Rei or Asuka?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Re: Rei or Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:13 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I don't think Rei's role is that of a normal girl so far. On the surface yes, but Anno is still teasing the godess aspect of her.
Whatever happens, it'll be on a more symbolic level probably.
I just don't see a relationship there.

Well, yea, I doubt it's Rei, since it seems they're going with the NGE dynamic. I was just saying there's a relationship "there" in the movie, not with Rei specifically. G's papa makes some points though.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 am

What exactly does Shinji have to self-accept though? Might need to rewatch but i don't recall NTE Shinji having the same inner demons NGE Shinji did

He is still piloting just to feel needed, he has clearly still a hard time truly connecting with people, and 3.0 points out how he has a huge problem with change (you'd rather live in a merciless void of a world).
He'll also have to get over the fact that he is partly responsible for the end of the world.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:29 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:2.0 intentionally played into, among other things, fan interests in shipping - will it be Rei or Asuka who wins Shinji's heart? OMG it's Rei! Shinji is being all cool & heroic to save her! - as a form of misdirection for the switch in 3.0 & most likely Final.

Definitely. The happiness levels in NTW grow rapidly throughout 2.0, take a heavy decline as soon as Asuka gets into 03, take a nosedive when Rei is eaten*, and from 3.0 onwards, there is no happiness. The confusion anyone feels watching 3.0 for at least the first time is the perfect way to put the audience in Shinji’s shoes.

I would say that 3.0 makes us relate to Shinji even more than NGE ever did.

*Was the focus on Rei learning to make food only there to foreshadow that she ends up as Zeruel’s dinner? Or am I just looking way too deep into this?
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:26 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:He is still piloting just to feel needed, he has clearly still a hard time truly connecting with people, and 3.0 points out how he has a huge problem with change (you'd rather live in a merciless void of a world).
He'll also have to get over the fact that he is partly responsible for the end of the world.

The reason he gave for piloting was to gain his fathers praise, which for a teen with an absent father that seems fairly normal. As far as connecting to people is concerned, 2.0 shows he can get closer to others and even open up to them so while not perfect, it's not damning like it was in the original. Lastly wouldn't anyone react negatively with the massive changes Shinji went through at the end of 2.0 and 3.0?
For example we're not privy to what Misato or Asuka or anyone went through after N3i or 3i to judge their handling of change when compared to Shinji. Yet, at least when it comes to Misato, those events did change her and not necessarily in a positive way. He's thrown into a new world in 1.0 and slowly but surely adapts thought it and into 2.0 until shit hits the fan at the end of 2.0 and into 3.0. So it's not that he can't handle change but rather rapid world shattering change, which to me seems like a fairly normal reaction.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:56 am

The reason he gave for piloting was to gain his fathers praise

Several scenes originally from episodes 3 and 4 that imply he does it to feel needed are in 1.0 as well (like when Misato scolds him after coming back).

2.0 shows he can get closer to others and even open up to them so while not perfect, it's not damning like it was in the original

This is a matter of perspective I guess, I don't see a huge change in this regard.
In NGE he got pretty far in his relationships too.

So it's not that he can't handle change but rather rapid world shattering change, which to me seems like a fairly normal reaction.

The film is working on a metaphorical level. Most people won't go through 14 years of change at once.
But sudden change does happen, and people often have a hard time accepting things changed/ended.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Several scenes originally from episodes 3 and 4 that imply he does it to feel needed are in 1.0 as well (like when Misato scolds him after coming back).

To be honest i've only seen 1.0 a couple of times, so i'll take your word for it and stand corrected.

This is a matter of perspective I guess, I don't see a huge change in this regard.
In NGE he got pretty far in his relationships too.

His relationships in NGE were tainted by Shinji projecting his self-hatred onto others, in that respect he did need to accept himself before he could let others in. It's that aspect that as of now doesn't seem to be part of his NTE self.

The film is working on a metaphorical level. Most people won't go through 14 years of change at once.
But sudden change does happen, and people often have a hard time accepting things changed/ended

My point is that that sort of rapid change would unnerve anyone, so i don't see how it's a problem specific to Shinji. It's like when he tells Kaworu in 3.0 how he likes seeing the sky and Kaworu assumes it's because it doesn't change, yet even an amateur interest in astronomy would be enough to know that space does change, just slower relative to human perspective.

