[RUMOR] September being considered for release? (Grain of salt)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

[RUMOR] September being considered for release? (Grain of salt)

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 am

Take it with a grain of salt, yadda yadda.

I don't wanna cause false hype.
I explain it here:
http://kuribo4indahouse.tumblr.com/post ... a-overhype

I can give more detailed translations if you want.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: September being considered for release? (Grain of salt)

Postby hui43210 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:13 am

He expects it in 2019, and I would as well. September seems like a really quick turnaround for an animation project of this size, and I expect the marketing campaign to kick into high gear long before release. Seems a little quite for it to be only 8 months away.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 am

Yeah, I see your point.
But then something like 2.0 was apparently made in a year and a half. By the end of this year it will have been 2 and a half years since Shin Godzilla.
I'm also pretty sure Anno went into this project knowing what he wanted to do (even back in 2013 he was working on a script).

Is my impatience apparent or what?
(I'm not the type of person to be angry because they take their time, I have massive respect for what they do, just really wanna see this movie lol).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 am

It will not be released in 2018. I'm 99.9% certain of it.

Remember that our first teaser for 3.0 (Asuka in SPACE!) came in August of 2011, more than a year before the eventual release date. The international title was released January 1st of 2012, and I think that was when the fall release date was announced.

At this point we don't have a formal teaser (that is, if you don't count UYCTM) and we don't have an international title.

I think the best time to look forward to news will be April 1st, which was the date that Shin Godzilla was announced and is apparently also the start of the fiscal cycle in Japan.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:24 am

I agree with the April 1st thing (and it would be hilarious because people will think it's an April's Fool joke like with Godzilla).

I don't know if we should look at marketing for previous entries though. I feel like that is a case by case thing.
Also, while we don't have the international title, we do have a poster. That's something.

Also this movie has like 4 titles by now lol. I think Shin Eva is the more important one to them.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:33 pm

This Spanish youtuber (guy lives in Japan) just gave it a try and asked for the Eva release in the official Store. After laughing the employee said august/september is being considered. But that it could be later too. The employee said he expects it 2019.

I can guarantee you that an Evangelion store employee does not have access to privileged information like that. If the person working the counter gave an expected release date, one that is not already public knowledge, they were talking out their ass.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: [RUMOR] September being considered for release? (Grain of salt)

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:44 pm

That was my gut reaction too. Because the internet has taught me to not believe anything.

However I was a trainee last year at a pharmaceutical company, my only job being to send whatever drugs were ordered to the ordering drug stores.
And I knew exactly what new top secret medicines that no competitor should know about would release the year after and what their secondary effects were or could be.

So there's that. Also if marketing were to start soon, merchandising included, I don't know why EvaStore employess wouldn't know.

This is obviously unconfirmed information, I have no reason to think it's untrue though.
I'm like 100% sure the guy on YouTube isn't lying. Who knows about the store guy. But it could be. Time will tell (hopefully soon).

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:41 pm

If Khara doesn’t announce it the news is nonsense.
An employee at a merchandise store would know nothing and even if they did - they don’t - his releasing of such important news before the official announcement date would be a cause for immediate firing.
As for the YouTuber it got people somewhere talking about his stuff.

Until the Official Khara &/or official Evangelion websites give a date anything you hear online is 100% made up.

One month later we’ll go through this whole nonsense again when an obscure evangelion fansite, some dude on reddit or some inane you tuber posts a release date with zero verification. And a month after that. And so on until an official release date is given by the filmmakers.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:59 pm

∆ We'll see is all I'll add to that.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:37 am

Guy Nacks wrote:It will not be released in 2018. I'm 99.9% certain of it.

Remember that our first teaser for 3.0 (Asuka in SPACE!) came in August of 2011, more than a year before the eventual release date. The international title was released January 1st of 2012, and I think that was when the fall release date was announced.

At this point we don't have a formal teaser (that is, if you don't count UYCTM) and we don't have an international title.

I think the best time to look forward to news will be April 1st, which was the date that Shin Godzilla was announced and is apparently also the start of the fiscal cycle in Japan.

I don't think 3.0 is an indication of how long they'll hype the movie.

Original plan for the movies was to release them closely to each other, one movie would have simply hyped the other thanks to the preview and the short wait, and even if the production time kept on getting longer and longer there were still constant releases for four consecutive years:

2007: 1.0 theatrical release
2008: 1.01 home video release
2009: 2.0 theatrical release
2010: 2.22 home video release

Then 2011 come and khara clearly had nothing to release, but they still wanted to keep the fanbase engaged so the space scene was showed.
And let's be frank, the teaser was a hot mess. Unit 02's 3DCG model was unpolished, alpha effects were missing, color correction was absent, the Moon was a placeholder model. Even on this forum the lack of quality was noted.
I'm 100% sure that Anno released it to the public only because they wanted to show something in 2011, he's too much of a special effect nerd to not know how terrible that was.

The real marketing push for 3.0 started on New Year's Eve and real footage from the movie came much later in the year, if I remember correctly mid July together with the release date announcement.

Now the situation is much different. 3.0 came out 6 calendars years ago and people are really tired of waiting, both here in the west and in Japan too. I sometimes look at the responses khara get on Twitter and they are what one would expect: "please work on the movie" "please tell us something" "I wonder if I'll die before seeing the movie" etc.

Would be beneficial for khara to show footage and still not tell us when the movie is coming out? I highly doubt it, the backlash will be something to remember, and let's not even talk about announcing a release window just to delay the movie a few months later.

I'm fairly sure that this time we'll get news only when khara is 100% sure of hitting their internal release date, not a single day before.

I have the feeling khara will simply put a "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 [SUBTITLE] - out on xx/xx/xx" and a 30 seconds teaser on their social pages 6-8 months before the movie comes out. Then the real hype machine will start, but the real marketing push will be the sheer amount of anticipation fans have for the movie.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 am

You did a good breakdown.

That's also why I think the movie can come out this year. They'll wait for an actual release date.

And lol at the people on twitter losing their mind. But sort of relatable too.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 am

I feel like we're done here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”