Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 4228
Joined: Jan 12, 2013
Location: Behind the Door of Kukundu
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:41 am

Tumblr is sort of like a game of telephone, and things start getting reblogged and spread faster than they can be sourced.

...speaking of Tumblr, is there any way to actually scroll through all of your Tumblr followers? I haven't actually looked at that in a long time, and I've decided to scrub out a bunch of the adult accounts that latch on to everyone.

I'm seeing 52 followers, but only eight or nine are showing up. I have a hunch some of those 52 have to be junk accounts.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

jcmoorehead
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 676
Joined: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Edinburgh
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:53 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Tumblr is sort of like a game of telephone, and things start getting reblogged and spread faster than they can be sourced.

...speaking of Tumblr, is there any way to actually scroll through all of your Tumblr followers? I haven't actually looked at that in a long time, and I've decided to scrub out a bunch of the adult accounts that latch on to everyone.

I'm seeing 52 followers, but only eight or nine are showing up. I have a hunch some of those 52 have to be junk accounts.


Used to be you'd just click on followers and be able to scroll without issue, but things change so much there you've probably got to perform some sort of magic spell. It's been a while since I properly used Tumblr so I'm not sure anymore really :/

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1350
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

Re:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 am

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:Even though I love Sailor Moon it's fandom is one of the worst I've ever seen. You've got people arguing over dub vs sub and people picking apart the anime frame by frame and subtitle by subtitle. And then you have certain older fans who have this snotty stuckup we've been fans longer so we're better than you attitude. It doesn't help that an admin on a Sailor Moon forum I was a part of cyberbullies people for not posting links to fanart. Plus, in the past she's abused her admin powers on numerous occasions. Recently she made one of my friends leave the forum because this admin and her friend were cyberbullying my friend over the writing style he used in his fanfiction. I don't get why she and her pet troll feel the need to act like grammar nazis. :/ I also hate how all the big Sailor Moon fansites have their own little twitter cliques and they refuse to associate with anyone outside their cliques.

I dipped my toes into a few other fandoms during my time away from EGF, and what you described there really mirrors my year-long foray into the Dragon Ball fandom. I'd avoided it for years because I heard it was a toxic cesspool but decided to take a look because I was really interested in the new content and wanted to talk to someone about it.

Now, it isn't all bad. The video game discussion is chill with lots of helpful people as are the merchandise discussions. But the rest? Holy shit, it is everything I've ever hated about fandoms. Hyper-elitist, which I find absolutely mind-boggling for a series that has prided itself on flying by the seat of its pants and outrageous nonsense for years. Sub vs dub wars, people complaining about art on in-between frames, knee jerk reactions, hot takes from people who watch the raw broadcast from Japan but don't speak a word of Japanese. People tearing each other apart for preferring the anime vs the manga. This is an odd case where the two are running concurrently and adapting the same outline as the source material, but people get nasty and violent arguing over "canon." And it's not enough to just like or dislike something and accept that others don't. If you don't hold the Approved Fandom Opinion, you are wrong and you will be constantly reminded of such and at great length.

There's also some real creepers. In the most recent arc some new female fighters were introduced and proved controversial with a vocal part of the western fandom and for months there was an influx of posts calling them "whores" and "sluts" and long, detailed posts about them being brutally tortured and murdered by the villains. Never happened to any of the male characters no matter how "annoying" they were. It got bad enough that the mods of the fandom subreddit started automatically deleting those posts and issuing warnings and bans.

Last week, I hit the eject button on that fandom after a huge blow-up over some stupid and petty thing, and quite frankly I feel a lot better. You don't always realize how much that kind of negativity can weigh on you when you've been exposed to it for so long.

I also poke my head into the Star Wars fandom from time to time, and it's really no different. The specifics of the shit-flinging differ but the attitudes and the nastiness don't.

It's never a bad idea to take a step back and think about the fact that all this nastiness is over a piece of entertainment. :|
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 22761
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:48 pm

I think unfortunately, fandoms themselves and obsessive/unpleasant aspects sometimes go hand-in-hand. While the majority of folks in my own fandoms of choice (Sailormoon, Eva (sadly), MGS, etc, etc) are cool, there's always the handful of folks that "ruin" it (so to speak) for the rest.

Like you said, BlueBasilisk, sometimes you unfortunately have to hit the eject button and keep to yourself :sweatdrop:

But maybe things seem worse with this social media age we're living in? I'm still not sure.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1790
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Re:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:17 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:If you don't hold the Approved Fandom Opinion, you are wrong and you will be constantly reminded of such and at great length.

I think that's true of most fandoms to some extent or another. Challenging the status quo is generally frowned upon, unless you really have a good argument otherwise.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1350
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

Re: Re:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:54 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:I think that's true of most fandoms to some extent or another. Challenging the status quo is generally frowned upon, unless you really have a good argument otherwise.

