Musical Prodigies, Show Yourselves!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:42 am

There are very few recordings of me playing, probably fortunately - though I've had my moments, like the time I got the highest mark in any class in a music festival back in 1963 playing Grieg's To The Spring. There is even a recording of me made in 1968 playing a historic harpsichord (music by Byrd, Gibbons, Purcell, Haydn, Beethoven!) in the National Sound Archive of the British Library - but I don't have a copy to share with you (in fact, I've never heard it!).

Here are two recent recordings I made to illustrate a talk on organs: A Bach chorale prelude: Bach, BWV 961, and the first movement of an Organ Mass by Couperin: Couperin, Kyrie I; each played on a sample set of an appropriate historic organ.

I also have a sample-based chamber organ I made, using samples from a baroque Czech organ, which you can hear in this recording of the Agnus Dei from a mass by Vierne for choir and two organs. My chamber organ is playing with the choir, and the big organ at the West end plays in between; I am singing bass.

You can also buy some music by Haydn edited by me (the publisher has my name wrong on the web site). Also several CDs recorded and mastered by me: e.g. this one and this one. And this cd has one track recorded live by me - the last time Earle Brown conducted in Europe before his death.

I had an embarrassment a couple of years ago when I accepted an invitation to sing a concert (for money) in a choir with a prestigious instrumental group. I didn't realise until I turned up on the day for rehearsal that it was one voice per part - the whole concert, including Vivaldi's Gloria. I was shitting myself, but actually it went OK. Here is a recording I edited together from a bootleg I made of the rehearsal: Monteverdi - Beatus vir II.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Zap threw this together for the SM Crystal thread. I really liked how it came out so I figured it deserves a crosspost:

View Original PostZapX wrote:Screw waiting for this new anime to come out. Look, I improvised a new BGM piece in 30 seconds. We can make our own anime.

http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/42145701/file.html
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Mon May 05, 2014 12:20 am

I have played the saxophone for around 6 years now (Alto, Tenor and a bit of Baritone), either in Jazz bands or if anyone needs one for a rock or blues band. Last year I started to build up a collection of harmonicas that have become extremely useful in blues and folk. I am currently teaching myself guitar (it might not sound like music yet, but I think I am getting the hang of it).
Nothing good has been recorded yet, but I am currently working on a piece for a few upcoming Jazz festivals that goes a little something like this:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY[/url]
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:48 am

I played the piano part for Dvorak's Bagatelles Op.47 and Vivaldi's Concerto for Four Violins Violins at a chamber music workshop last summer and there's apparently a recording of that on some CD somewhere, but it's not online and my copy didn't arrive in the mail despite me shelling out $50 for it.

I've also started uploading stuff to Youtube, but I've been fairly busy as of late so all I have at the moment is a grand total of three videos. Two of those are fairly good piano covers (one is Caroling by Eluvium and the other is Lights in the Sky by Nine Inch Nails) and the last is a guitar cover with fairly good vocals but such poor actual guitar playing I'll probably take it down once I have something better.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Here's the concert that I was involved with at the weekend. Light summery music - folksong settings by John Rutter, and jazzy settings of Shakespeare by George Shearing.

[url]http://cassland.org/Thyme.html[/url]

My part in the proceedings is to get the scores, typeset instrumental parts, write the program, sing bass, record...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 pm

My mom's friend wanted some recordings but she's not really into Classical music. I haven't practiced much the last few months so I thought I'd play-along with some Jamey Aebersold. Work was slow today (can't record anything when wife is around, she makes too much noise) so I decided to start with something easy, Watermelon Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWwUbzE3uxY

Was surprisingly painless to record. Will probably try something more challenging the next time I have a slow work day.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:48 am

For someone who otherwise isn't all that great musically (can't do sheet music, notes or even timing very well), I'm surprisingly good at the piano. Been teaching myself to play numerous tunes at a very basic level by ear to the point where I can redo some tunes quite nicely including:

-Cruel Angel's Thesis
-The saxophone piece from Bebop's Space Lion
-Thanatos ~ If I Can't Be Yours
-Turnabout Sisters - Original and Ballad (Ace Attorney)
-Canon in D/Komm Susser Tod
-Star Light Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 1)

Might do a medley at some point, but the point is I've managed to get a pretty jazzy style into my music skills and recently, I decided to start making tracks of my own. I've only managed to come up with two songs at this point via Ableton Live 7 (which I swear is far more broken than Movie Maker Live; it's that unbearable!) so I apologize if it sounds a bit rubbish. (And I'm well aware that I can't think up good names either!)

Track 1 - Dramatic Depression: https://soundcloud.com/frdougal9000/dramatic-depression?in=frdougal9000/sets/jim-mcgraths-original

Track 2 - A Beat to be Feared: https://soundcloud.com/frdougal9000/a-beat-to-be-feared?in=frdougal9000/sets/jim-mcgraths-original
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm

And I'm nothing like you

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:38 am

Made another one, Zap suggested Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder", which is a classic, but it took a while to fine a play-along for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEKMz7Qk-3c

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:47 am

Made this for a friend's birthday:

NIN- 36 Ghosts IV

And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Musical Prodigies, Show Yourselves!

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Before my retirement I had barely played the piano for over fifteen years, and not much for the five years before that. Over such a time, at my age, one really does lose most of the facility one might have had. Since retirement a year ago I have been working very regularly at trying to get some keyboard facility back, but it's a slow and frustrating task. Yesterday I recorded a few pieces, and had the usual experience of thinking how bad it all was - still, it's useful to have pointers to what I need to concentrate on improving...

I'm prepared to let you hear a couple of pieces, warts and all...

Komm, süßer Tod
No, not that one; I've told the story of how I was searching for recordings of this chorale melody by Bach and stumbled on the song from EoE, and how that led to my interest in that and subsequently other anime. This is the piece I was searching for - Bach only wrote the melody and figured bass, and this realisation in pianistic style is by Frank Bridge, Benjamin Britten's teacher.
(score)

Love theme from the game Enemy Zero, written by Michael Nyman
An unlikely composer for a Japanese game - and he took a lot of persuading to do it, apparently.
(score)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Musical Prodigies, Show Yourselves!

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 am

Well, my playing remains somewhat lumpy and uneven, but I do what I can - I'm resigned to it I suppose, though I'm still working on it!

Anyway, here's my latest offering. Ritsuko Okazaki wrote the OP and ED for Fruits Basket; at the same time she released her last album (she died young) Life is lovely which contained the song Serenade. The writers of the Fruits Basket soundtrack made a two-piano arrangement of Serenade which was used just once in the anime, as a substitute ED to episode 25 - the music starts as Tōru becomes determined to return to Kyō, who's in his monstrous "true" form, and continues under the bare credits. This is my version for one piano:

Ritsuko Okazaki - Serenade

(Score)

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”