Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Bardiel
Bardiel

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars

Absolutely loved it! My 2nd most favorite ST movie after the first live action especially since it's written by the first film's screenwriter. Knowing now that Invasion was written by somebody else probably more than ever solidifies why I never really got into it. Casper Van Dien showing off his vocal chops as a more mature sounding Rico and Dina Meyer coming back as Dizzy in the most plot driven of ways (no spoilers :tongue: ) was nostalgic at it's very best.
Gundam Wing is the N-Sync of mecha anime. - NemZ

silvermoonlight
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars

Absolutely loved it! My 2nd most favorite ST movie after the first live action especially since it's written by the first film's screenwriter. Knowing now that Invasion was written by somebody else probably more than ever solidifies why I never really got into it. Casper Van Dien showing off his vocal chops as a more mature sounding Rico and Dina Meyer coming back as Dizzy in the most plot driven of ways (no spoilers :tongue: ) was nostalgic at it's very best.

I saw that not long back and I agree its really excellent, every one who liked Starship Troopers this ones well worth watching. ^_^

SPOILER: Show
Like everything was great and my only mini nit pick was the Sky Marshal Amy Snapp doing everything for popularity I just wished that they'd beefed that out with more like she wanted Mars resources hence why she wanted to destroy the planet as then they could mine them after it blew up. Oh yeah and I wish they'd had more of a conversation where Jonny goes Carl so you want to tell me why you posed as my dead girlfriend but made it serious and not about gay panic jokes. As it could have made for interesting long conversation if done really well and no I'm not implying Carls gay it's more it could have been an adult conversation between to comrades and how far people will go in war to get shit done as that was always one of the themes of the first movie that you do what ever it takes to kill bugs
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

AdamMalkobitch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkobitch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:06 pm

WALL-E. I forgot how damn good it is, it's no wonder I was obsessed with it for like two years when I was a kid. The final movie is a goddamn masterpiece, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see Trash Planet as it would've been made in 1994, complete with Gels in place of humans, and the spartacus-style robot revolution against them. On a side note, the PS2, PSP, and PC version of the video game adaptation are absolutely fantastic, and definitely my favorite licensed game of all time.
https://youtu.be/bicPHRcaDEc

AdamMalkobitch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkobitch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:35 am

Last night, I watched ARRIVAL for the first time, and my god, I should really stop judging movies before I see them. I remember seeing the theatrical poster and I was like, "oh, ANOTHER Hollywood sci fi movie, can't wait to watch more exploding aliens. Oh hey and this one's space ship is shaped like a banana, that's new", and while an alien DID explode at one point, I'm so glad I was wrong about this film. The twist came completely out of left field, but I can't wait to watch it again and see where they hinted at it. My only issue is that
SPOILER: Show
Louise still went through with the future she saw, despite knowing how everything went, and didn't even attempt to change anything. I read up on the short story it was based on, The Story of Your Life, and it further elaborated on the concept of free will and the butterfly effect, which I think would've been really cool to see be implemented into the movie, but I can see why they didn't. So much time was taken up by Louise and Ian talking to the Heptapods and teaching them, that there wasn't much time in the two hour space they were given to explore chaos theory and free will after the twist took place.
All in all, I'm really glad I watched this film, and I can't wait to see how it impacts how big budget science fiction movies are made from now on. Next I'm going to marathon the Jurassic Park series, and maybe I won't hate Jurassic World as much as I did the first time.
https://youtu.be/bicPHRcaDEc

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 am

Watched The Darkest Hour. The way Oldman pulled off Churchill feels like he's the real deal, a lot of chutzpah and anxiety in closed-door moments. Eminently quotable, found myself laughing and moved, and once it was over I rose from my chair and applauded. Damn awesome, it should be the bookend to Downfall/Der Untergang.

His outbursts is now one of my favorite scenes, a Churchill who once pursued painting as a means of de-stressing himself, pitted against a Hitler who was also a half-assed painter and was aiming to empty all the museums of the time for his own art museum in Linz.

whether it was, uh, part of my duty e-e-entering into... ...into negotiations with, um... ...that... ...that corporal... ...uh, that child. Monster of wickedness. That butcher. That savage. Monstrous savage. That wicked... Housepainter.

Housepainter!
Last edited by soul.assassin on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cybermat47
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 am

Godzilla VS King Ghidorah. Stupid cheesy fun, I love it.

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Damn awesome, it should be the bookend to Downfall/Der Untergang.

If you’re comparing it to that masterpiece, then I have to watch it!
My fanfics:
Evangelion 2.9: You Will (Not) Survive
Godzilla VS Evangelion: Who Will Know?

"I have to count my blessings, I have to learn my lessons, my fate is in the balance, I must go on believing!"
- Fate by Shirō Sagisu

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Did the movie address Churchill drug addiction?
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Did the movie address how Churchill fucked India up the ass during the Bengal famine?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:21 am

Did the movie address Churchill drug addiction?

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Did the movie address how Churchill fucked India up the ass during the Bengal famine?

No, and no. Of course the film is not without its critics, mostly coming from the left.

The film mainly concerns about the decision whether to surrender or fight on. Gallipoli was one of several of the known hot buttons which launches him into rage, as well as some of his earlier mistakes mentioned by his political opponents.

Full stop before this thread goes political.

Return to “Film and Video”