Darling in the Franxx (Studio Trigger)

All Studio Trigger stuff goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Darling in the Franxx (Studio Trigger)

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:49 am

The characters are just too simple (at leaat for now).
Tbh I watch it more out of curiosity than excitement. Episode 6 was really good though and made me more hopeful again.
You know what'll get people excited? Promare. My most anticipated anime next to Evangelion.
Not every Trigger show is Imaishi/Nakashima caliber.

Also lol at the Kardashian thing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:34 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: the show has been tanking in general measures of popularity in Japan

Why Japan. It's one of the better anime this season!
I don't know anything about popularity and viewer rates though, so maybe this tanking isn't that bad. It's not like it being unpopular will affect the show, so why should I even care.

Well, then again, this show could still turn out to be terrible, either trough an awful middle portion(like KlK) or have a terrible ending. I'm staying hopeful though. None of the episodes have been bad so far.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Well, then again, this show could still turn out to be terrible, either trough an awful middle portion(like KlK)

Not to disrespect your view on this, but I don't see how any episode of Franxx so far has reached the quality of any episode of KlK.
That show's writing and direction were miles ahead of Franxx. The characters were also just more charismatic.
So far the characters in Franxx are all one character trait that keeps repeating itself in each episode.
It's imo pretty shallow entertainment so far (with hints of possibly more depth later on), though it is enjoyable generally.
(There are also particulat scenes between characters that work really well, but the show has yet to do something really interesting).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:09 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:It's not like it being unpopular will affect the show, so why should I even care.
I was trying to guide Cybermat47's expectations vis-a-vis this being another show in the mould of Kill la Kill, rather than, say, being Kiznaiver with mechs.

While absolute popularity is not the same as quality*, the popularity trend in Japan and the level of thread activity here give a measure of the enthusiasm being generated. Considering DarliFra as a Trigger show (even though it isn't), we observe that while Kill la Kill generated enthusiasm and an energetic thread here, Kiznaiver or Inou Battle didn't get any more than routine mentions in the "what are you watching" thread. DarliFra may not have the Mari Okada kiss of death on it like Kiznaiver did, but it has subsided from initial good levels to one that only indicates comfortable mediocrity of response.

*For example, by the most recent figures I've seen, Fate/Cooking is likely to generate twice the sales of DarliFra.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:33 pm

While it isn't technically a Trigger show, the involvement of people like Nishigori, Imaishi and Sushio gives it that connection.
Animation is no substitute for direction and writing though.

Btw, for Trigger fans: A Gridman show is coming this year (inspired by the short they did for Anno's animator expo).

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:08 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: but it has subsided from initial good levels to one that only indicates comfortable mediocrity of response.

*For example, by the most recent figures I've seen, Fate/Cooking is likely to generate twice the sales of DarliFra.

Wow. I mean the Fate cooking show is fun to watch, but damn.

About the reception KlK got here, could any show generate that amount of enthusiasm here now? I had the impression the forum was more active back then. Then again, I see many regard KlK has a classic these days, something that I'll never get.

kuribo: You have to understand that I only even finished KlK because people in this forum spoke highly of it. Back then I got bored with the show early on(I don't remember on what episodes though) but I kept going because everybody liked so there must have been something there. I sat through the dull episodes at the middle and actually ended up liking it.

But that was all. I just liked it. I gave it a 7 on mal and that was it. I never though much about it afterwards.
Your opinion and mine are almost opposite. You say KlKs direction and writing were much better than Darling but I have the opposite idea. The characters in KlK were charismatic, yes, but so are the ones in Darling and were only halfway through.

I don't think Darling Franx is deep but it doesn't need to be! I didn't find KlK to be a deep show either and I enjoyed it. My favorite anime, Yamato 2199, isn't deep at all, it's just a really good action/adventure anime.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:41 pm

I won't go into a big KlK tangent.
It's fine to disagree obviously. I just think much more highly of it, and I think there was a lot of stuff to read into.

