What do you think of an Evangelion/Akira crossover?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

synthmachine81
Embryo

What do you think of an Evangelion/Akira crossover?

•      
  •      

Postby synthmachine81 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Sooo, I had this crazy idea for an Eva/Akira crossover, which are the animes I've been most fond of these past few years and they have so many similarities. Sure, Eva is more psychological while Akira is more political and social, and it's kind of a nightmare trying to mix both universes without creating plot holes, but I'm trying to work that out in my head. I'm thinking about doing a webcomic but first I've got to sort out my art style, I haven't drawn properly for quite a while and I'm a bit stiff. I could write it but I'm not very confident about my writing skills, I think I work better with visuals mixed with dialogue. Not to mention it might take a while before I have some material to share, but anyway, thoughts? Also I need to read the Akira manga again, I read it on 2014 I think but forgot almost 70% of the plot hahaha
I've seen so much I'm going blind and I'm brain-dead virtually.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: What do you think of an Evangelion/Akira crossover?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 pm

View Original Postsynthmachine81 wrote:they have so many similarities

I'm not seeing it. What similarities are you thinking of?

synthmachine81
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby synthmachine81 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Well, I was talking plotwise, but here we go:

Evangelion: Second Impact caused World War III, which culminated in the destruction of Tokyo and therefore the construction of Tokyo-2 and later Tokyo-3. A brutal financial crisis strikes Japan and the rest of the world and most of the monetary resources go to the military and other related organizations, like NERV.
Akira: The Akira rampage destroyed Tokyo, caused World War III and later Neo-Tokyo was constructed. However, war debts cause a brutal financial crisis in Japan and most of the monetary resources go to the military and the rest goes to the corrupt part of the government.

Evangelion: The world fears a Third Impact, while SEELE cherishes it as a way of evolution of the human race.
Akira: In general consensus, a second coming of Akira is feared, mostly by the regular citizens who lived during the destruction of Tokyo period and the military, especially Colonel Shikishima. Some rebel movements actually cherish the second coming of Akira as a way to construct a new Tokyo over the rottenness that Neo Tokyo has become.

Evangelion: In EoE Misato tells Shinji that humans and Angels are the same, the same goes for Adam and Lilith. The Angels also possess lots of psionic and psychic powers and choose their own form.
Akira: In the movie, Kei tells Kaneda that the psionic powers unlocked by Tetsuo are the result of an evolutionary process, comparing it to an ameba acquiring the abilities of a human being, but also noting that it would only cause destruction as amebas only devour things while humans have abilities like building houses and etc. In the third act, Tetsuo presents the ability of morphing into a cyborg-like creature as the cables of his cybernetic arm start to merge with his own flesh, and later he becomes that weird giant fetus. The result of lack of full control of his abilities of course, but as Kiyoko comments vaguely in the end, she hopes the human race will one day evolve to a stage where they'll finally be able to manage the power and Masaru comments it has already begun.

Also character-wise, the most Evangelion-like characters from Akira are Tetsuo and Kei (manga version especially). Tetsuo has lots of issues like his inferiority complex, his extreme envy of Kaneda and his tough childhood being abandoned in an orphanage and growing up in the streets with his bike gang. I'd love seeing him interacting with Asuka for example. Kei would be a very interesting character to interact with Rei, as Kei's special ability revolves around being a medium for other people's powers, kinda like Rei being a tool for Gendo's control of the Third Impact, serving as the host for the Adam/Lillith fusion. I also would love some Shinji and Kaneda interactions as the two are so different from each other, it could be fun.

by synthmachine81 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Also I just realized Tetsuo is in a way like a mix of Shinji and Asuka gone really dark. He's weak and introverted like Shinji at the start and thinks lowly of himself when compared to Kaneda, but as soon as he acquires powers he becomes a megalomaniac and can't stand the idea of having someone more powerful than him, as he thinks this is the only thing that makes him special, which fuels his quest to seek Akira. This could be compared to Asuka's decisiveness in being the best Evangelion pilot, as she sees it to be the only way it makes her special and needed. The main difference is that Tetsuo goes on a murderous rampage to fulfill his quest and cares little for most people's lives while Shinji and Asuka fear rejection the most.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 am

Huh. Sounds interesting.

You should go for it.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Steve Freeling
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Steve Freeling » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:17 pm

How the characters would act in the middle of each others' universe... That alone would get me to read it.
Now you're king of the mountain, aren't ya, but it's all garbage!

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:04 pm

It would be interesting to see what Asuka would think about Tetsuo, they're both similar and...Tetsuo would point what you said earlier, that Asuka fears rejection when Tetsuo himself would state that 'he grew from such fears'.

I am not sure how you will mix things, I mean, Tetsuo is way more stronger than a EVA or even an angel, he blowed up a big crater into the moon, right?

synthmachine81
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby synthmachine81 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:05 pm

View Original PostLt Light Ark wrote:I am not sure how you will mix things, I mean, Tetsuo is way more stronger than a EVA or even an angel, he blowed up a big crater into the moon, right?

Nice point. I will try to explain it without giving away all the plot I thought of: Remember when Misato told Shinji that Lilins and Angels were basically the same thing during EoE? So, what I like to imagine is that Tetsuo, Akira, Lady Miyako and the Espers would be like Rei and Kaworu, able of projecting AT Fields. (Rei was not actually shown having this ability, but considering Kaworu said that they are the same and she comes from Lillith, it is very likely, and also Unit 01 is able of projecting an AT Field)
Coming to think about that, it wouldn't be so easy for him to defeat the EVAs, especially a berserk Unit 01 haha
In the movie he actually exhibits a similar capacity, when lots of soldiers try to shoot him at the same time and he's able to stop the bullets in mid-air.
As for the story itself, I found a writing pal to help me out, we are structuring the story together while he writes the narrative and I help out with dialogues and try to do some art with it. I'm not sure when we will post it as we haven't even finished chapter one yet, but we hope that by the time that it's online you'll enjoy it :)

EDIT: As for the Moon thing... I don't recall neither the White Moon nor the Black Moon possessing AT Fields, so in EVAverse the idea of him blowing it up wouldn't be so far fetched.

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 am

Er...I don't think that even a Berserk Eva could deal with Tetsuo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads ... ima_akira/

The crater that he blew in the moon has 800 Km wide, now, maybe is wank, but people could see it from Earth and debris from the moon fell on Earth.

Tetsuo is a Physical God, only Lilith!Rei or Adam!Kaworu could have a chance in my opinion.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Would an eva become a monsterous mound of flesh?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Return to “Fanfiction”