talk11!" (it sounds extremely ridiculous in Greek, let me tell you) and couldn't listen half the time what the heck was being said.

Having watched it a second time, I liked it; sure, I didn't walk out feeling the absolute "wow"-sentiment I felt with Rogue One for example, but it was quite good. I've got to admit, Adam Driver made half the movie for me- man, the guy can act! Sure I can nitpick here and there, but overall it was a pretty enjoyable movie. Got goosebumps after the (in)famous Red Room scene and what went down from there. Luke is still the real boss.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:00 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Ultimately, these Disney Star Wars movies still feel off-genre for me. I think that's my biggest issue with these things. Original Star Wars was, at its core, a series of fantasy movies.

I think this is because of a sense of childish wonder that was in the originals. I'd say each director of the newer films has felt like it was time to make more "adult" Star Wars. Since imitating what those films were is probably hard as hell.
I don't think this is bad though. The sequel trilogy in general is kind of a harsh reality, in which the rebel victory was "for nothing" and the og cast is going through a lot of crap. Kylo also feels more real in his anger than any character before in Star Wars.
So I think it's kinda fitting that they feel less like fantasy.
I have to wonder if this was JJ's intention (I mean, he did introduce Kylo), R. Johnson seems to have done this very conciously.

I'm personally enjoying the new movies a lot. TFA is a movie I would have done very differently, I still love it though, and it gave us Kylo Ren, who is by now one of my favourite Star Wars characters.
Rogue One, I dunno. I enjoy it for what it is.
Last Jedi I loved. Some imperfections, and honestly, if you're gonna subvert some expectations, go all the way man. I think it could have been more challenging and interesting than it is, but I'm very happy with what we got.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:26 pm

I finally got around to watching The Force Awakens and Rogue One. I ended up enjoying them a lot more than I thought I would.

TFA, while basically being a ANH clone, I found to be more enjoyable than the latter two prequel films. It's nowhere near the top of my list, but it's a solid entry. Poe and Finn wound up becoming my favorite new characters. I really wanted to like Rey because, hey, finally a prominent female lightsaber-user in the main film series. Unfortunately, I was unimpressed with her lack of personality and disproportionate skill level for her origins. I mean, she picks up a weapon she's never used before (lightsaber) and bests a prominent dark side user who has had years of training despite having absolutely no force-usage training herself. At least post-TPM Anakin had a few moments where he failed big time and had to pay the price. Rey never has to face consequences for her actions because she can fight, talk, and repair her way out of anything. I'm ok with static characters that don't develop, as long as their level of skill is explained by their rank or past experiences. Palpatine is a good example of this type of character in the prequels. He starts off basically perfect and has no character development at all in the entire saga, but he doesn't need it because he is already established from the get-go as being a master Sith Lord. His skill level is believable because it fits his backstory. Rey, as a scavenger with no training, shouldn't be anywhere near as good as she is. I also think the actress they picked was a poor choice for the role.

As for Kylo, easily my least favorite dark side user in the series. He radiates weakness, which is not good for a character who is supposed to be the face of the new big bad regime. His shocking immaturity and lack of saber skills, combined with the most prominent feature of his character being his Vader fanboyism, make the First Order look like a joke. He gets his butt kicked in a saber fight by an untrained scavenger, for crying out loud. That would be like Luke jumping into the fight after Obi-Wan dies and besting Vader with a lightsaber in ANH. It makes Kylo come across as a cosplaying fanboy who's been given a prominent leadership role, rather than an intimidating villain.

Rogue One was a film I really enjoyed, and is now in my top four favorite SW films. It had a diverse cast of characters who, while being somewhat underdeveloped, were at least far more visually distinct than their TFA counterparts. Chirrut ended up being my favorite, as I liked his personality, background, and design the most. I also love the idea of there being more monk-like force users in the galaxy who fight using weapons other than lightsabers, really cool idea there. As for Jyn, I liked her more than Rey, although she does suffer from some of the same issues. At least her instant badness dial wasn't turned up to 11 like it was with Rey, and she had a personality to speak of. Her skills were also backed up by her established background as a resistance fighter. She also had some noticeable bounce going on in a few scenes. Visible bounce is a sign that the force loves us and wants us to be happy. As for Cassian, he was a decent main character I guess. His biggest flaw was being too soft-spoken, to the point where it was hard to hear him at certain points during the film. The romance between him and Jyn at the end did feel forced, though. They spent most of the film clashing, and he did try to kill her father, and now they're making out? Oh well, still a more believable romance than Padmanakin, I guess.