That leads into a different issue, which is whether the 'status quo' actually is representative of the overall fandom opinion or it's a loud and bitter minority creating an echo chamber by attacking and shouting down anyone who disagrees with them. Because I see a lot of the latter with said people passing their opinions off as being the 'objectively correct' ones. The negative people in a fandom tend to be a lot more vocal than people who enjoy it, I find.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 72
Posts: 10035
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Re:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:28 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:The negative people in a fandom tend to be a lot more vocal than people who enjoy it, I find.

Not always; but I know what you mean... It can make one wonder why they even want to be part of the fandom at all, sometimes.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "Suki da, Yano" - Bokura ga ita ep.21 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 970
Joined: Dec 27, 2016
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: Re:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseki » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:33 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:That leads into a different issue, which is whether the 'status quo' actually is representative of the overall fandom opinion or it's a loud and bitter minority creating an echo chamber by attacking and shouting down anyone who disagrees with them. Because I see a lot of the latter with said people passing their opinions off as being the 'objectively correct' ones. The negative people in a fandom tend to be a lot more vocal than people who enjoy it, I find.


The status quo is representative of the community, but not of the overall fandom. One thing I've noticed in my short time in Evageeks, the Eva subreddit and an italian community is that the general consensus varied a lot between the 3 communities. The same applies to other communities I'm in, even those that have nothing to do with anime.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017 - 20/07/2018

Princess Asuka
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1123
Joined: Oct 10, 2013
Location: With Sousuke Sagara.
Gender: Female

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Princess Asuka » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 pm

So, the bitch admin at the Sailor Moon forum I mentioned just pissed off a friend of mine because she edited his fanfic to remove the word asshole. Last I checked editing other people's fanfics is a big no no, right?
"Winds in the east, Mist coming in, Like something is brewing, About to begin. Can't put my finger on, What lies in store, But, I feel what's to happen, All happened before..." From Mary Poppins
"For Love and Justice, I'm the pretty sailor suited soldier, Sailor Moon! In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!" Sailor Moon
"Anta Baka?!" Asuka Langley Soryu
"We fall in love, our hearts may break, we lose sleep longing for someone, but that's how we know we're alive." Usagi Tsukino from the Sailor Moon S movie.
"I'm not a nerd, I'm a specialist!!" Sousuke Sagara from Full Metal Panic.
"Trying to make sense of what a cat does is like trying to make sense of what Chuckman posts." - Nuke-kun


http://www.silvermillenniumfalcon.com

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 72
Posts: 10035
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:58 am

If there is a forum rule against it, then merely having it it edited out may be getting off lightly, depending on the terms of the rule. But in most forums, for a mild infringement it would be thought better practice for the mod/admin to request the poster to change it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "Suki da, Yano" - Bokura ga ita ep.21 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1209
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Re:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote: Because I see a lot of the latter with said people passing their opinions off as being the 'objectively correct' ones. The negative people in a fandom tend to be a lot more vocal than people who enjoy it, I find.


I agree with this and it can go to a darker level like attacking people and saying you can't Cosplay as Korra because your white or you can't be Rose from Steven Universe because you have the wrong body type and the character wasn't created for you. Then you get the really dark side which is attacking an artist to the point that they try to commit suicide as that happened in Steven Universe.

The other side of that coin is a Brony stalking a little kid at a conversations and others selling sexual art which young kids shouldn't see period. These actions really ruin the fandom for everyone else and worse in the minds of some they solidify the idea that people interested in sci-fi, fantasy and fandom groups are dangerous and unsafe as media always jumps over things like this and doesn't show the positives only the negatives.

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/steven-universe-fanartist-bullied-controversy/
https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/babs-con-11-year-old-stalked-harassed-by-adult-brony/
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 418
Joined: Jun 20, 2017
Location: NSW, Australia
Gender: Male

Re: Re:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:37 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I agree with this and it can go to a darker level like attacking people and saying you can't Cosplay as Korra because your white or you can't be Rose from Steven Universe because you have the wrong body type and the character wasn't created for you. Then you get the really dark side which is attacking an artist to the point that they try to commit suicide as that happened in Steven Universe.

The other side of that coin is a Brony stalking a little kid at a conversations and others selling sexual art which young kids shouldn't see period. These actions really ruin the fandom for everyone else and worse in the minds of some they solidify the idea that people interested in sci-fi, fantasy and fandom groups are dangerous and unsafe as media always jumps over things like this and doesn't show the positives only the negatives.

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/steven-universe-fanartist-bullied-controversy/
https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/babs-con-11-year-old-stalked-harassed-by-adult-brony/


Some fucking people... it’s at times like this that I feel we’ve failed as a species.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.


My fanfics:
Evangelion 2.9: You Will (Not) Survive
Godzilla VS Evangelion: Who Will Know?

