Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:59 am

You said that these movies DC was making would not be recovered from. That's what YOU said. And El Squibbonator just demonstrated those movies were successful. I gave you examples of movies that would have destroyed an IP, and those are now some of the most marketable and successful film IPs on the planet.

You are not making a realistic assessment of this situation.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Forget it, Gob. Let him think what he wants. We're fighting a losing battle here.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Marvel movies but even to me they seem like they are in decline like there just trying to throw out the last sets of films possible as they know the end is over the horizon.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:21 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:36 pm

All right, you've made your point. Seriously, this is derailing the thread and making it nigh-impossible to read.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:24 pm

Infinity War moved to April 27th.

I'm pretty hyped for this movie.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Marvel also just dated their next theatrical release calendar through to 2022.
So for nerds in the know the future is -

Avengers: Infinity War - April 27, 2018
Ant-Man & the Wasp - July 6, 2018
Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019
Avengers 4 - May 3, 2019
Spider-Man Homecoming 2 - July 5, 2019
Untitled Marvel - May 1, 2020 (probably Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3)
Untitled Marvel - August 7, 2020
Untitled Marvel - November 6, 2020
Untitled Marvel - May 7, 2021
Untitled Marvel - July 30, 2021
Untitled Marvel - November 5, 2021
Untitled Marvel - February 18, 2022 ($2,022 this is Black Panther 2)
Untitled Marvel - May 6, 2022 . (Avengers 5? Or whatever their new Team-Up Mega Franchise is)
Untitled Marvel - July 29, 2022

So yeah. It's a Marvel/Disney world. We just live in it. Most of these will be just okay. One or two might even be great. All will be overrated in general.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:47 pm

It would be awesome if they let the Avengers rest and do the Defenders... wait shit they used that name for TV for a team with none of the actual Defenders on it and all the Defenders are on the movie Avengers roster anyway.

I wonder if any of that includes plans for the inevitable integration of the X-Men and Fantastic Four?

I really, really hope they make a bold move and throw in some multiversal shenanigans to bring in a middle aged FF and X-Men cast.

They've been inching up the comicbookness of each movie so far, hopefully by 2020 they're keeping it fresh with some really wacky shit and space adventures. I enjoyed Ragnarok but I was a little disappointed they sent Hulk into space to bring him right back to Earth with the whole Planet Hulk thing as a side story for Thor.

I'm also disappointed that Jeff Goldblum didn't wear a mecha suit to fight the Hulk, which I'm sure would bring about world peace.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Marvel’s been getting wackier as they go. Doctor Strange was kinda the start of that.
Problem I find is that no matter how wacky they get content wise (Guardians 2 & Thor: Ragnarok while so-so movies sure were out there in some ways) just because of what the films are they’ll never really go all the way. They’ll get wacky but never uncomfortable or inspiring & ultimately they’re craziest of ideas will still be render mute by the polished CG aesthetic they’ve got going on now.
Even their best movie - yes, Black Panther is the best Marvel movie - had to rein in its sense of identity at the end for a tired third act CG action set piece. Thankfully the emotional stakes were there even though the final action set piece kinda blew.

I don’t know comics but even I would like to see a Ms Marvel movie with a spunky Muslim lead heroine.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I don’t know comics but even I would like to see a Ms Marvel movie with a spunky Muslim lead heroine.

That will be the film that they have lined up for the 11/6/2020 release date.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:11 pm

That would be nice.

Honestly, I’m just terrified which of these dates is for BUCKY BARNES: HE’S AN AWFUL CHARACTER WITH NO REDEEMABLE TRAITS AND IS INCREDIBLY BORING BUT HE GETS A MOVIE (The Movie).

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:06 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:That will be the film that they have lined up for the 11/6/2020 release date.

Took me a while to get that. In all seriousness, Marvel could make a big-budget remake of that awful Howard the Duck movie, and still expect a return on their investment.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:19 am

I’m curious about Wiig potentially landing a villain role. I don’t remember her in the Martian (as I don’t remember the Martian) and I haven’t seen Mother!
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:05 am

I found Black Panther to be the most rewarding Marvel movie, but for reasons that have almost nothing to do with the narrative itself.

See, back in the year 2000, The Gladiator came out, starring Russel Crowe and directed by Ridley Scott. It was a pretty great movie for the most part. We got to see Crowe fight tigers and gladiators in a sword-and-sandal movie. Also, there was a nice story about Crowe's character wanting to return to his family. And with Scott directing, every shot was going to be a beautiful tapestry of visual delight.

