From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:21 pm

I made a joke because it was an irrelevant and deflectionary question. You seem to have missed the joke so I poked you for it. Let’s get to the heart of this.

First off, it’s not a “lottery”, it’s looking at the two stories, seeing what elements blend well and then approaching the story based on the aforementioned. Me not taking the time to come Beder go this process doesn’t mean incapable of it, simply that I don’t find the idea interesting.

But guess what? I’m not representative of everyone. Some people might really like both shows, in that case, they might be willing to take the time to write a good story.

We’re not spinning a wheel, you’re forming a premise based on an analysis of the ingredients of both stories. Whether I’m willing to undergo this process isn’t relevant to the validity of the idea.

What’s silly is you’re trying to put Vux down for his ideas as if this thread’s purpose isn’t to spit ideas which writers can think and consider if they like or don’t like. You don’t like an idea? Ignore it, Vux is completely justified in suggesting ideas even if they’re out of your comfort zone. Instead of getting ticked off by other people’s ideas, suggest your own. You’re welcome to disagree with an idea, but it’s absurd you’re trying to suggest Vux shouldn’t suggest what he finds interesting.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 pm

I was thinking about the Evangelions fighting Hedorah the smog monster, a creature from would could be the weirdest godzila film ever. But anway, my idea is that Unit 01 digs into its body, but since its blood is acid, it melts the evas hands to the bone. Could this happen, and if it could, how would Shinji react?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:24 am

It's a lottery: just because you can put all the effort possible into carefully crafting a story using the most bizarre or inane premise possible, doesn't mean it's going to be good. Or, if it's fucking amazing, it doesn't mean anyone is going to like it! You might be the only person who sees the brilliance in why you should insert Muppet Baby characters into Evangelion, and the ability to make other people see that brilliance is going to come down to a combination of factors: some of which you can control as an author, and some of which are completely out of your control.

And we've (you'll notice: I'm not only one that's pointed this out!) become irritated because it's a waste of everyone's time if you're just filling up a thread by farting out the first thing that comes to mind. That's shitposting. It's not ideas, it's shitposting.

Here, here's an idea: when Shinji gets pulled into the Sea of Dirac, he finds himself standing at the phone-booth again, waiting. He's stunned to realize he's been here before, and looks to see where he expects Rei to appear, but instead, he sees Asuka. As he tries to process what he's seeing, the Angel attacks, Misato's car arrives...and it's Kaji, telling Shinji he needs to get in.

There. That's a prompt. You don't like it, you have enough to criticize on it. You have something to discuss. You have something to build on. And I just made that up on the spot.

If you have Eva Monkey on here mocking you, that's probably a big sign that what you're doing is not the intended purpose of the thread! It's great that you can find validity in spitballing, but if you shouldn't act surprised and shocked if when someone comes on here, and every other idea from them is some variation of, "What about Evangelion crossed with Ren and Stimpy?", with no explanation or follow up...and everyone gets exhausted by it. As I said, I'm not the only one that's made a comment on it.

And that's the double-edged sword of this thread: if you suggest an idea, be prepared to defend it. Be prepared for someone not to like it. And be prepared for that person to tell you they don't like it. Because if you can't deal with that now, whenever that story gets written and someone just shits all over it for no reason, that will be a shock to you.

If you suggest an idea, it might be criticized. Every single person (myself included) who have suggested ideas in this thread (and I've been here for awhile, so you might have to look for some of those ideas) has had their prompts dissected and criticized. And that's the strength of this thread: taking an idea, turning it into something useful, and either writing it, or letting someone else write it. And if all you're putting up is noise, it's a waste of time.

And just like we have the right to ignore it and not comment on it, you have the right not to get involved. If it's so galling to you that people might take issue with some of the ideas being presented, or the manner in which they are presented, hey: it's a big Forum!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:39 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Here, here's an idea: when Shinji gets pulled into the Sea of Dirac, he finds himself standing at the phone-booth again, waiting. He's stunned to realize he's been here before, and looks to see where he expects Rei to appear, but instead, he sees Asuka. As he tries to process what he's seeing, the Angel attacks, Misato's car arrives...and it's Kaji, telling Shinji he needs to get in.

I...........kinda wanna see where that goes actually
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 am

Same here.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:27 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I...........kinda wanna see where that goes actually

Me to never thought about that concept ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:53 am

Let's see... Asuka has been training since childhood to be a pilot, so that might've caused her to develop such a deep metaphysical connection to her Eva that she can do this kind of pseudo astral projection thing Rei can in canon, despite being fully human. Maybe not intentionally or even consciously, but it's there.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:19 am

@gob hobblin Well written stories have universal appeal, irrelvant of how interesting the subject is. And it's not a lottery to write a well writeen, there's objective things like dialogoue, description, characterization, development, ect. that you can excel with irreleavnt of the premise.

The thread's ebing filled up with Vux's posts because the other people here aren't suggesting their own ideas.

Finally, the issue isn't that you're crutizing his idea, the issue is you're criticizing him for suggesting the idea. Focus on the content, not the poster. The first one falls under the double edged sword, the second one is unjustified.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby ErgoProxy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:11 pm

'K. let's play along these new rules. How about a crossover between NGE and Deep Throat, focused on Asuka's misadventures with Angels and how much she liked them? Or between NGE and EP, where Vincent is gay and he clones male Asuka as a servant for his desires? Or, if nobody likes Mine Excellent Ideas, could there be possible a crossover between Evangelion and The Constitution of the Russian Federation?

@amitakartok: I always thought Rei's "quantum magic" abilities were only due to her God status she reached in the end of the original story; and since God transcends both time and space, she can "jump" into whatever moment and place she wants to, physically (so these are not projections and they have nothing to do with Evas, but much with Adam/Lilith fusion). Of course you can now send me back to some old discussion on this board, where such concept is proven invalid.
JUSTICE & MERCY

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:15 pm

ABB: If all it took for a story to gain universal appeal was being well-written, than there are a lot of great writers today and throughout history that would like to have a word with you. By that same token, we live in a day and age where 50 Shades of Gray gets movie deals.

It's a lottery. It's a lottery where you can shift the odds, but it's still a lottery. If your barometer of success as a writer is having other people enjoy and consume your work, than you are at the mercy of those other people deciding your work is good. And even if it's the most well-written story out there, if the premise is alienating, or they don't just don't get it, the story fails. Which means: premise matters. So Frankensteining two unlike things together and saying, "It's okay! I got this: I'm a writer!" is just shooting craps.

Now, there are a lot of good threads on this Forum that are sitting idle. Starting them up with valid posts is great: if you can resurrect a dead thread with awesome posts, so be it! You are encouraged to do this. Activating posts with meaningless, silly, or inane comments generally gets frowned upon. You will see that this is considered poor Forum etiquette, and the Graveyard has dozens and dozens of those posts cropped from the threads. Because they're junk. You might not like that, but the Graveyard still exists.

Now, if a poster posts one post of a certain manner, that post is criticized. If they post a second one, that post will probably also be criticized. After three...that starts a reputation. And at that point, it's probably not the posts that are being talked about. Again, you might not like that, but it's really not up to you. It's really not up to me, either! It just is what it is.

Everyone Else: I like your idea of Asuka projecting in Rei, amitakartok, but there's so many possibilities that can be deduced from that, from time-travel/butterfly effect to skipping dimensions. Does Shinji try and get back 'home?' Does the story just play out in this new dimension? Does he get sucked into the Sea of Dirac again, and restart again: and this time, it's Kaworu standing there, and an older Asuka is in the car? Or Maya? Or Ritsuko? Do the personalities stay the same while the roles switch, or do they change? Or is it the form of the person changing, and the personality is tied to the position? Does Shinji gain 'forward momentum' in development from this, or does it break him even further? Does he keep fighting to protect the different places he's being forced into, does he keep hope that there's a way 'home,' or does it make him more detached, as each time he rebuilds connections, they're pulled away as he gets pulled in? Further, does he learn not to get pulled in...or is he throwing himself in each time deliberately? Or does the Sea of Dirac come randomly? Different Angels, different attacks, ways he wasn't anticipating?

Just more ammo for you guys.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:32 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:It's a lottery: just because you can put all the effort possible into carefully crafting a story using the most bizarre or inane premise possible, doesn't mean it's going to be good. Or, if it's fucking amazing, it doesn't mean anyone is going to like it! You might be the only person who sees the brilliance in why you should insert Muppet Baby characters into Evangelion, and the ability to make other people see that brilliance is going to come down to a combination of factors: some of which you can control as an author, and some of which are completely out of your control.

And we've (you'll notice: I'm not only one that's pointed this out!) become irritated because it's a waste of everyone's time if you're just filling up a thread by farting out the first thing that comes to mind. That's shitposting. It's not ideas, it's shitposting.

Here, here's an idea: when Shinji gets pulled into the Sea of Dirac, he finds himself standing at the phone-booth again, waiting. He's stunned to realize he's been here before, and looks to see where he expects Rei to appear, but instead, he sees Asuka. As he tries to process what he's seeing, the Angel attacks, Misato's car arrives...and it's Kaji, telling Shinji he needs to get in.

There. That's a prompt. You don't like it, you have enough to criticize on it. You have something to discuss. You have something to build on. And I just made that up on the spot.

If you have Eva Monkey on here mocking you, that's probably a big sign that what you're doing is not the intended purpose of the thread! It's great that you can find validity in spitballing, but if you shouldn't act surprised and shocked if when someone comes on here, and every other idea from them is some variation of, "What about Evangelion crossed with Ren and Stimpy?", with no explanation or follow up...and everyone gets exhausted by it. As I said, I'm not the only one that's made a comment on it.

And that's the double-edged sword of this thread: if you suggest an idea, be prepared to defend it. Be prepared for someone not to like it. And be prepared for that person to tell you they don't like it. Because if you can't deal with that now, whenever that story gets written and someone just shits all over it for no reason, that will be a shock to you.

If you suggest an idea, it might be criticized. Every single person (myself included) who have suggested ideas in this thread (and I've been here for awhile, so you might have to look for some of those ideas) has had their prompts dissected and criticized. And that's the strength of this thread: taking an idea, turning it into something useful, and either writing it, or letting someone else write it. And if all you're putting up is noise, it's a waste of time.

And just like we have the right to ignore it and not comment on it, you have the right not to get involved. If it's so galling to you that people might take issue with some of the ideas being presented, or the manner in which they are presented, hey: it's a big Forum!

So now your saying that Godzilla and Eva don't work either, i thought i already got this lexure, plus, in what way do they exactly not work?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm

...VUX, what the heck are you talking about?
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:36 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:So now your saying that Godzilla and Eva don't work either

If Godzilla and My Little Pony can work together (great fic BTW) then i'm pretty sure it can work with Eva. In fact, there was one attempt that seems to do just that, only that there's just one chapter out with currently no sign of more coming, which is a shame, i was intrigued with its premise
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:39 pm

The property of Godzilla runs the gamut so widely, from dead-serious and almost horror to straight up batshit insane, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to fail at somehow merging Godzilla with any other property. There's, like...a Gojira for everything from drama to comedy.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

brer rabbit
Embryo

Postby brer rabbit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:37 pm

I been thinking about doing an Alpha Flight/Evangelion crossover but with a twist... It will be the 1986 version of the team. :tongue:

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:27 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:...VUX, what the heck are you talking about?

Oh, i thought you were reacting to my one post, sorry about that Gobb Hobblin!

Ps. Anything else someone want's to talk about?

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:55 pm

I know this is double posting, but i just want to say, nothings really been happening on the thread

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:56 am

View Original PostVUX wrote:I know this is double posting, but i just want to say, nothings really been happening on the thread

-> Don't want posters clogging a thread with ideas they don't like
-> Don't use aforementioned thread

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:11 pm

What's the worst Eva crossover you've ever read?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm

That "Shinji gets a wish fulfillment family composed of a dozen characters from different series, both western and anime" one.

Haven't actually read it, mind you; I didn't have the stomach to even finish the first chapter.

Return to “Fanfiction”