Rei or Asuka?

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Asuka'sBigBrother
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Rei or Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:13 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I don't think Rei's role is that of a normal girl so far. On the surface yes, but Anno is still teasing the godess aspect of her.
Whatever happens, it'll be on a more symbolic level probably.
I just don't see a relationship there.

Well, yea, I doubt it's Rei, since it seems they're going with the NGE dynamic. I was just saying there's a relationship "there" in the movie, not with Rei specifically. G's papa makes some points though.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 am

What exactly does Shinji have to self-accept though? Might need to rewatch but i don't recall NTE Shinji having the same inner demons NGE Shinji did

He is still piloting just to feel needed, he has clearly still a hard time truly connecting with people, and 3.0 points out how he has a huge problem with change (you'd rather live in a merciless void of a world).
He'll also have to get over the fact that he is partly responsible for the end of the world.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:29 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:2.0 intentionally played into, among other things, fan interests in shipping - will it be Rei or Asuka who wins Shinji's heart? OMG it's Rei! Shinji is being all cool & heroic to save her! - as a form of misdirection for the switch in 3.0 & most likely Final.

Definitely. The happiness levels in NTW grow rapidly throughout 2.0, take a heavy decline as soon as Asuka gets into 03, take a nosedive when Rei is eaten*, and from 3.0 onwards, there is no happiness. The confusion anyone feels watching 3.0 for at least the first time is the perfect way to put the audience in Shinji’s shoes.

I would say that 3.0 makes us relate to Shinji even more than NGE ever did.

*Was the focus on Rei learning to make food only there to foreshadow that she ends up as Zeruel’s dinner? Or am I just looking way too deep into this?
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

My fanfics:
Evangelion 2.9: You Will (Not) Survive
Godzilla VS Evangelion: Who Will Know?

Settie
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:26 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:He is still piloting just to feel needed, he has clearly still a hard time truly connecting with people, and 3.0 points out how he has a huge problem with change (you'd rather live in a merciless void of a world).
He'll also have to get over the fact that he is partly responsible for the end of the world.

The reason he gave for piloting was to gain his fathers praise, which for a teen with an absent father that seems fairly normal. As far as connecting to people is concerned, 2.0 shows he can get closer to others and even open up to them so while not perfect, it's not damning like it was in the original. Lastly wouldn't anyone react negatively with the massive changes Shinji went through at the end of 2.0 and 3.0?
For example we're not privy to what Misato or Asuka or anyone went through after N3i or 3i to judge their handling of change when compared to Shinji. Yet, at least when it comes to Misato, those events did change her and not necessarily in a positive way. He's thrown into a new world in 1.0 and slowly but surely adapts thought it and into 2.0 until shit hits the fan at the end of 2.0 and into 3.0. So it's not that he can't handle change but rather rapid world shattering change, which to me seems like a fairly normal reaction.

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:56 am

The reason he gave for piloting was to gain his fathers praise

Several scenes originally from episodes 3 and 4 that imply he does it to feel needed are in 1.0 as well (like when Misato scolds him after coming back).

2.0 shows he can get closer to others and even open up to them so while not perfect, it's not damning like it was in the original

This is a matter of perspective I guess, I don't see a huge change in this regard.
In NGE he got pretty far in his relationships too.

So it's not that he can't handle change but rather rapid world shattering change, which to me seems like a fairly normal reaction.

The film is working on a metaphorical level. Most people won't go through 14 years of change at once.
But sudden change does happen, and people often have a hard time accepting things changed/ended.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Settie
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Several scenes originally from episodes 3 and 4 that imply he does it to feel needed are in 1.0 as well (like when Misato scolds him after coming back).

To be honest i've only seen 1.0 a couple of times, so i'll take your word for it and stand corrected.

This is a matter of perspective I guess, I don't see a huge change in this regard.
In NGE he got pretty far in his relationships too.

His relationships in NGE were tainted by Shinji projecting his self-hatred onto others, in that respect he did need to accept himself before he could let others in. It's that aspect that as of now doesn't seem to be part of his NTE self.

The film is working on a metaphorical level. Most people won't go through 14 years of change at once.
But sudden change does happen, and people often have a hard time accepting things changed/ended

My point is that that sort of rapid change would unnerve anyone, so i don't see how it's a problem specific to Shinji. It's like when he tells Kaworu in 3.0 how he likes seeing the sky and Kaworu assumes it's because it doesn't change, yet even an amateur interest in astronomy would be enough to know that space does change, just slower relative to human perspective.

Return to “Evangelion Final [SPOILERS]”