With Franxx, the characters that we do know about (I exclude Zero Two because she is a total mystery) seem too simple to me. I'm thinking the idea is to be a study of relationships in an environment without preconceived ideas. The characters don't even know what a kiss is. That has potential, but right now it's working on a pretty superficial level, and even if depth comes later, I wonder if we needed 7 episodes for what has been told so far. It seems like a wasted opportunity imo. The drama has been kind of repetitive (same things pondered several times without adding too much). It feels a little to me like 24 episodes is too long and they are trying to fill the initial episodes with stuff.

Who knows what will come later, but so far I am a little sad that my excitement has deflated when compared to the first episode.
Btw I think I sounded too harsh earlier. I am enjoying it and I watch the episodes ASAP (which means a week later...no premium Crunchyroll, last episode for me was 7). I just expected more after the first episode, and I'm not really feeling it I guess.
The show is also a little too pervy for my taste, but let's see where it goes with that.
There's plenty of positives too, like a lot of the jokes working for me, the action being mostly really good, Zero Two being cool and some of the songs being stuck in my head lol.

Also Goro is a cool dude.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Justacrazyguy wrote:About the reception KlK got here, could any show generate that amount of enthusiasm here now?

Yea,the forum was much more active back then, and there were a lot of prolific posters who watched the anime(and listened to music and read books...I miss 2014!). I was looking at a couple pages and a lot of the users talking about it we don't really see too much of around here anymore. I wish I posted more on here and could get some more conversations going, but I'm A. not too confident of my writing or critiquing skills(I used to be into writing fiction, but I never liked having to explain why I liked or didn't like something) and B. I'm at the job for most of my day and I'd rather watch anime or read some manga than (poorly) write about anime.

I always love to see what crazyguy, chaz, Mr. Hodges, Mr. Tines, rober, and esselfortium (and any other current regular users I may have missed) have to say about current and past animay, but we all don't seem to be the type of users who can make a thread, like, explode with each episode that drops. And I don't mean that in any negative way, I have nothing but respect for the fellow users I mentioned.

Also, KlK had the its director and the fact that it was a straight up Trigger show going for it that more EGFers would watch it.There seems to be an incredibly unfair belief out there that the only studios that ever put out decent anime are Gainax and Trigger(and I guess Khara). But I do think all Eva fans should be watching this show. I'm with you too there JaCG about my feelings on KlK, but I don't want to derail the thread!

Personally I've been really loving Darling, and I've been quite excited to get up and watch it every Saturday. Part of it's lack of popularity or whatever I guess could be attributed to a lack of interest in mecha anime at the moment. What was the last really popular mecha series we had, TTGL? Most of the better stuff nowadays seems to be in the drama, sport, or magical genre and most of the popular stuff seems to be in the fantasy or super hero genre. Maybe kids just don't care about the mechs?

Anyways, I do really like all the characters in DarliFra. I think they've got a lot of potential(I really look forward to what they do with that silent dude Mitsuru) and I like the way that they all play off one another and that they act like actual teenagers(maybe more so than even the Children in NGE.) Yea, it might not be deep or anything but I find the show to be pretty charming and funny. And I'd rather have that than some POS show that is deep for the purpose of be deep. Every week I find myself better understanding and liking each character. And I can't wait to see how they play off the
SPOILER: Show
pilots having a short life span thing.

My only problem with the show would probably be that there isn't enough action. Episode 6 was awesome, but otherwise we haven't seen too much. NGE already had four awesome Eva battles AND JET ALONE at this point of the series.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm

2014 was awesome here, I agree.
I imagine Promare will attract more people on here due to the duo making it.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 am

My only concern with DarlingFranx right now is the payoff: payoff for the mysteries, for the world building and for the characters. It seems the entire first half of the show is setup for a "everything goes to hell" scenario in the second half, or at least that's what I want.
I've already connected with the characters, it's time to make them suffer a bit.
Maybe the next episode will give some more tiny answers.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:26 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:I always love to see what crazyguy, chaz, Mr. Hodges, Mr. Tines, rober, and esselfortium have to say about current and past animay

Yay! I’m one of the big six!

