How many people in this forum would support an Instrumentality for mankind?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

fukuda
Embryo

Re: How many people in this forum would support an Instrumentality for mankind?

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:59 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Meeeeeehhhhhhhh....myeah, I can see your point.

I prefer to see life as a drunken binge, one step ahead of the Russians and lawyers, wearing someone else's shoes and waving a revolver in the air.

Australians hold the key to the universe. This is a known fact. They live life to the fullest, they are among the happiest. It is not a surprise that they are also master shitposters. Perhaps there is a relation?
I love you todoite kono omoi
kitto itsuka wa kanau yo ne
konna kimochi setsuna sugiru no

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:11 pm

...I thought that was alcohol related.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:22 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:...I thought that was alcohol related.

I meant that you can't escape existence even if you wanted to. You exist no matter what, until the God decides for things to end. That's a plus.

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

Epilogue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:17 pm

I just personally don't understand what part of my thought process is so hard to get. This world doesn't treat us right in my mind, so the moment I get ANY chance to fuck it up(like Instrumentality), I'm gonna take it. I hate the concept of "sucking it up" or compromising to anything, which is why I suggest the underpaid workers kill either themselves or their bosses. If they can't destroy whatever is forcing them to compromise, they need to at least spite it, at any cost. None of that has ANYTHING to do with nihilism.

At the end of the day, we all do have to endure the shenanigans of living in this world. It's just that I happen to hold a grudge against this undoubtedly shitty world for being so shitty.

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

View Original PostEpilogue wrote:I just personally don't understand what part of my thought process is so hard to get. This world doesn't treat us right in my mind, so the moment I get ANY chance to fuck it up(like Instrumentality), I'm gonna take it. I hate the concept of "sucking it up" or compromising to anything, which is why I suggest the underpaid workers kill either themselves or their bosses. If they can't destroy whatever is forcing them to compromise, they need to at least spite it, at any cost. None of that has ANYTHING to do with nihilism.

At the end of the day, we all do have to endure the shenanigans of living in this world. It's just that I happen to hold a grudge against this undoubtedly shitty world for being so shitty.

What happens when you get tired of holding the grudge? When you can no longer sustain your anger, and when you choose to just accept it? Does this just not happen? Or do people continually get mad over things they cannot change?

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:40 pm

View Original Postfukuda wrote:What happens when you get tired of holding the grudge? When you can no longer sustain your anger, and when you choose to just accept it? Does this just not happen? Or do people continually get mad over things they cannot change?

See me, I never stop holding that grudge, I've just decided to hold into logical conclusions instead and just continue ahead (mainly because I have a father, mother and friends to take care)

Instead I take 'will' to continue from my own grudge and anger, now when my family doesn't need me anymore? Goodbye, everyone can hold on with life that they do love so much, but I not, there's too many injustices in life that are actually needed to keep an advancing civilization (as that some will lose and others will win, that some will be the worst and others will be the best) that my own sense of justice can't accept.

Just thinking about accepting it makes me...to want to puke, also for that reason I don't pretend to have a family, make a poor kid to live in this reality? No, I cannot be that cruel (now you people can have kids and say that I am being full of shit, but remember, you think that life is good)

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:17 pm

View Original PostLt Light Ark wrote:See me, I never stop holding that grudge, I've just decided to hold into logical conclusions instead and just continue ahead (mainly because I have a father, mother and friends to take care)

Just thinking about accepting it makes me...to want to puke, also for that reason I don't pretend to have a family, make a poor kid to live in this reality? No, I cannot be that cruel (now you people can have kids and say that I am being full of shit, but remember, you think that life is good)

Contrary, I once was just like you.
So people never truly give up with madness and anger? People never ask themselves to stop getting mad?

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:03 pm

View Original Postfukuda wrote:Contrary, I once was just like you.
So people never truly give up with madness and anger? People never ask themselves to stop getting mad?

Asking myself to give up of that is the same to ask myself to not care about any beggar in the street, to see people losing in life or losing loved ones and simply state "Get over it, that is life for you, now that they're dead, they are less than trash, as they're not alive so stop caring about then and care about another, they are dead so they are useless and by now? They're trash."