Anyway, when I watched the behind-the-scenes features of the movie, I found out that there was originally going to be a rhino fight in the movie. Russel Crowe vs a rhinoceros! HOW COOL IS THAT?! Ridley wanted to accomplish the scene with a "trained rhino," which are things that don't exist in reality. They could have done it with CGI, but that would have cost over $1 Million just for the scene alone, and Ridley's movies being "Designer Brand" movies of sorts ()that's what my sister calls them, anyway) nothing less than the best was going to do. So, they just scrapped the scene entirely for reasons of cost.

Fast-forward to the year 2006 and the movie 300. The Persians are fighting the Spartans in this movie for reasons that really just boil down to someone wanting to see 2 straight hours of slow-motion violence. I personally found it the actively reusing the pacing and the adrenaline rush I seek while watching action movies.

But, wait! What is that? Far in the distance? It's cast a shadow! Symbol of our freedom! Will bring us salvation! THIS MOVIE HAS RHINOS IN IT! AND THE PERSIANS ARE GOING TO FIGHT THE SPARTANS WITH THEM!!! 8 years waiting, and I finally get to see a rhino fight! We see the camera behind one of the Spartans as the rhino charges at him --...oooooh, this is going to be so INTENSE!-- the camera tracks down behind the Spartan's back......!!!!!!!! And then the camera clears the other side of the Spartan and we just see the rhino already dead with an arrow stuck in its eye.

I. Felt. So. Cheated. I've been wanting to see this scene since The Gladiator, and Snyder ruins it in an adrenaline-haulting slow-motion shot that objectively hides all of the action and seriously looks disgusting.

Fast-forward to the year 2014, with the Amazing Spider-Man 2. The Rhino is in this movie. There were trailers that promised him fighting Spider-Man. Sure, The Rhino looks mechanical, and this movie is about as tedious to sit through as it would to be covered by ticks while being asked to perform sexual pleasures on Donald Trump. But hey, I might finally get to see my rhino fight after 14 goddamn years. Let's give this a shot.

It's a long and mind-numbingly boring 2 hours and 20 minutes into the movie. The Rhino finally shows up, and, after a pitifully long amount of time of the main character mostly just moping around harder than even Henry Cavil in BvS, Spider-Man shows up too. The two charge at each other-... but I already feel it in my gut. There is no rhino fight in this movie either. The last shot in the trailer was also the last shot in the movie. Hard cut to black. Roll end credits. Toss all of the tables in the house (because I didn't go to theaters for this one).
Fuck. This. Movie.

Skip past 2016's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, because Bebop and Rocksteady are only going to provide typical punching scenes and utilize none of the uniqueness of an actual rhino fight. Also, screw Micheal Bay and everything he touches. Hard. With shares of a broken wine bottle.

Then finally, in the year 2018, I'm in a darkened theater watching Black Panther, and it's getting to the end of an already decent Marvel movie. AND THE MOVIE BUSTS OUT THEIR FLIPPIN' RHINOS!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhinos fill the screen. Literal, actual, multiple TONS of (CGI) rhinos fill the screen, flooding every pixel of the projector, hitting every retina of my eyeball, every sound coming at me in surround sound and shaking me to the core of my very being. And they were FIGHTING. They were attacking our heroes and escalating an already crazy situation to OVER 11. It was intense. It was long sought after. It was something that I needed in order to spiritually move on, and it came upon me in the glory of a superhero version of The Lion King. After 18 long years, I can finally see the rhino fight that was teased at me way back in the special features of The Gladiator movie.

I feel satisfied like I haven't felt by a schlocky superhero movie, in ways that schlocky superhero movies shouldn't satisfy me. My long and arduous journey in the search of the rhino fight scene has finally ended, and I can, at long last, rest contentedly.

