Why does Kaworu have a different voice in the DC?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Why does Kaworu have a different voice in the DC?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:52 am

In the original episode where he was introduced, he was voiced by the guy who played as Lelouch from Code Geass (I think). But in the director's cut, he was voiced by someone who made him sound younger.

What gives? What was the reason for that?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Why does Kaworu have a different voice in the DC?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 am

The Director's Cut episodes were dubbed at a much later point, so not all of the actors are the same.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:02 am

This must be in the English dub, because I can't remember any vocal inconsistencies in the Japanese dub. I think Toji changes 3 times in the English version, and Gendo was also replaced.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:30 am

The English dub is very inconsistent.

http://evamonkey.com/voices.html

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Since I'm a fan of the dub, I'll give the best explanation I can (as far as I've gathered, and my memory could be foggy somewhere, so please feel free to correct me):

In 1996/7, ADV dubbed the original Evangelion TV series. For whatever reason, they chose not to dub the Director's Cut/NPC versions of episodes 21-24.

In 2003/4, ADV dubbed the Director's Cut/NPC versions of episodes 21-24. Since these included brand new scenes, it was decided to (generally, anyhow) redub the entire episodes. Certain actors had left or retired at this point, so their characters would have to be completely redubbed in order to maintain a sense of vocal consistency.* So, Vic Mignogna took over Jason Lee's role as Aoba, Monica Rial replaced Kendra Benham as Maya, John Swasey played Gendo after Tristan McAvery left ADV, and Greg Ayres voiced Kaworu instead of Kyle Sturdivant.

What's a bit weird about this is that some episodes (like 22) were completely redubbed, while others only redubbed whatever characters appeared in the NPC scenes and had changed actors. Episode 24 was a case of the latter, since I remember Kaworu's and the other re-cast characters' lines being redubbed, but everyone's stayed the same. (As a comparison, while Allison Keith would come back to voice Misato for the NPC scenes she's in, every other scene uses her original deliveries back from '97.)

*Oddly enough, this was also enforced with Episodes 25 and 26, even though they didn't have new scenes. So the aforementioned replacements (Mignogna, Rial, Swasey) redubbed their characters' lines in those episodes, for whatever reason. The dub of Evangelion has a weird and confusing history.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:07 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:In 1996/7, ADV dubbed the original Evangelion TV series. For whatever reason, they chose not to dub the Director's Cut/NPC versions of episodes 21-24.

Simple. They didn't have them.

*Oddly enough, this was also enforced with Episodes 25 and 26, even though they didn't have new scenes. So the aforementioned replacements (Mignogna, Rial, Swasey) redubbed their characters' lines in those episodes, for whatever reason.

Actually that was quite sensible, as it means that viewers only got one change of voices instead of two if they follow those versions. But they kept only the original dub for the Platinum edition (they don't duplicate those episodes in that).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”