Obviously I wouldn't say that to anyone, but that would be the equivalent of me stating that to myself and no.

There's no justice in this.
No justice for then, no justice towards those that lost.

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:44 pm

View Original PostLt Light Ark wrote:Asking myself to give up of that is the same to ask myself to not care about any beggar in the street, to see people losing in life or losing loved ones and simply state "Get over it, that is life for you, now that they're dead"

I see. Interesting.

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

Julius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Julius » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Right now? Yes,at least partially, so the ones who don't get entangled will observe and learn about this phenomenon.

An "Instrumental" Instrumentality, so to speak..

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:^
With all due respect, that ancient Chinese proverb is a crock of shit.

I mean, the ratio is already off, because I can objectively say that, as miserable as I am at times, my life is pretty damned good in the grand scheme of things. The majority of human beings can objectively look at their lives and say, "There is more that makes me happy than not." If you can make it through the day with a paycheck, at least two meals, and a little time to play on the Internet or read a book, that's a great day.

You have stats on that? Because the majority of people don't live in the relatively comfortable positions I'm willing to bet virtually all forumers here are living in.

Not that this would be a justification for instrumentality...
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:28 pm

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:You have stats on that? Because the majority of people don't live in the relatively comfortable positions I'm willing to bet virtually all forumers here are living in.

Not that this would be a justification for instrumentality...

Vannila Instrumentality no, but one where people can choose if they want to go in or not? Yes.

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:09 pm

One conscience contained with the minds of everyone on Earth? I imagine that'd be genuinely awful, as fantastic of an idea as that may sound on paper. Almost everyone likes to find solutions to their problems and flaws, but without them I imagine it'd be a very dull existence with no true meaning anymore. We're a lot better off - seperate but together - than we are as one (if that makes any sense hahah).
I do love me some Rei guns.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:38 pm

View Original PostEpilogue wrote:If I had an Asuka who clearly hates Instrumentality, then no, I won't support Instrumentality. Otherwise, though, why the fuck not? What the fuck is the point of living in the real world?

I'm not trying to bring this discussion back over again, but your suicidal speech doesn't make much sense within the Instrumentality frame anyway. I don't think it works like a collective suicide or something. In fact, I think that instrumentality precisely tries to overcome reality itself. It's just a passive state where you fell the contact of others but you don't feel the pain anymore. If the problem is that you hate the others and think that life is not worth it, I think Instrumentality is not for you. The way I see it, Instrumentality is just a heaven for cowards. Think about it: everything is happy, you are immortal but you're not really alive or dead. Nobody does nothing, nobody holds its shape or its conscience, it's just a passive relief.

If, on the other hand, the problem is that you only feel pain in your life because of the others, then maybe Instrumentality is for you. But again, I think the only way that Instrumentality can help mankind is as an experience, only during a lapse of time. Otherwise, is just if every one of us were plugged into a machine of pleasure being unaware of anything outside the machine. Think about how pathetic would be living that way forever.

View Original PostEpilogue wrote:chances are, rape won't even be the worst bad thing to happen to each of us, or the last.

As a woman who has lived some shitty situations and some nasty feelings, I can tell you that being raped would be the worst of all.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:56 pm

It depends... is there wifi in Instrumentality ?
More seriously, no. I believe individuality is a very important thing, and merging my mind with other people's doesn't sound very appalling.
The only situation where I could accept Instrumentality would be if Earth was screwed beyond repair and all lifeforms were going to die horribly.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:33 pm

View Original PostZQFMGB wrote:It depends... is there wifi in Instrumentality ?
More seriously, no. I believe individuality is a very important thing, and merging my mind with other people's doesn't sound very appalling.
The only situation where I could accept Instrumentality would be if Earth was screwed beyond repair and all lifeforms were going to die horribly.

>he doesn't know that we're already screwed beyond repair

"When our Hearts are melting,
I will be destroyed".

Weirdly enough - If I have my knowledge correct- according to Kabbalah, "Tikkun Olam", or "Instrumentality" is the way the end of the world will come about. I'm not sure about this, but I bet that in the practicioners eyes, we are nearing the end of the world. The original "60,000 souls" will decide whether to weave the world into a single consciousness or not.

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”