Keiji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Keiji » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:44 pm

I would like to see Shinji X Asuka.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm

It would be nice if Shinji was just okay with being with himself.

That said, at least Asuka isn't a clone of his mom.

Wait, Shinji is now technically old enough to date Misato, right? Misato.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:46 am

Honestly, and at the risk of being ridiculed around these here parts, I still feel that there needs to be some sort of followup and closure regarding his relationship with Rei, as that one has been one of the main cores of the Rebuild storyline, as opposed to his relationship with Asuka in the original series. Heck, Rei has been a huge driving force when it comes to Shinji's actions these past three films, and he simply lacks the chemistry and build up he had with Asuka in the OG series, so I really don't think he'll end up with the latter, lest a huge chunk of the movie try to condense an entire show's worth of relationship building into just one film that already has a lot on its plate.

Most likely though, he'll end up with no one.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 am

What if Shinji simply learned to love himself?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:59 am

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Well, my guess is that Asuka is going to show her feelings. At the end of 3.33, Rei is soulless husk. Rei in eva comming back is huge stretch and if she comes back it might be as quantum Rei since we see her at the begining of 1.11. The "Untill you come to me" strongly suggests that Rei Q might join the quantum Rei at some point.

That being said, I think Asuka had some strong feelings towards Shinji in 2.22. The evidence is her rushing out of the elevator. It all hangs on the time skip period and how much Asuka learned of what happened when she was out. I think She might have been conflicted at some point because Shinji didnt save her but he did save Rei and when or if she learned that Rei is a clone of Shinjis mother, she relised why Shinji tried to save her. I dont really think she will blame Shinji for what happened to her. She might blame herself more. She is just mad and had to take it out on Shinji in the 3.33. After all she was part of the rescue mission to save Shinji and she even calls for him to help her. which he does. It might mean he does like her too. Asuka clearly tries to walk away but cant bring herself to do it and not help Shinji at then end of 3.33.

My theory is that they will get together, Asuka finally sorts out her feelings and she will sacrifice herself to save Shinji. When that happens Shinji flips and causes final impact. This might be the point where Rei Q comes in and we might end up on the beach again. This time thou, on the beach that isnt by the red sea but near restored blue ocean and ruins like in "Untill you come to me" Shinji glimpses quantum Rei and finds Asuka is there with him like in EoE. He doesnt strangle her but helps her stand and they walk towards the city. The end.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:00 am

Yeah, I still don't know. Again, the next film has a lot of ground to cover, and Asuka's relationship with Shinji just hasn't been focused on as much over these past films, and especially not when compared to how it was built up in the original. Why waste screen time on trying to establish a romantic connection that hasn't been properly developed? While she does still care for him, I don't exactly think it's in a romantic light, but rather that she still see's him as a close friend from her past, maybe even as a brother figure.

For that matter, if Asuka still has romantic feelings for him, that is one heck of a depressing character trait. After 14 years of fighting and the like, she's still holding on to a crush that she was more than willing to give up on when she saw that someone else had a stronger connection to Shinji? Like, that seriously doesn't strike anyone else the wrong way?
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:05 am

I dunno. It’s weird, but I don’t think that these Eva movies are playing the whole “will they, won’t they?” card with Asuka. Like, try barely touch on it in Eva Ha, and Eva Q does other things entirely. If anything, Shinji might come to a closer understanding of Rei II in Shin Eva, but that’s hardly gonna look like a typical ending to a romance visual novel. He won’t “get the girl,” in that sense. He’ll only “understand the girl better.”

But that assumes a lot of character growth on Shinji’s part. Again, Shinji needs to accept himself first before he’s able to be with anyone else. (This is one of the reasons why it didn’t work out with Kaworu in Eva Q, btw.) None of these women are capable of fixing Shinji. No else one is. That’s something that Shinji has to do himself.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:31 am

I don't know, I think Shinji needs some guidance. In EoTV and EoE that happened, though who knows how it's gonna go here.

In any case, I don't know if outside help would coincide with a romantic subplot. We'll see. There was definitely some of that in 2.0, and Q clearly shows Asuka is still struggling over feelings she had for Shinji (she doubles him in age and it's been 14 years, but especially starting with Q I don't think these things should be taken too literally...it's also less weird that way).

I feel like, depending on what he wants to do, Anno could easily pick up these threads or leave them for what they were in those films.
It'll be interesting!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”