[Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: [Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 am

If your standard of adapted includes stuff like Frozen, then nothing produced by Hollywood is original.

Of course, that’s pretty much accurate. The movie industry has no ideas and loves shitting all over writers and pretending they’re irrelevant because they’re crippled without them.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:16 am

I didn't mean original in terms of plot. I meant original in terms of not being based on a pre-existing work of fiction or intellectual property.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:43 pm

Let's say that Avatar bears a lot of similarities to Poul Anderson's 1957 short story Call Me Joe.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:54 pm

Terms like "Original Intellectual Property" might be sufficient, though that only deals with copyrighted materials, but adaptations of public domain folk tales.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:18 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Let's say that Avatar bears a lot of similarities to Poul Anderson's 1957 short story Call Me Joe.

Don't you mean it's a ripoff of Pocahontas but in space with blue aliens?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Read "The Color Of Distance" by Amy Thomson.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Dances with Wolves, yo.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 pm

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/tom-h ... 202676746/

Tom Hanks to play Mister Rogers; millions of adults to weep publicly in movie theaters.
the prophecy is true

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Dances with Wolves, yo.

Ferngully, yo.

Tom Hanks to play Mister Rogers; millions of adults to weep publicly in movie theaters.

It's really sad when I think I might be part of the last generation that grew up watching him as a child.

Do Gen Zers even know who Mister Rogers was beyond a cultural reference?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 pm

They probably have a distorted view of him from cynical adults lumping him in with participation trophies.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Ryan Reynolds' 'Detective Pikachu' Adds Bill Nighy, Chris Geere

I'm fairly hyped for this movie, Detective Pikachu is one of the best Pokémon spin off ever.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Going through the comments, it would appear this is a fan trailer.
Voluntary Illusion.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:33 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Going through the comments, it would appear this is a fan trailer.

I wasn't aware of this and this is really annoying as it was in official trailer search. :irked:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:18 pm

http://deadline.com/2018/02/amazon-deve ... 202278547/

Conan the Barbarian TV Series In Works At Amazon From Ryan Condal, Miguel Sapochnik & Warren Littlefield

I'm happy for this, but I have some worries. The source material is not really. aligned with modern sensitivities. Conan was made in the 1930's after all, and Howard was Pen pals with notorious racist HP Lovecraft.

Its hard to do "Brave muscular man rescues blonde virgin sacrifice from not!Africans and not!Arabians" in 2018 without some outrage. Look at what happened to the internet when Daenyrys rescued the people of Mareen from the Slavers.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 pm

The best Conan stories don't touch on that much.

Howard was much less racist than Lovecraft. He had a different kind of (still racist) outlook that was weirdly sensitive towards people of color and he wrote about multiple empowered women characters. Howard's own Conan work is often lumped in with other authors who continued the character after his death, some with more success than others.

Game of Thrones by contrast is actually more racially charged than the books. One example: The book turned a super pale member of a pale race/ethnicity of people who is effeminate and interested in boys in the books and, in the show, turned that character into a thug stereotype who lusts after a white woman, has empty pretensions of wealth, and is portrayed by a black actor.

Martin himself recognizes that white savior-ness of Daenerys. I don't have the quote on hand but he talked once about how he wanted the Valyrians to be different from everyone else and he missed an opportunity by, rather than make them super-duper white, making them, you know, black. A extinct superkingdom of black dragonriders who ruled the world would have been pretty cool, but hey whatareyagonnado.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:00 pm

You could do what say. Peter Jackson did with the natives in his King Kong Reboot or what Craig Zahler did for the Cannibal Native Americans in Bone Tomahawk. Make the "Savage Natives" so exaggerated, so over the top, and so utterly unlike any real race of existing human being that you can get away with otherwise playing the material straight.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Hyper-savages wouldn't fit with the Howard ethos at all. Howard didn't see 'savages' or barbarians as inferior or unevolved, he saw them as purer than and superior to effete civilized moderns. The archvillains of the lost Hyborian age were skinny civilized sorcerers.
the prophecy is true

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:34 pm

I saw the Ready Player One trailer before Black Panther last night and I'm very excited for this movie. I don't care if it's good or it follows a by the numbers hero's journy story, I want to see a big battle with hordes of pop culture and video game characters.
the prophecy is true

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I saw the Ready Player One trailer before Black Panther last night and I'm very excited for this movie. I don't care if it's good or it follows a by the numbers hero's journy story, I want to see a big battle with hordes of pop culture and video game characters.

The book actually contains one of the few instances in Western media that Evangelion is name-dropped, specifically in the final climactic battle sequence where the bad guys use one of the Evangelion units. One wonders if this will show up in the film. There is going to be a Gundam in it, after all.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Film and Video”