Grave markers at the end of EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

AdamMalkobitch
Lilith

Grave markers at the end of EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkobitch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:12 pm

I've read online that in the original scripts, Shinji was to set up grave markers for those who had died before Instrumentality, including Asuka, and that she would kick hers down upon returning to human form. Supposedly, you can still see these markers in the final film, but I've never seen any ones but Misato's, which was just a broken telephone pole with her pendant nailed to it. Where on earth are the rest of these markers?!
https://youtu.be/bicPHRcaDEc

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Re: Grave markers at the end of EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:37 pm

One quick Google image search for "evangelion gravemarkers" later:

I really hope, for the sake of municipal safety, that you've never encountered a telephone pole that's only slightly wider than Misato's pendant. :nyao:

zlink64
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm

I wonder if he actually expected people to figure that out. Seems so vague. Anno has high standards for his audience.
hmmm

Cybermat47
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:11 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:I wonder if he actually expected people to figure that out. Seems so vague. Anno has high standards for his audience.

To be fair, the visuals are similar to photos of WWI and WWII battlefield gravemarkers, and there’s a plethora of military references in Eva.

My fanfics:
Evangelion 2.9: You Will (Not) Survive
Godzilla VS Evangelion: Who Will Know?

"I have to count my blessings, I have to learn my lessons, my fate is in the balance, I must go on believing!"
- Fate by Shirō Sagisu

AdamMalkobitch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkobitch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm an idiot. That shot is so iconic, and yet I always thought they were more destroyed telephone poles.
https://youtu.be/bicPHRcaDEc

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Those can't be grave markers, there was nobody to set them up. They are there before Shinji and Asuka wake up and they're the first ones to wake up. It could be leftover design, but that leftover design can't really be thought of as what it was originally. In the end, they're just telephone poles or whatever.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:34 pm

Shinji was there before Asuka, long enough to set up the markers. That's why one of them has Misato's cross on it (which she gave him); which is enough to tell us he did it. Some people argue that the sign of corrosion on the cross (presumably from the nail) says that Shinji has been alone for weeks by the time Asuka arrives.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Sad, sad Shinji... (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:that leftover design can't really be thought of as what it was originally

So they're carefully arranged pieces of wood, one of which has Misato's cross nailed to it, and one of which is kicked over, and for some reason they can't be the gravemarkers specified in the final version of the script because there is a much better Watsonian explanation on hand for what they're doing there?

In the end, they're just telephone poles or whatever.

They're charred pieces of wood barely wider than Misato's cross. We can safely rule out the "telephone pole" part, methinks.

C.T.1290
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:05 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Shinji was there before Asuka, long enough to set up the markers. That's why one of them has Misato's cross on it (which she gave him); which is enough to tell us he did it. Some people argue that the sign of corrosion on the cross (presumably from the nail) says that Shinji has been alone for weeks by the time Asuka arrives.

But I thought Asuka was the one who back before Shinji, and she was the one who kicked down her grave marker.
"Who dares to summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 pm

How do you work that out? If Asuka was back first, who had set up the grave marker for her to kick down?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Sad, sad Shinji... (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 am

View Original PostBryan wrote:In the end, they're just telephone poles or whatever.
When I saw that scene for the first time, I saw them as charred timbers from house construction that had been scattered like straws by all the catastrophic events we'd seen unfold. Shinji pinning up Misato's cross just looked like making use of something found in place.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”