IronEvangelion
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1528
Joined: Oct 14, 2014
Location: The Hype Train bound for Midgar!

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 pm

I've noticed this myself. After leaving this site, I joined a few other forums for other franchises I'm interested in. First was the official World of Tanks forum, but that turned out to be a hotbed of elitism, negativity, hatred for players who aren't great at the game/play certain tank classes such as artillery/like anime/don't fit in or agree with certain social cliques. Oh gods, the anime hate there is unbelievable. According to certain very vocal members, all anime viewers are dangerous sexual predators who need to be kept away from schools, put on a federal watch list, or thrown in prison. Most of that hate is directed at Girls und Panzer fans, of all people. When the Girls und Panzer Pz. IV H premium tank was first sold, a certain player went around reporting anyone he saw driving one for "child endangerment".

Some time later, I joined a Senran Kagura fan site. While the average forumers there are genuinely great people, the moderators and administrators are toxic and intolerant individuals who try to turn the site into an echo chamber for their own views and try to browbeat anyone with a divergent opinion into agreeing with them. I've had a couple of run-ins with them for not sharing their opinion on certain things. Once I criticized another game by the SK series creator as being sub-par compared to the SK games. The mod/admin for that subforum omnislashed my post and wrote paragraph after paragraph about why my opinion was "wrong". After going back and forth with him for a couple of posts, I just dropped this conversation because he had just done the same thing to another forumer and I knew where this was going.

Very recently I joined a new Star Wars fan site started by a prominent Star Wars youtuber whose videos I really like. That place is really great so far, no real complaints except for the very low number of members. Hopefully the site will become more popular in the future, but it feels kind of dead right now.
Final Fantasy VII is being remade, all's right with the world.
#1 Duck Team/Akebi Sasaki (Girls und Panzer) fan.
"There are two things I can't stand: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." -Nigel Powers (Austin Powers: Goldmember)
"Oh no, Haruka! My butt's already split! I think my whole team's butts are split!" -Minori (Senran Kagura: Estival Versus)

ran1
Donor
Donor
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 2662
Joined: Jan 20, 2010
Location: NYC, USA
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ran1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:00 pm

An anecdote:

Lord Byron received some wonderful notices from his publisher that one of his female devotees clawed out one of the eyes out of her husband after he tossed her copy of Childe Harold's Pilgrimage in the trash -- and the ensuing legal case in which Byron was supposed to testify in while in-exile. That's the logical endpoint of any fandom, and it's beautiful.

Tumblr is a natural extension of the eternal external impulse of fandom that's been expressed in other means like religion, tantric sex, and other less myopic pursuits. The most spectacular, wonderful difference now is that you have large crowds of enablers because the internet is both the new forum and basilica of mankind. Fandom wars are necessarily and healthy excises of pent-up emotions. Restrict them and you get a massive bubbling up of popular sentiment that results in shit like the Nika Revolt, or the user-revolt in miniature that happened on this very site in 2011 regarding Rebuild spoilers and heavy-handed moderation policies that resulted in the banning of yours truly, and the departure of many of this forum's more intriguing and enjoyable posters.

Tumblr is in many ways the new 4chan. It's the absolute frontier of what's acceptable on the internet, and a marvelous cesspool of complete degeneracy. I love it and the toxicity is the best part of the Faustian bargain you make when selling your soul to it.
Last edited by ran1 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Princess Asuka
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1123
Joined: Oct 10, 2013
Location: With Sousuke Sagara.
Gender: Female

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Princess Asuka » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:If there is a forum rule against it, then merely having it it edited out may be getting off lightly, depending on the terms of the rule. But in most forums, for a mild infringement it would be thought better practice for the mod/admin to request the poster to change it.

The thing is yes there is no swearing rule at this forum, but this bitch admin didn't even bother to ask my friend to edit out the curse words, she just went and edited it without even bothering to ask him. Eventually, he cussed her out in a PM war and he got a temporary ban for 30 days while this cyberbully still gets to keep her admin/founder status. It's not fair!! :irked:
"Winds in the east, Mist coming in, Like something is brewing, About to begin. Can't put my finger on, What lies in store, But, I feel what's to happen, All happened before..." From Mary Poppins
"For Love and Justice, I'm the pretty sailor suited soldier, Sailor Moon! In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!" Sailor Moon
"Anta Baka?!" Asuka Langley Soryu
"We fall in love, our hearts may break, we lose sleep longing for someone, but that's how we know we're alive." Usagi Tsukino from the Sailor Moon S movie.
"I'm not a nerd, I'm a specialist!!" Sousuke Sagara from Full Metal Panic.
"Trying to make sense of what a cat does is like trying to make sense of what Chuckman posts." - Nuke-kun


http://www.silvermillenniumfalcon.com

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1209
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:The thing is yes there is no swearing rule at this forum, but this bitch admin didn't even bother to ask my friend to edit out the curse words, she just went and edited it without even bothering to ask him. Eventually, he cussed her out in a PM war and he got a temporary ban for 30 days while this cyberbully still gets to keep her admin/founder status. It's not fair!! :irked:


Sadly if you fight back against gods mods this is what you will get, you can never win as they hold all the cards and you are basically in their kingdom its better to ignore them and move on to another forum or social platform and stay away from the drama.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Lt Light Ark
Adam
Posts: 80
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Lt Light Ark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Yaoi fans (as the KawoShin pairing) react strangely when one of the characters in the ship is shipped with a woman.

