Does Shinji deserve all the hate?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Joseki
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Does Shinji deserve all the hate?

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:30 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Not even...someone like Asuka? Or Gendo?

「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Not even...someone like Asuka? Or Gendo?

Asuka is a 10/10 person.
Gendo is another story.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:20 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:More in the Anglosphere than in Japan, I believe. This already suggests that our reactions to him are coloured by our varied social prejudices.

Male Japanese Main characters come in two flavors. Uber Masculine neatheads like Goku or Jojo who always beat the bad guy by hammering him into a bloody pulp. Or weak, ineffectual, prone to wanking off over unconscious women, and crying all the time. They themselves are usually the ones getting hammered into a pulp. and neither shall there ever be balance between the two.

To answer the original post. Shinji doesn't deserve the hate. Nor do I think he is as hated as the OP makes him out to be. I think most people see him with Sympathy, and are more frustrated that the narrative around him doesn't allow him to succeed or BE a hero like those meatheads I mentioned. They're more frustrated that his character stagnates rather than moves forward.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Jersey Jimmy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jersey Jimmy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:59 pm

No, not at all. The way I see Shinji, and I'm sure a lot of others here do as well, is as a person who realistically reacts to the situation he's in like a normal person would. Not every protagonist has to be a Fearless Battle-Hardened Badass(TM).
"JEEZUS!" - John Zandig

I have a roleplaying blog for an interpretation of Rei in the Pokemon universe. Check it out here.

C.T.1290
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Well, I'm guessing that Shinji isn't really deserving of the hate. Not as much as some of the other characters.

Or myself even.
"Who dares to summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:16 am

We don't know you beyond what you write here - and I know well that we only expose a little of ourselves on forums such as this. So there's no justification for anyone to agree with you, if that's what you're looking for.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Why shouldn't a healthy young man be naked at home? (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

C.T.1290
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:18 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:We don't know you beyond what you write here - and I know well that we only expose a little of ourselves on forums such as this. So there's no justification for anyone to agree with you, if that's what you're looking for.

You don't have to agree with me. I'm just aware that not many people on likes me very much. Like what Gob Hoblin said to me, I was considered annoying, obstinate, and maybe just plain stupid and thick headed. He and the others seem to think that, and maybe you do as well if I'm not mistaken.
"Who dares to summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

Blockio
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:03 am

View Original PostJersey Jimmy wrote:No, not at all. The way I see Shinji, and I'm sure a lot of others here do as well, is as a person who realistically reacts to the situation he's in like a normal person would. Not every protagonist has to be a Fearless Battle-Hardened Badass(TM).

Exactly the reason I think he is one of the best protagonists I have seen in a long time. Sure, he is obnoxious and when I watched NGE for the first time, I wanted to hit him for every second sentence he said (but the second part goe for basically all characters on my first watch, so it evens out), but anything else simply wouldnt fit the show and what it stands for
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:46 am

@C.T.1290
I wouldn't care too much about what others think. If they are even thinking something.

Sure, he is obnoxious and when I watched NGE for the first time, I wanted to hit him for every second sentence he said (but the second part goe for basically all characters on my first watch, so it evens out)

I loved the characters from the first time I watched the show. I guess I'm just like them. I've never felt the frustration many people seem to feel.
I also wonder if it's a cultural thing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

neongenesisvandelay
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby neongenesisvandelay » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:42 am

In NGE, his actions were a result of Nerve 'forcing' him to pilot the Eva. When he screwed up or did something wrong, I felt sympathy towards his situation and conditions.

In the Rebuild films, it's a bit more of a gray area; he consciously made the choice to kickstart the Third Impact by saving Rei, so some of the anger is probably justified.
"You like Huey Lewis and the News?"

CommieOtaku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CommieOtaku » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:01 pm

I relate way too much with Shinji to be able to like him, but then again I relate quite a lot with all of them. In the end, they all have issues and by the end of the story they have their problem "solved", if that's what you want to call it. All of them develop and share their personal issues and it would be foolish of us to despise them just because we don't understand or possibly don't want to face our very own cruel reality...
Evangelion made me an otaku. I'm in my hell, all is right with this world!

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”