What would Evangelion be without Shinji?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: What would Evangelion be without Shinji?

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:43 am

Besides, none of the characters (Shinji included) work as 'centralized protagonists.' Shinji is this, because he happens to be the one we follow. Functionally, the show is an ensemble piece, and Shinji is more or less thrust into the role through no choice of his own. It was a role created for him by the actions of his mother and father, and he was left to pick up the pieces. And we can all see what a horrible fit that was for him (being a depressed and socially/emotionally damaged fourteen year old boy in desperate need of a hug).

We could follow a show with Asuka as the main protagonist, but, speaking as a massive Asuka fanboy...that would be a dull story. Well...not a dull story, but certainly not a fulfilling one. Asuka requires the kind of friction created by Shinji and Rei to develop as a character. She needs those conflicts. Further, she THINKS she's the protagonist of a story, but she is out of her depth, and it's not due to anything she did or failed to do. The actions her mother took were not enough to position her, and her Evangelion, in a place where they could make a huge impact on things (especially as they were cut out of the loop in terms of the cosmic conspiracy of Seele).

Rei would just be a dull character, simply because she also needed the other characters to prod and drive her character development. She is a reactive character in the beginning, existing because it's her purpose, and doing what she does because she is told. The interactions with Shinji, and Asuka, are the things that encourage her to take more agency over herself, sometimes with tragic results. Bear in mind these are not necessarily constructive interactions, either: recall the time she slapped Shinji when he said unkind things about his father. That was an action of agency she normally did not display, but she would not have displayed it if Shinji had not made a statement that compelled her sense of outrage enough to act on it.

Don't think of Shinji, Rei, and Asuka as separate protagonists, and which one would be better as a solo engine for a series: think of them as three characters who make a Super Protagonist, like three parts of a personality that work in kind and unison to form an individual. If one of them is removed, it feels incomplete.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Basisunterbeschuss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Basisunterbeschuss » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 pm

It would still be an anime with interesting characters, humanoid robots, Invasion of Angels, Nerv, Seele, Tokyo-3, Instrumentality and all those cool things.

C.T.1290
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:49 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Don't think of Shinji, Rei, and Asuka as separate protagonists, and which one would be better as a solo engine for a series: think of them as three characters who make a Super Protagonist, like three parts of a personality that work in kind and unison to form an individual. If one of them is removed, it feels incomplete.

Are you saying that those three are connected in some sense?
"Who dares to summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:29 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Are you saying that those three are connected in some sense?

If Lain and childhood analysis of shows taught me anything, it is that everyone is connected.
Could an Evangelion become Obese? - VUX

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 pm

everyone is connected

Their voices do sound in unison at the end of NGE 26.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:36 am

The...emphasis on the connection between the three Pilots is kind of a cornerstone of Evangelion. Their failures to connect are what usually lead to their defeats.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

ReiIsTopTierWaifu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ReiIsTopTierWaifu » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Actually there is a cut sequence from Eoe which showed a world without Shinji, it's live action and is 11:17 minutes long, to sum it up Asuka dates Toji, she doesn't feel any connection between them, and her (best) friend is Rei in that world, who seems more open, and there are no angels, at least from what it shows in the scene, so I guess the only world without Shinji is a world without Angels, Adam, Lilith, Nerv, and seele
Rei is the most beautiful cupcake in all of anime, I wish I could unwrap her and eat her, indulging in her perfect white cream

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”