No, it isn’t my best work. Adjusting to using GIMP will take some time…

Just saw episode 8.

^ I had to laugh when I saw this.
Poor girl. The standard procedure for these things is to have her neglected and down-trodden until the 2nd or 3rd quarter, at that point she’ll prove she isn’t chopped liver and heroically sacrifice herself.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 am

chaz, that image is :rofl:

Anyway, episode 9 came out and I think it's safe to say that every episode till 12 is probably going to be focused on developing the characters further. After that, there should be some shaking up(or so I hope).

SPOILER: Show
This episode wasn't bad, but Goro isn't a character I'm terribly in love with. I feel like the episodes that deal with the characters as a group are stronger, with the episodes about Hiro and 02 being the exception, those episodes are good even without much focus on the group (also, yeah, I know there is some stuff about 02 in this episode, and I appreciate these bits, but Goro was clrearly the focus on this episode.) That said, I'm curious about what an episode with the girl with glasses could be about.

Also, all the action scenes so far have been consistently good, and I hope it stays that way. It seems unlikely at this point, but the animation could take a nosedive at some point.

---

Episode 10: Burn all the plantations. Cleanse it all with fire.

I'm getting Texhnolyze flashbacks. Excellent episode.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:13 pm

So I just watched Episode 13... and my god, that one hit hard. I was anticipating something like this happening, but this one got me good.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Me too.

All my feels.

I mean, yeah, the plotline's not 100% original, but the execution is perfect. I just hope they don't fuck this up because this has the potential to be really good.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:31 am

So, having seen the hype, I watched the raw of episode 13 to see whether I might want to pick the show up again, now it's gotten around to actually admitting what was heavily foreshadowed in episode 1 and ought by rights have been episode 6 at the latest.

My reaction was that I liked it better when it was called Elfen Lied.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:13 am

I don't really get the hype. Yes, Episode 13 was above the standard of the rest of the show, but considering how low the bar was set, is this really something to celebrate? Does that really salvage the rest of the show?
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the show, though. I love me some well executed trash. <3
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:My reaction was that I liked it better when it was called Elfen Lied.

I liked it better when it was called Neon Genesis Evangelion and the main character was stuck in the robot. Jk, jk.

Episode 13 was pretty good, though I preferred that partner switching one from a couple weeks ago I'm not too crazy about Zero Two(I don't like her attitude) which is probably why I wasn't all that wild about the latest episode. I do feel like the show is about ready to start picking up and get down to what the overall plot wants to be about, and I still think we need to see some more action, man. I love the series but it seems to be meandering a bit; my expectations for it going forward are a tad lower than they were about a month ago. But ya never know, a lot of cool stuff can happen in 11 episodes.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:I'm not too crazy about Zero Two(I don't like her attitude)
I know, right. Lucy/Nyu was much better, at least as far as horned abominations with pink hair go.

But we've now got the same "first girl is the forgotten childhood friend (and also rescued from the authorities)", so all that's left is whether we see ZeroToHero up to the point where death does them part.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:26 pm

I'm still a week behind. So I've only watched the first two minutes of 13.
I'm intrigued. I think that, and some charming moments and well directed and animated action is what keeps me coming back.
I think it's too late for the show to be truly great, but I hope they go interesting places.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote: I still enjoy the show, though. I love me some well executed trash. <3

my expectations for it going forward are a tad lower

I think it's too late for the show to be truly great

So this is how one feels when you like a show far more than nearly everyone else, weird.

At this point I'm fully convinced Darling in the franxx is going to become a show that stays with me for some time. The 3 episodes that came out while I was gone were all good and the show only seems to be ramping up even more. I don't even know what to say about the episodes themselves other than really liking them. It's a bit like when I watched Yamato 2199: there's nothing particularly unique or special about it, but the entire package is just so solid and so seemingly made to cater to me that I just love it. Franxx is kind of like that.
It just needs one of those rare excellent endings that evade most anime...

Return to “Studio Trigger”