Shinji likes space: 3.0/FINAL foreshadowing?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Shinji likes space: 3.0/FINAL foreshadowing?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:09 pm

I would need to go through the whole plot, but Anno has said so himself.
I mean Mazinger Z is the og mecha, and totally the type of power fantasy Anno is deconstructing/hommaging at the same time.
The reveal of both the Mazinger and Eva are similar, similar to the action arc Mazinger is a monster of the week story, taking a darker turn later with a chapter that is pretty reminiscent of the Bardiel fight (actually two chapters that Anno combined).
The pilot of Aphrodite is pretty much a tsundere, the mechs bleed, there is constant talk of some connection between the pilot and the mech, the mechs used by the enemy were apparently left behind by an acient civilization, etc.
And similar to Shinji and Toji, Koji Kabuto has some bullies mess with him and later becomes friends with them. Only Koji beats the crap out of them, because he's a shonen character and has dem sideburnz.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:51 am

I swear to god if Unit 8+2 kills Gendo and then the WUNDER goes into space to find the First Ancestral Race's homeworld and the WUNDER fuses with Unit 8+2 and they have an intense 15 minute battle sequence set to rap-opera and A Cruel Angel's Thesis, I'm going to lose my shit.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:58 am

Well, at least part of that has already been jossed.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:20 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Well, at least part of that has already been jossed.

Oh god, I know the horns are supposed to be a reference to the original concept of Evangelions being based on mechanized Oni, but I can't help but see it as the broken ring on the front of Gurren Lagann's helmet. I much preferred when I thought Eva was original, before going full weeaboo and binging a bunch of anime that inspired Eva.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 pm

I thought the horns were a reference to the bow of Space Battleship Yamato?
SPOILER: Show
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”