Also, Micheal B. Jordan was good as Vegeta, and it was a blast to see Andy Serkis' actual face having the most fun on the set of literally any movie ever.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 am

"Look!:"

SPOILER: Show

"I'm a real boy!"
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 pm

http://collider.com/the-flash-movie-dir ... goldstein/

Flash movie has new directors. Weirdly, it seems like they're best known for writing the Horrible Bosses movies. Looks like they also wrote Spider-Man: Homecoming and Game Night, the latter of which I have no seen. The Flash is definitely a lighter character in his origins and personality and Ezra made great comic relief in JL. The Cyborg and Flash scenes were some of my favorite parts of the movie. Homecoming wasn't my favorite comic book movie or even my favorite Spider-Man movie, but I'm eager to see what they do with this.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 pm

This is what DC needs right now.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:24 am

They need to dump the Flashpoint idea, make a movie nothing like the ensemble films, and put Flash up against Grodd. Also maybe King Shark. Does he have any other animal themed villains that could form a super team?
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:43 am

[Deleted]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:47 am

I think, actually, that the smartest thing that WB could do with the DC Universe is give up on movies entirely and focus on developing big budget, premium channel prestige style television shows for their characters with self contained story arcs and big name acting, directing, and writing talent. There's a lot more interest and goodwill on the TV side with these characters (which have already introduced crossovers and multiversal vibrations and such shenaningans). They could straight up do a Crisis and put it all in the same continuity and the fans would enjoy it. If they recast Supes and Bats they could probably keep Gadot for Wonder Woman. They'd really only need to reboot Superman and Batman.

I could write up a story but I'm not in the mood, I'll tl:dr it: Movie Flash and TV Flash have to team up to fix the universe, some shit happens, the parts of Batman and Superman and Lois Lane will now be played by these less expensive actors, and oh hai Supergirl. Boom.

Disney-Marvel has pretty much dropped the ball on TV and DC could pick it up. Marvel is like football and DC is like baseball. No matter how hard baseball tries it ain't going to be football but there's still a place for baseball in this world.

That's unlikely, so the best plan for the brand going forward recognizes reality: People are willing to give solo DC movies a shot. The big ensemble cast prestige movies have met with critical and financial failure. People aren't interested in movies written like BvS and JL. Nobody wants to watch two hour long TV episodes that are released years apart. If they really want to differentiate themselves from Marvel they need to abandon the "CU" part of the equation and just make good solo movies that showcase the characters. Maybe have an occasional crossover but no big ensemble pieces. After JL ended I had absolutely zero interest in a lackluster uninteresting Lex Luthor meeting with grumpy deadpool to set up another nearly three hour long trailer that's all edging with no finish.

Trying to make DC the dark and edgy Mature answer to Marvel is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The only thing that the DCCU has been about so far is itself. Marvel has touched on domestic spying, the war on terror, the military-industrial complex, and other contemporary issues because Marvel established themselves in the sixties with social relevant metaphors for civil rights while the DC characters were languishing creatively. The DC characters are more mythic and it's a mistake to try to drag them down into a realistic setting. As I've already explained at length, the only character that fits a realistic setting is Batman and putting him in one fundamentally changes the character and makes him much more gray than he really should be.

I fundamentally disagree that they need a clean slate. They just need to make standalone movies. Audiences respond to good movies. They really don't care about continuity, at all. Comic book style continuity is geek masturbation and geeks get pissy over it because they want to use it to gatekeep and establish a sense of ownership over a corporate product and it is, frankly, ridiculous. Marvel knows how to work continuity as a brand management and marketing tool. The DCCU puts it above everything else which just illustrates my point. People don't give a shit. Nobody really gives a shit about all the damage in Man of Steel, either. Nobody but nerds cares and two ponderous overlong movies trying to justify it only to turn around and go all cartoony to try to overwrite it just pissed the audiences off.

I haven't regularly read cape books in years, but I quit reading them for a reason. When I put down superhero comics they had gone to shit. Everything was swinging to dark and edgy again (which is to say, overwrought and shitty) and wild ideas from talented and enthusiastic creators were being ignored and top talent screwed over by meddling executives, and at the time where wasn't anything interesting or creative going on. The inmates were running the asylum and all the editorial staff and writers were second and third generation comic book fans who are invested in continuity and top-down enforcement of their particular views of the characters with an emphasis on their own person politics, prejudices, and sense of how the characters should be because of the way they were when the creators were kids. They were completely removed from the first and second generation creators, who were more concerned with art and storytelling than continuity until the early 90's distributor collapse forced comics into a niche market and compelled the big two to pander to the kind of completely worthless person that writes letters to comic books demanding an explanation for how Spider-Man was in Alaska with Wolverine when he was in Queens going curtain shopping with Mary Jane or some shit. The DCCU embraced all the shit that drowned the fun out of comic books.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”