Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:
SPOILER: Show
The claw-ish thingy on the front always made me think it was supposed to grip things and push them around. I don't now if it makes sense for a space forklift to have interstellar flight capability, though. Pushing cargo in space probably makes more sense than pulling it, I suppose. Easier to maneuver it, right?

In the Legends category, the YT-1300 (which is the stock version of the Millennium Falcon), it does not have the wedge thing like the toy. Obviously Disney is doing a remodel to show off, or its a modification Lando added that was removed.
Reference  SPOILER: Show
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Normally I wouldn't bother posting something like this, but it points out there are a lot of missing scenes from the trailer that are absent from the movie. Is there any chance we'll ever see them?

The trailers featured footage which was ultimately re-shot/re-done during the reshoots. There's also a fair amount of Rogue One merchandise which reflects the film prior to the reshoots, for instance Pop Vinyl figures of Forest Whitaker without hair (as he appears in the trailers) and a Lego set which depicts Jyn Erso and others fighting on the beach (IIRC also shown in the trailers, but not in the final film).

AFAIK none of the cut scenes were included on the Rogue One DVD/Blu-Ray release. The most I can find is a video which compiles the scenes from the trailers which don't appear in the final film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tAJhH2_uZE

I am interested in seeing the original cut of Rogue One someday, though with the way things in this franchise are going, I feel like the likelihood of an original cut release is approximately three thousand seven hundred and twenty to one.
Be very, very quiet - I'm back.

DarkBluePhoenix
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 am

Never tell me the odds!
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

I finally saw Last Jedi and. . . . I honestly don't get the hate.

Full thoughts once I've had some time to think about it. But for the moment? I think it's a good movie.

Perfect? No. It runs a bit too long, suffers from LOTR-level 'multiple endings' syndrome, Has waaaaaaay too many plotpoints to follow, the slapstick comedy came within a hairs width of causing tonal dissonance, not enough R2D2.

But through it all.
I'm glad that they sent Luke Skywalker out on the highest possible note they possibly could have,
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:04 am

After having the droids gratuitously shoved in our faces during the prequel era I'm glad they have cameo roles only.

I get the whole thing of the two droids being involved in everything and why they're there and how they were inspired by Japanese theatre but the prequels just made them feel so forced that any further additions to the series have to address that.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

::KL7::
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I finally saw Last Jedi and. . . . I honestly don't get the hate.

Full thoughts once I've had some time to think about it. But for the moment? I think it's a good movie.

Pretty much everyone's thoughts on the movie.

ORA ORA ORA!!!!

silvermoonlight
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:Pretty much everyone's thoughts on the movie.

I agree with the captain plasma one because that feels like pure tokenism like look what we did we gave you all your first female storm trooper but we are not bothered with her character because we want to sell toys and merchandise while patting ourselves on the back and oh dear we just killed her off, because we couldn't be bothered with doing any more character development on her. I mean they don't even go in to how to she got out the trash comparator....yes I know there's a comic that shows it but I shouldn't have to read it to find out because the movie failed to fill the gap.

Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:17 pm

It truly couldn't matter less how Phasma got out of the compactor. For them to even spend thirty seconds of screen time to try to explain this would be a crime. Nobody needs an explanation for what happened to Vader after he went spinning into space at the end of A New Hope, alone in a tie fighter (which has established precedence in the film for not being able to survive out in space alone).
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 am

I had to watch it a second time to fully appreciate the movie; lord it was a mistake to go to the premiere and have people all around talk in "coolz meme-talk11!" (it sounds extremely ridiculous in Greek, let me tell you) and couldn't listen half the time what the heck was being said.

Having watched it a second time, I liked it; sure, I didn't walk out feeling the absolute "wow"-sentiment I felt with Rogue One for example, but it was quite good. I've got to admit, Adam Driver made half the movie for me- man, the guy can act! Sure I can nitpick here and there, but overall it was a pretty enjoyable movie. Got goosebumps after the (in)famous Red Room scene and what went down from there. Luke is still the real boss.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

kuribo-04
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:00 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Ultimately, these Disney Star Wars movies still feel off-genre for me. I think that's my biggest issue with these things. Original Star Wars was, at its core, a series of fantasy movies.

I think this is because of a sense of childish wonder that was in the originals. I'd say each director of the newer films has felt like it was time to make more "adult" Star Wars. Since imitating what those films were is probably hard as hell.
I don't think this is bad though. The sequel trilogy in general is kind of a harsh reality, in which the rebel victory was "for nothing" and the og cast is going through a lot of crap. Kylo also feels more real in his anger than any character before in Star Wars.
So I think it's kinda fitting that they feel less like fantasy.
I have to wonder if this was JJ's intention (I mean, he did introduce Kylo), R. Johnson seems to have done this very conciously.

I'm personally enjoying the new movies a lot. TFA is a movie I would have done very differently, I still love it though, and it gave us Kylo Ren, who is by now one of my favourite Star Wars characters.
Rogue One, I dunno. I enjoy it for what it is.
Last Jedi I loved. Some imperfections, and honestly, if you're gonna subvert some expectations, go all the way man. I think it could have been more challenging and interesting than it is, but I'm very happy with what we got.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Film and Video”