The film did have some other issues, such as the slow start and some canon-breaking elements like the original Death Star being able to target objects the size of capital ships, but it was mostly made up for by the Scarif battle, which is going down as my favorite land battle sequence in the entire saga. The whole thing was visually stunning, and I love how it featured space-to-ground combat for the first time in the saga, with both the land and space forces backing each other up. Finally we got to see the big picture of what goes on during one of these battles.

Overall, my current ranking of the films from favorite to least favorite looks like this:

Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

I haven't seen The Last Jedi yet, but I'll be getting the blu-ray on the 27th of March. I'm really hoping TLJ will change my mind about Rey and Kylo and make me like them as characters, but judging by what I've seen, that seems unlikely.
[Redacted]

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Disney announced 26 release dates for the blockbusters over the next few years today. Most of these dates are simply “Untitled” but since the theatrical release calendar is becoming more set with movie franchises becoming almost like annual holidays a few of these dates are guaranteed for Star Wars movies.

My hypothesis?

They have an Untitled Movie set for May 29, 2020. That’s a Star Wars. They won’t release one in December of that year because Disney’s new other super-franchise AVATAR release its first sequel on December 18.

Disney has an Untitled Movie set for May 28, 2021. That’s a Star War. Won’t be a December release because of AVATAR 3 in December.

Untitled Movie set for May 27, 2022. That’s a Star War. Then on December 16, 2022 you’ll get another Star War. No AVATAR sequel that year. It will have taken a while but Disney will finally feel comfortable going to a galaxy far, far away twice a year starting in 2022.

You can quote me. Star Wars nerds calendar for the next few years is :
May 25, 2018 - SOLO: A Star Wars Story
December 20, 2019 - Star Wars: Episode IX
Fall 2019/Winter 2020 - First Big Budget Live Action Star Wars series only on Disney Streaming.
May 29, 2020 - A New Star Wars Story. Maybe SOLO 2: DUO if the movie is not a total wash.
May 28, 2021 - A New Star Wars Story. Maybe the start of that trilogy by the Game of Thrones guys.
May 27, 2022 - Another Star Wars Story. Maybe an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie.
December 16, 2022 - First Entry in Rian Johnson’s Star Wars Trilogy.

Then aside from 2023 & 2024 when those Decembers belong to AVATAR 4 & 5 (if they happen) from here until perpetuity there’s a new Star Wars every late May & mid-December. Until they decide to move up to three Star Wars a year in like 2027. Plus a New Star Wars TV series or two every year on Disney Streaming to boot.

Pop culture is gonna be in a galaxy far, far away for a while.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 pm

I wouldn't pay the game of thrones guys to shine my shoes much less make three movies that collectively cost a billion dollars.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Disney announced 26 release dates for the blockbusters over the next few years today. Most of these dates are simply “Untitled” but since the theatrical release calendar is becoming more set with movie franchises becoming almost like annual holidays a few of these dates are guaranteed for Star Wars movies.

*Sacrifices many Darth Maul figures in front of an enshrined Qui-Gon Jinn figure*
O Master Jinn, please return in your own standalone film in the near future, that our modern televisions may be graced with your holiness in both full HD and stunning 4K. I know that thou art not inclined to sense anything, but please sense my plea and return to us.

If anything, hopefully we'll get some likable saber-wielders who aren't overpowered as fuck in these new films. The ones introduced in the sequel trilogy have been... uninspiring at best.
[Redacted]

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:12 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion#874762 wrote:*Sacrifices many Darth Maul figures in front of an enshrined Qui-Gon Jinn figure*
O Master Jinn, please return in your own standalone film in the near future, that our modern televisions may be graced with your holiness in both full HD and stunning 4K. I know that thou art not inclined to sense anything, but please sense my plea and return to us.

