Who else is de-sensitized?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

fukuda
Embryo

Who else is de-sensitized?

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Who else simply refuses to feel anything at something disgusting or off-color?
Who else can no longer bear to get mad at any real-time events that others protest over?
Who else is simply left in wait?

In other words, who got redpilled, indignified, depressed, and saw The Wall and End of Evangelion around the same times?
I love you todoite kono omoi
kitto itsuka wa kanau yo ne
konna kimochi setsuna sugiru no

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

ran1
Banned

Re: Who else is de-sensitized?

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:05 pm

End of Evangelion isn't "red-pilled", though. As meaningless as that word's become, it doesn't fit the criteria, really. I'm not sure how EoE does anything but blackpill and then reinforce anti-transhumanist reactionary epicureanism, which is a far cry from the sort of Faith/Family/Free Market ideology that red-pilling advocates.

If you're looking for the fresh new ideology named accelerationism that gathers all of those feelings you were mentioning before into praxis, might I point you to the works of Nick Land, perhaps?
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 am

I can't say I'm desensitized to disgusting things, but being such an Eva nut has made me desensitized to insane action. I finished Gurren Lagann last night and for as nucking futs as the final battle was, I didn't really feel as much as I know I should've. I didn't even feel anything at any of the character's deaths except
SPOILER: Show
Kittan, and even that was mostly because it was such a huge action sequence.
I'm glad I haven't gotten sick of psychological stories though, I really enjoyed watching Simon's
SPOILER: Show
descent into madness after Kamina's murder, it gave off a real Revenge of the Sith vibe.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:38 am

Sounds like a clear case of growing up syndrome a.k.a. puberty here. Well, the majority of people isn't really happy or has a lot of emotions to begin with, and imo everyone must find their own way to be in peace with themselves. Hell, even I mostly are reactionless towards most media, because I don't care what doesn't directly affect me, yet I had watched shows where I almost pissed myself from laughter, so there's always hope.
But I already felt a bit of depression when I started watching Evangelion and it's remakes. Could be contagious, but who knows?
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:52 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:End of Evangelion isn't "red-pilled", though. As meaningless as that word's become, it doesn't fit the criteria, really. I'm not sure how EoE does anything but blackpill and then reinforce anti-transhumanist reactionary epicureanism, which is a far cry from the sort of Faith/Family/Free Market ideology that red-pilling advocates.

If you're looking for the fresh new ideology named accelerationism that gathers all of those feelings you were mentioning before into praxis, might I point you to the works of Nick Land, perhaps?

I think what you said about the "redpill" thing replicates my exact sort-of "dis-satisfaction" with Evangelion. I remember choosing to watch it because I heard so much about it, and I thought there was a certain reason it was heralded as a master-piece of "mindfuckery", but I ended up getting something that didn't really align with all that was expecting. The words that had been lost from my mouth have now found their place.

By the way, by "redpill", I mean not as result of Evangelion, but from a different website. The sort of red-pill where you hoard statistics and files and analyze everything going on as a device for power.

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

Julius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Julius » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

End of Evangelion was pretty melancholic, but the final scene was positive to me, to some extent.

Wheter it was unconscious or not, Shinji rejected Instrumentality, as a false forme of trascendence,thus giving humanity another chance at starting back up.

This is very anti-hedonistic, contrary to what ran1 said. Even heroic if you will.

The beauty of it, it's his realism, not systematic at all,the complete opposite of the TV ending.

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:33 am

Well, I stick with my opinion that the kids here are putting to much thought into it. There are to many aspects to look at a tv show or movie to get a singular meaning out of it. The only thing from all the changes between each and every installment, TV show or movie alike, I could account to Anno is the ingenuity he puts every now and then into it, but that is then just his own choosing and doing so might rather be a narrative element. Besides we are talking here about a piece of fantasy not a real subject of psychology, phylosophy or who knows what...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 pm

There are to many aspects to look at a tv show or movie to get a singular meaning out of it.

It's OK to have several interpretations of a work I'd say.
Life itself is ambiguous after all.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 am

View Original PostTheChosenJuan wrote:Well, I stick with my opinion that the kids here are putting to much thought into it. There are to many aspects to look at a tv show or movie to get a singular meaning out of it. The only thing from all the changes between each and every installment, TV show or movie alike, I could account to Anno is the ingenuity he puts every now and then into it, but that is then just his own choosing and doing so might rather be a narrative element. Besides we are talking here about a piece of fantasy not a real subject of psychology, phylosophy or who knows what...

Same. To me, it's a good show and all, it knows how to carry itself.
I mainly made this post to know if there was any other people like me that would understand what I posted as a "call from behind the wall". EoE and other things I listed are not "side-effects" of Evangelion, just objects that were used to manifest the existential fury.

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Fantasy is a reflection of reality.
It being filled with meaning is inevitable, even moreso with something like Eva.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:45 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Fantasy is a reflection of reality.
It being filled with meaning is inevitable, even moreso with something like Eva.

I'd rather call it an abstraction, but that is simply my point of view. Like everything else here is just what everyone else thinks. Which is something that makes me question if Evangelion is even supposed to have any substance in the first place or just a blank space on a meta-level. Sure it's a show about giant robots (like come on, they never fought without the armor) piloted by young adults with puberty-issues in a world governed by negligent adults, that would've never achieve their positions in the real world. Yet there is always something to talk about that seems to have everything and nothing to do with it. I bet it's all linked to the lack of closure in many parts of the narration and lore (like with Dark Souls).

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Well boiled down to its core it is about life being worth living.
Shinji makes the decision to live at the end, despite everything that has happened. It is up to the viewer to decide if they agree.
And there is always meaning in art, just like language, it's a code.
The visuals in Eva for example communicate a lot. It's a code with its own rules.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”