So was Asuka just mad at Shinji in Q?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: So was Asuka just mad at Shinji in Q?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:03 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:"Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss."
I can imagine Mari saying something like that, she loves to tease them.

I can't really imagine Asuka wanting help from him, and even so much as to kiss him of all people.

What I meant is that Shikinami is different from Soryu so you can't take elements from NGE or EoE and apply them to 3.0.
Shikinami in 2.0 is more similar to Shinji than she is to Soryu. Both are extremely lonely people, both are afraid of human contact and both tends to run away when things get uncomfortable.
The movie goes as far as repeating twice the same scene with both characters: in the shower with Pen-Pen, in Misato's car looking outside the window.

Think there might a connection between those two? That they're even more alike than they can imagine?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:13 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I can't really imagine Asuka wanting help from him, and even so much as to kiss him of all people.

Think there might a connection between those two? That they're even more alike than they can imagine?

Asuka would never kiss anyone, but Mari would totally say that! :lol:

On why Anno made Asuka that way I have no idea.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:49 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I can't really imagine Asuka wanting help from him

It's what literally happened at the end of 3.0, after she opened up his entry plug one of the first things she does is mention how he didn't come to her aid.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 pm

View Original PostSettie wrote:It's what literally happened at the end of 3.0, after she opened up his entry plug one of the first things she does is mention how he didn't come to her aid.

Wanting him to help her right after he was about to initiate 4I and Kaworu got his head blown off right beside him?

How typical for a war scenario when Asuka is soo dulled about violence, murder and death, that she doesn't give a damn when someone dies. Even if she does it now for 14 years, It would be interessting to see if she could've fought outside of her Eva and having to kill someone on her own.

Mari can have the first seat for seeing the very brutal and deserved end for her "Princess" and "Puppy" to happen. She can't stop them from making each other suffer.

For Asuka to Shinji it's the same as the Punisher smashing Billy "The Beauty" Russos face through glass.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:10 am

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:Wanting him to help her right after he was about to initiate 4I and Kaworu got his head blown off right beside him?

SPOILER: Show

It's the first thing she said to Shinji. And later the movie ends like this.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:21 am

But... it is not clear to what occasion she is referring there.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:20 am

In the italian Blu Ray I own Asuka's line implies she was talking about the present, that precise moment, and having seen that first I tend to use that interpretation.
But even if that's just adaptation for lip-sync or whatever there aren't really any other occasions that would make sense to bring up in that moment. Bardiel was never mentioned or directly referred in their previous dialogues, in space Shinji did respond to Asuka's call and on the dock he wanted to help her but he couldn't for reasons beyond his control.
Asuka referring to that precise moment is in line with what Mari says to Shinji before ejecting his entryplug from Evangelion 13 a few seconds before Asuka's line.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:53 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:"Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss."
I can imagine Mari saying something like that, she loves to tease them.

Now I am actually disappointed that this wasnt in the movie... it would be so like her to say something like that
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:35 am

She's a captain who graduated from university at like 13, she's way too smart to blame Shinji for being an angsty teenager who was given the power to end the world. At the end of the film, she clearly doesn't hate him enough to kill him (although her dialogue during the fight in Central Dogma before Shinji pulls the spears out of desperation say differently), but she clearly holds some contempt for him, be that because it was his recklessness that triggered Near 3I and possibly the real 3I that happened during the time-skip, or because he pulled the spears, probably a bit of both. She probably just wanted someone to place the blame on, but there's no way she can think everything is his fault. She likely punched the glass because Shinji looks so much like a shaved, glasses-less Gendo, who is really to blame for everything, what with giving an emotionally broken kid a giant that can completely ruin the planet if he so chooses.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:52 am

Asuka wasn’t just mad at Shinji, she’s probably also mad that he ran away from the world for 14 years. Yeah it’s possible that the timeskip was artificial but let’s be honest Shinji put himself in a state of escape at the end of 2.22.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 pm

I agree with the notion that Rei/Kaworu=escapism.
Ut's true that Shinji's escape is pretty justified, but even after having time to think he evades thinking about tge Wikle crew (or tries to).
Until the Toji-shirt thing happens.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”