When it comes to a Qui-Gon film, I don’t sense anything.

But, if the rumours of an Obi-Wan movie are true, Qui Gon could appear as a Force ghost. The book From A Certain Point of View confirmed that he could appear as a Force ghost by the time of ANH.

If anything, hopefully we'll get some likable saber-wielders who aren't overpowered as fuck in these new films. The ones introduced in the sequel trilogy have been... uninspiring at best.

I hope that they’re likable, but I also hope that they are overpowered. Because Revan is overpowered. And I hope that the films are about Revan.

P.S. Anglerfish team is best team and Yukari is best girl.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:12 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I wouldn't pay the game of thrones guys to shine my shoes much less make three movies that collectively cost a billion dollars.

Nether would I GOT when you break it down is not a good series in my view it gets it's rating through shock value not smart story telling and there changes from the books have caused issues in places so I think what there dong is a huge risk. Also David Benioff is the same person who wrote Wolverine origins movie back in 2009 and despite studio interference I don't feel that was ever a good script to start with despite them cutting out Wolverines ptsd and screwing over Deadpool's character. It also concerns me how much there putting out as there's a danger of saturating the market and they should be giving movies more time to build up so fans feel more to feel more anticipation and excitement.

There's a great video on this by Georg Rockall-Schmidt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCyxMeEaNq4&ab_channel=GeorgRockall-Schmidt
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

I don’t need to sell anyone on hating them but what’s troubling, with the speed and complexity of these productions, is that these guys are bad at logistics. The reason the Dorne plotline in the show was such a disaster is that they insisted on filming at the Alhambra and the restrictions on the production and ultra tight shooting schedule ruined it. The most infuriating part is that they mostly used it for interiors. There was nothing stopping them from dressing up another location or even filming on a set, and they ended up putting out rushed action scenes that were basically first takes with no rehearsal and screwed over Alexander Siddig.

A Star Wars production is goin to be complicated. Expect a lot of rushed script doctoring, complaints from the set, forced reshoots, etc. It baffles me that they went with them. Disney seems to have the firm grasp of brand management you need to make these big franchises a success, but so far the Disney Star Wars has been hit or miss.

It should be the same thing as bringing Marvel to screen. Star Wars hasn’t been around as long but there’s a fertile mine of ideas they can tap outside of the main Rise and Fall of Anakin Skywalker sequence.
the prophecy is true

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:When it comes to a Qui-Gon film, I don’t sense anything.

But, if the rumours of an Obi-Wan movie are true, Qui Gon could appear as a Force ghost. The book From A Certain Point of View confirmed that he could appear as a Force ghost by the time of ANH.

I hope that they’re likable, but I also hope that they are overpowered. Because Revan is overpowered. And I hope that the films are about Revan.

Yeah, sadly it looks like the Obi-Wan movie will be our only chance to see Qui-Gon for some time. If he does appear in it, hopefully a new generation of Qui-Gon fans will arise so we can eventually get a standalone film of him either training a teenage Obi-Wan, or back when he himself was training under Dooku.

As far as overpowered saber users go, I guess I'm ok with them as long as their background explains their power level. But please, no more Chosen Ones or Instant Jedi Knights. They came so close to doing it right with Finn in TFA, but of course he had to hand the saber over to Rey, and I doubt he'll get another one.

P.S. Anglerfish team is best team and Yukari is best girl.

Why am I reading heresy in this thread!? Just kidding. I do recognize Yukari as the Exalted Tank Fairy, but do not grant her the rank of Best Girl. That reminds me, my copy of GuP: Dream Tank Match arrived on Friday, but I haven't been able to play it due to the damn wind storm knocking the power out for 2 days. I need to get on that now that the power is back on...
[Redacted]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Hey everybody. After some reorganization, and due to the abundance of SW content cluttering the place, I've created a sister server to the EGF discord focusing entirely on Star Wars. Similar layout as the EGF server. I would love to interact with more Star Wars fans, and discuss the various films and series coming out. The place is brand new and still empty, but please stop by and join us: https://discord.gg/wWYPwjb
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 am

I'll check it out. :)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Film and Video”