I know because I dwelled in the most toxic fandoms, Avatar (when a 3 hour video is made to try to debunk the canonical ship you know you're going too far), Nanoha (god...this fandom here was crazy) and the winner.

Naruto.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1209
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:13 pm

View Original PostLt Light Ark wrote:I know because I dwelled in the most toxic fandoms, Avatar (when a 3 hour video is made to try to debunk the canonical ship you know you're going too far), Nanoha (god...this fandom here was crazy) and the winner.

Naruto.


Was that a three hour youtube video by any chance? Because that place is also really going down hill as well I find myself commenting less and less because the toxicity of that place seems to rising fast as well, it used to really fun to be on there but now you can't comment with out some one getting nasty telling you your wrong or general rudeness.

Yaoi fans (as the KawoShin pairing) react strangely when one of the characters in the ship is shipped with a woman.


I've seen that but from a very different angle in that yaoi fanfiction writers would bash the female character or make the spilt up nasty as possible just to humiliate the character so her boyfriend could be with the other guy. You also get the reverse of this where the yuri pair bash of the heterosexual male or ex boyfriend also these heterosexual characters at worst can be written as abusive, homophobic or as rapists. Nether of these are cool they set a very bad vibe which the reader can pick on which is that heterosexual is your enemy and needs to be wiped out. Which I don't agree with as in this scenario I think the heterosexual characters acceptance of the Yaoi/Yuri couple gives a more powerful message.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Lt Light Ark
Adam
Posts: 80
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Lt Light Ark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Was that a three hour youtube video by any chance? Because that place is also really going down hill as well I find myself commenting less and less because the toxicity of that place seems to rising fast as well, it used to really fun to be on there but now you can't comment with out some one getting nasty telling you your wrong or general rudeness.


Yep, a three hour lenght video about how KataAang is wrong and the producers are wrong and how Zutara is okay and 'romantic' (because there's nothing more romantic than someone tying you on a tree and taunting you with your mother's memento)

In Nanoha Fandom the ship wars reached even the producers, seriously.

Nanofate vs Yuunoha, where a perfectly okay character is excluded because fan-pandering and ship wars.

I've seen that but from a very different angle in that yaoi fanfiction writers would bash the female character or make the spilt up nasty as possible just to humiliate the character so her boyfriend could be with the other guy. You also get the reverse of this where the Yuri pair bash of the heterosexual male or ex boyfriend also these heterosexual characters at worst can be written as abusive, homophobic or as rapists. Nether of these are cool they set a very bad vibe which the reader can pick on which is that heterosexual is your enemy and needs to be wiped out. Which I don't agree with as in this scenario I think the heterosexual characters acceptance of the Yaoi/Yuri couple gives a more powerful message.


Do you want to know the worst? It is all because a dick and a pussy in the middle make then insecure as it is not theirs.

:facepalm:

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1209
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Internet toxicity (Social media, fandom shipping, etc)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:29 am

View Original PostLt Light Ark wrote:Yep, a three hour lenght video about how KataAang is wrong and the producers are wrong and how Zutara is okay and 'romantic' (because there's nothing more romantic than someone tying you on a tree and taunting you with your mother's memento)

In Nanoha Fandom the ship wars reached even the producers, seriously.

Nanofate vs Yuunoha, where a perfectly okay character is excluded because fan-pandering and ship wars.


That really bothers me because I think the issue with fan pandering when its not genuine becomes really problematic and I have seen people bring up this issue with Star Trek Discovery yeah I love the show but I'll admit that but there were moments when I wondered is this lip service because you want ratings do you generally believe in the idea of diversity, same sex and equal gender dynamics or are you doing this because your rival is the The Walking Dead and you want the top show?

I say this as there was a show done decades ago called Babylon 5 which did all of this (Accept same sex as the writer J. Michael Straczynski couldn't do this it due to it being the early 90's so he had to do subtext hints instead) no one asked him to place women in the back grounds scenes or make them strong up front characters or put in people of colour he just did it.

Do you want to know the worst? It is all because a dick and a pussy in the middle make then insecure as it is not theirs.

:facepalm:


That is really bad but on a whole other level :cringe:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3


Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests