All Evageeks should watch HBO's True Detective

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: All Evageeks should watch HBO's True Detective

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:56 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Mahershala Ali in early talks for S3.

Confirmed
Plot is..
The next installment tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas. It does not currently have an air date, nor is there a set date for the start of production.

Nic Pizzolatto is set to direct, along with Jeremy Saulnier.

As much as liked the whole cast for S2, I think we have a lot more potential from Ali.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Jeremy Saulnier is a quality guy. Only got to meet him for a few minutes but Blue Ruin is a perfect example of the tone he would bring to a third season.

As long as the writing is up to snuff - the writing of this season has not been as rushed as Season 2 was which basically ended up shooting with a First Draft - there's no reason this shouldn't be HBO's BIG EVENT SERIES of 2018 while they hold off Game of Thrones: Final Season until 2019.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Full cast list & more plot details listed here.
Ray Fisher (cyborg) is playing Ali's son.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/20 ... on-nelson/

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:42 pm

This sounds super interesting, and aside from the middle-of-nowhere/small town setting (I'm so sick of it because I grew up in this type of area), seems right up my alley. I have the first episode, vignette-ed and sped up, pulled up on YouTube, but how can I watch the rest of the series without subscribing to HBO or buying every episode on Google Play?
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:47 pm

I wonder whether they’ll pivot back to the weird fiction feel of the first season or turn away from it?

As much as I loved S1 I think it might be better if each season is totally different.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 pm

I just hope that Pizzolatto delivered a better script this time around since he was given a lot more time to work on it. Seriously, HBO expecting him to churn out 500 or so pages in less than a year for season 2 was catastrophically dumb on their part.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:33 am

I have high hopes for Season 3.

I think HBO learned their lesson from Season 2 that this series is not like regular TV. You can't rush out a script (Season 1 feels like a book while Season 2 feels like a first draft where the author is trying to get all their ideas on paper before diluting and strengthening what they're trying to say) and you can't treat it like regular TV with 6 directors handling various episodes instead of one guy making it an eight hour movie in one hour segments.

Hearing the new Season won't be ready for airing until 2019 gives me more promise. Season 2 was far too rushed going from announcement to release in about a year's time. They're taking their time with this one and I'll repeat that Jeremy Saulnier (the director) isn't just a nice guy to have a beer with but also has a strong directorial vision.

I don't know if Season 3 could ever equal the magic of the first season (that was truly a case of lighting in a bottle where something magical came out of nowhere with the perfect cast & crew) but I think it will be a very solid season of TV.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 am

Pizzilato is a plagiarist who stole some of the best ideas and lines of dialogue in TD S1 from another, living author. That makes me a little leery. On the other hand, I actually liked S2 and it could have been really good if it had gone through the writing process a little more and there wasn’t a whole plot line throw in because an actor (Kitsch) wanted to be in the show.

Are they having multiple directors or one director for the entire season this time? Part of the reason S1 feels like a book is that it was all the work of one director.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 am

What book did he steal from? This is news to me. Very interesting. Is this confirmed as actual stealing or is this a case of Pizzolatto was too inspired by one text (like how Anno lifted a ton for Eva from Ideon or how most mecha anime today owes Eva royalties).

To my knowledge from some sources, the plan for Season 3 is that it will be another 8 episode series, that Jeremy Saulnier will do the brunt of directing overseeing 5 to 7 episodes and Pizzolato will make his directing debut doing 1 to 3 episodes. Why they don't stick with one is beyond me. It might very well be one of Pizzolatto contract negotiations behind the scenes - "I get to try my hand at directing".

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:18 am

Weird fiction has a long tradition of uncredited borrowing that’s usually treated as homage, so the lifting from Robert W. Chambers is par for the course.

Unfortunately Pizzolato lifted a significant number of Rust’s lines and arguments from the world of contemporary weird fiction author Thomas Ligotti.

It was a pretty big mistake on his part. Ligotti is pretty obscure but in the age of the Internet, referencing The King in Yellow is practically begging to be called out.

If he’d kept up tradition by just admitted that Ligotti inspired him he’d have been fine but he denied it.

Ligotti might have been able to pursue litigation (he’d have more grounds to sue for infringement here than Ellison did when he sued Cameron over the supposed similarities between The Terminator and his Outer Limits episodes Demon with a Glass Hand and Soldier) but Ligotti is notoriously either a very very weird person or another author’s undisclosed pseudonym.

The Ligotti work that True Detective lifted from is Conspiracy Against the Human Race.

I can’t tell if Pizzolato intend the audience to think even the Chambers stuff he borrowed was original too or not, but it’s intersting that he didn’t incorporate a single other Mythos reference into his script, not even the identification of the King in Yellow with Hastur that other mythos authors added later. Actually I’m pretty sure Pizzolato only ever uses the epithet Yellow King rather than the direct reference, although Carcosa is from the Chambers book as well.
the prophecy is true

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:42 pm

Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 am

I think Nic Pizzolatto's massive chip on his shoulder from not getting all the credit for the greatness of Season 1 (he was usually given credit after Cary Fukunaga's great direction & Matthew McConaughey + Woody Harrelson's excellent performances & apparently took great insult from that) has struck again. Having to read "Jeremy Saulnier is here to save True Detective" probably reopened those old wounds and did nothing to make the on-set experience a communal one.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:42 pm

The two biggest mistakes they made in Season 2 were taking focus away from being a cohesive story over silliness like Taylor Kitsch getting a whole (meandering, pointless) plotline because he asked to be in the show, and completely moving away from the weird fiction feel of the first series. I hope they reverse course on those. I'm still pissed that S2 had nothing to do with the secret occult history of the US transportation system.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:24 pm

New trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btoZfxs0pE0

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm still pissed that S2 had nothing to do with the secret occult history of the US transportation system.

Same, I heard somewhere (that I can't find at this point) that they plan to go back to that plot line in S4.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:44 pm

^Unless you can provide a source that sounds like some BS someone made up in a Reddit thread that people are overblowing up as fact.

HBO is very much approaching True Detective one season at a time now. Zero discussion have been made about further seasons until they see how 3 performs.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:25 am

Anyone watch Season 3?
I liked a lot, more then 2 which was acceptably decent to me.
Characters felt a lot more natural, none of the overly meandering philosophical rants of s2.
Ali & Dorff killed it. The old man make up for them was fantastic as was their gate & mannerisms in the 3rd time frame.
Final episode was good but had some tonally weird music & flashback choices. Scenes that are meant to be wholesome sound ominous & unnerving.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 pm

The entire cast killed it and I for one thought the ending was beautiful. It was a poetic, but not sappy, response to the ending of Season 1.

It reminded me a lot of Fincher’s *Zodiac*. There’s something fun about detective stories a about
SPOILER: Show
unsolvable cases
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 26, 2022 7:05 pm

Jodie Foster to star in Season 4!
Plot...
“When the long winter night falls in Ennis, Alaska, the six men that operate the Tsalal Arctic Research Station vanish without a trace. To solve the case, Detectives Liz Danvers and Evangeline Navarro will have to confront the darkness they carry in themselves, and dig into the haunted truths that lie buried under the eternal ice.”

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:10 pm

Now that sounds different. That sounds less like a pulp detective plot hook and more like a scifi one.

Kind of reminds me of Dan Simmons' novel The Abomindable which
SPOILER: Show
despite the title and being set in the Himalayas, has no references to an abominable snowman whatsoever, lol

Return to “Film and Video”