Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Metal Gear Solid

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:48 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Just sayin' hi real quick!

Glad you're still around! I was getting worried.
[Redacted]

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:24 pm

It seems the MGS series is still going ahead without Kojima at the helm, although the "S" now stands for "Survive."

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/metal-gear-s ... box-one-pc

Introducing the just-announced-today Metal Gear Survive, a co-op stealth game for PS4, X1, and PC.

Gematsu wrote:Metal Gear Survive picks up from the ending of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, to an alternate timeline caused by unexplained wormholes forming in the sky. Players find themselves on distorted desert landscapes full of massive half-formed structures, living biological threats, and the remains of a once strong military force now litter the landscape.

I've got an explanation for the wormholes: R&D was tinkering with an upgrade to the wormhole device and dun goof'd! :lol:

Anyhow, I'm both excited and anxious about this announcement. From the description and screenshots it looks like it could either be really great or really terrible. One thing's for sure, it's going to be very different from past MGS games. Still, I want to see where they go with this.
[Redacted]

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Who is authorizing this? Such a lust for retreads... WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:24 am

I was totally in, until the blue lights started in the sky and the guy started floating upwards with the shitty music blaring. This is beyond even farce.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:19 am

"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:26 am

^I honestly can't tell if this is better or worse for the franchise than pachinko hell.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 am

So, my best friend bought a copy of the (Japanese) MGS3 Scenario book. While it's similar to some Evangelion books in that certain insights aren't too surprising if you're pay attention to the characters/script/blah blah blah, there's plenty of interesting things.

Various interesting points:
    ・Jack/The Boss were lovers (like Kojima also stated here) as part of their multifaceted relationship (e.g. John's words in the game are "It went deeper than that." when EVA asks "And your lover?").
    ・John's injury in the torture room was a muzzle flash blinding (there was some debate to this day, apparently).
    ・In Japanese, EVA whispers an English "Fuck you" to Volgin which was toned down to "Go the hell!" during the C3 scene.
    ・The Boss's "Even in those we love" line in her "Loyalty to the End" speech was referencing The Sorrow.

Some information nicely coincides with Kojima's MGS3 commentary, too.

If you'd like to check out the thread which is updated as it can be (Since it's such a massive book, things are added every so often!) it's here:
(If Twitter links act wonky: https://twitter.com/Fire1Gasoline/status/967039300704579584)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 pm

I recently got the Legacy Collection after hearing so much about this series, and at $30USD, it seemed like a steal. When it arrived and I first opened the case, I immediately understood the hate for modern Konami and their laziness. The collection contains two digital codes (MGS and MGS VR Missions) and two discs (MGS II, III, and Peace Walker, and MGS4). All they did was physically re-skin discs of MGS HD Collection and MGS4, with no changes to the actual disc's content, and put them in a badass case with an insert with codes for MGS and VR Missions. The first disc straight up says 'Metal Gear Solid HD Collection' on the XMB menu.

Actually playing the games, however, was a completely different experience, and shocked me as to how well they held up. As of now, I've only completed MGS and played a bit of VR missions, but I can tell why people love these games so much. I didn't even mind having to
SPOILER: Show
run around and change the shape of the key card. I had been led to believe by so many reviews and retrospectives that it was an hour long drag, but the only part that took longer than it should've,
at least in my opinion, was the last one. Having to go all the way back to that heat room sucked.
I also really liked how
the ending, and Snake's fate, were kept ambiguous. Clearly, he doesn't die of FoxDie between MGS and Sons of Liberty, but I wouldn't be surprised if FoxDie comes back later as a plot point.
I expected to already know everything that happened because I had watched a let's play about a year before playing it, but the
post-credits conversation caught me completely off guard. I honestly didn't expect Solid to be the superior clone, and I'm looking forward to more plot twists in the future games

All in all, I'm really glad to have picked this up, and will be starting II in a month or two.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Wow. We have HD Collection since the other games we own either the previous releases of, or digitally, but releasing Legacy Collection like that...Er...wow.

Actually, about Solid in the end credits:

He was the inferior one, according to Ocelot.

Also be sure to check out the 2 original MSX games under the Extras section of MGS3 (You might have to beat 3 first to access them). The original Metal Gear from 1987 isn't as plot-heavy as 1990's MG 2 (MGS1 very much follows similar beats to the MSX MG 2, though both are great games and MG 2's music is excellent), they're both important to Solid's mental state throughout the rest of the series.

Once you're done with Legacy Collection, check out MGSV (Ground Zeroes and then The Phantom Pain), too. Your mileage may vary on enjoyment story-wise, but gameplay-wise, it's super fun.

These are really fun as extra supplements to MGS1 and 2, in my opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHReMw0zVE (MGS2 is in the auto-play list, though you might want to watch digital graphic novel 2 after you play MGS3 due to a fun little "extra" that graphic novel 2 throws in :wink: )

In case you're interested, here's the chronological order game breakdown. (I highly recommend to release order the first time through as you're doing, though! That's how I first played, too.)

Image)

That Twitter link in my above post isn't displaying right so I fixed it. (This, for reference: https://twitter.com/Fire1Gasoline/status/967039300704579584)

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:36 pm

Is this about the Metal Gear series in general or a specific game?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 pm

The series overall—as the topic title implies :wink:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:57 pm

If you're an MGS fan or voice acting fan, this is a real treat with Robin Atkin Downes and David Hayter from MGS1's 20th Anniversary in October: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koG-Mycvvco Lots of interesting stuff about the series overall.

Today at 2 PM Pacific time, there was a livestream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK8FktCxNp8 of the Peace Walker Drama CD sauna track :lol: BBKaz after so many years is like a dream come true

The coolest thing! I've waited years for this :heart:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:00 am

And if that wasn't enough, Cam Clarke called Hayter over for some Christmas silliness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jujZUruiy8

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Truly a Christmas miracle: I thought it was a PS3-only glitch, but this happened when I loaded up the game on my PS4 today. (I posted a bunch of screenshots on my Twitter for the interested.) Edit: Holy shit, apparently it's official? Very cool if so :heart:

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid ... ppened_on/

Go, go, go! :boingy: Before Fuckonami removes it (lol but likely)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:50 am

Well how about that.

Grayfox5
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grayfox5 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:06 am

Looking forward to the MGS3 remake (Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater)

I heard that David Hayter is voicing Naked Snake in the remake, can't wait to hear his Big Boss voice after so long. I've been replaying MGS3 to understand the story and hopefully, the remake doesn't change everything and retcon some stuff as MGS3 is kinda the baseplate for lore in the rest of the games. I'm hyped for the gameplay footage as I wonder how the interrogating system will work and if the inventory and camo stuff will be the same or different.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:32 am

I'll probably play MGSDelta anyways, but its hard for me to have much confidence in the series without Kojima. That franchise is his baby first and foremost.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”