What parts of NGE and it's movies were animated by Anno himself?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Eternal Heather
Embryo

What parts of NGE and it's movies were animated by Anno himself?

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Heather » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 am

Since the original series suffers from a cluster of different animation and art styles, I was wondering what Anno intended for NGE to look like in the first place.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What parts of NGE and it's movies were animated by Anno himself?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 am

You're asking two different questions here, in a way.

If you want to know what the show's visual elements were "supposed to" look like, you consult the model sheets, since that's their entire reason for existing. Many concepts are drawn up, but what's ultimately decided upon (by, say, the supervising director -- Anno) and distributed to everyone involved in visual production comprise the finalized model sheets. Collections of these have been made available to the public since even before EoE came out.

From what I'm aware, most of the animation that Anno does is either effects work (so: smoke, debris, explosions, the like) or revisions to work done by others (stuff like tweaking facial expressions, correcting on-model-ness, boosting the gore factor, etc.).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: What parts of NGE and it's movies were animated by Anno himself?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:52 pm

IIRC, he animated part of the scene with Shinji and Misato confronting each other on the Wunder with Eva Mark.9 in the background.

I don't have a source right now..
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”