What is "Tabris"?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

fukuda
Embryo

What is "Tabris"?

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm

So, Tabris is the name of Kaworu, and is in Arabic.
In Arabic, "Tabris" means "The Revealed/Arisen".
From various sources, "Tabris" apparently is an "Angel of Free Will".
"Tabris", does not exist, as far as I am concerned, in Islam or standard Judaism/Christianity. I find this to be odd because Tabris is an Arabic name, but there is no mention of it at all in Islam or any Muslim Texts.

There is, however, a "Tabriz", in Iran.
And according to Judaism and Christianity, Satan was a "Fallen Angel", contrary to Islamic Belief, who believe him to be of the Jinn species.
And again, according to Islam, the "Dajjal", or "Anti-Christ", shall arise out of Esfahan, Iran
Is it possible that any outside of Evangelion, Tabris may simply be another name for Anti-Christ?
Sie wenden eine List an,
Und Ich wende eine List an.
So lasse den Ungläubigen noch Zeit; lasse ihnen nur eine Weile Zeit.

Berserkelion
Embryo

Re: What is "Tabris"?

•      
  •      

Postby Berserkelion » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Quite interesting, but I honestly don't know. Wikipedia and Google Books doesn't have a lot of information regarding Nuctemeron or NGE Kabballistic Angels, sigh.

Do you have some source for your interesting statements? Also: do you know the correct Arabic for Tabris? The name of the "homonimous" Iranian city (you know, Tabriz) seems to differ in some way, but I didn't find anything.
In order to make myself recognized by the Other, I must risk my own life. To risk one's life, in fact, is to reveal oneself as not-bound to the objective form or to any determined existence — as not-bound to life (Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness)
"Despair is a Sickness in the Spirit, in the Self, and So It May Assume a Triple Form: in Despair at Not Being Conscious of Having a Self (Despair Improperly So Called); in Despair at Not Willing to Be Oneself; in Despair at Willing to Be Oneself" (Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death)
" As one's ignorance disappears when he gains knowledge, and as darkness disappears when light appears, so also incompleteness is eliminated by completeness" (The Gospel of Truth)

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”