Strangling!!!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 pm

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:And there was one in EoE when the UN attacked Nerv where one of the Nerv guards got killed because one of the soldiers did a "strangling" motion to him.

What?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Sachi_13 wrote:
BEsERk EVA01 wrote:And there was one in EoE when the UN attacked Nerv where one of the Nerv guards got killed because one of the soldiers did a "strangling" motion to him.

What?

The UN just started to invade Nerv. There is one Nerv guard at the entrance. He gets killed because one UN soldier did a strangling motion to him. He then died probably because the soldier cracked his neck.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 20, 2008 9:40 pm

The soldier covered his mouth so he wouldn't scream, and stabbed him in the back.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed May 21, 2008 1:10 am

There is also the Naoko strangling scene, with mini-Rei
I think someone did a comparison of Unit 01 and Bardiel vs. Shinji and Asuka in EoE, and the positions are somewhat similar, though I guess there arent that many possible positions you could strangle someone in

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Heh, as soon as I saw the thread title I went "uh-oh."

Darn A/S and their Erotic Asphyxiation! :tongue:

EvaYojimbo: I've been meaning to ask you: how do you figure this stuff out?! Teach me your ways, oh master! Anyway, you're dead-on with the stuffs about hands and such. Your observations also fit in nicely with Rei's "What are your hands for?" comment when 3I is starting.

Anyway, my attempt at keeping count of the stranglings:

~Naoko with Rei 1
~Kyoko and one of the "Asuka" dolls in the hospital
~Kyoko hanging herself with another Asuka doll (does this count as strangling though?? Maybe not...)
~Bardiel to Eva-01
~Nerv Guard in EoE
~Shinji in the metaphysical kitchen lol 3I starting
~Shinji choking his Asuka in Reality
~Shinji choking his other Asuka ;)

Manga:

~Naoko with Rei 1
~Ritsuko with Rei 2 >_<
~Asuka to Shinji in the hospital (Kill that fake Shinji bastard, Manga-Asuka! He deserves it!)
~Though it hasn't happened yet: Shinji strangling Asuka; either in Instrumentality, Reality or whatever else remains yet to be seen.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Wed May 21, 2008 7:46 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Heh, as soon as I saw the thread title I went "uh-oh."

Yep, I knew that'd get some attention. I do think there was at one point in the Bardiel fight, mutual strangulation going on between Bardiel and Eva 01. Probably the only time in the series that that occurs.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu May 22, 2008 12:03 am

I dont quite know if the NERV guard counts- its more like his mouth was held shut

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri May 23, 2008 2:59 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:EvaYojimbo: I've been meaning to ask you: how do you figure this stuff out?! Teach me your ways, oh master! Anyway, you're dead-on with the stuffs about hands and such. Your observations also fit in nicely with Rei's "What are your hands for?" comment when 3I is starting.
Hehe, uhhhh... :blush: :chinscratch: :shrug:

Years of watching and analyzing films, maybe? I give major credit to Shin-Seiki or whoever discovered and posted the screen-caps of the various hand scenes the first time, because that was the biggest puzzle piece. From there it was just a matter of figuring out what the 3 had in common and how/why it was being used in that context. In film the old concept of associative editing and montage developed by Sergei Eisenstein is still relevant to many directors. The idea is that you can use the juxtaposition of scenes and images that, separately mean one thing, but that when you put them together mean another. It's just a matter of figuring out what the metaphor is for.

NGE can be difficult in the sense that it often doesn't stress these things. Shinji with blood on his hands in ep. 1 is very innocuous on first viewing - and perhaps for many subsequent viewings. But if one makes the blood/LCL connection then that's one piece of the puzzle. Same thing with connecting the sexuality/growing up theme with Shinji masturbating over Asuka. Finally, you put it and the ep. 1 scene together and you get even more meaning. Put them and Shinji's clenching/unclenching hands together you get another meaning.

I think the core of it boils down to "life and death are in our hands, our actions. They're choices." I think the benefit of doing it THIS way is that verbalizing it is a bit too... simplistic and sentimental for a series of such complex emotions and ideas. So when you do it through images you get the sense, the aesthetic if you will, of the idea more than the intellectual verbalization. So Anno is in effect doing what all great artists do and expressing a feeling through a medium rather than through words.

There's a famous quote when someone asked a painter what one of his paintings meant and he said "If I could've explained it, I wouldn't have needed to paint it". I think most great art works in that sense. It can take ideas, feeling, emotions and rather than verbalizing them it tries to express them through a medium so someone else feels that rather than simply understands it in external terms.

Sorry for the ramble.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Fri May 23, 2008 7:12 am

Erotic Asphyxiation anyone? Anyone? damn....
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Kyoko Sano
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kyoko Sano » Sat May 24, 2008 9:52 am

soljerameelguy wrote:Erotic Asphyxiation anyone? Anyone? damn....

Ooo! Kinky!
You are Mine, Only Mine. ~ Kyoko Sano
Goddess For Dessert
EAT ME!!!

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Sat May 24, 2008 7:55 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I think the core of it boils down to "life and death are in our hands, our actions. They're choices." I think the benefit of doing it THIS way is that verbalizing it is a bit too...
Sorry for the ramble.

Snaps to Yojimbo, that's some good stuff. I think this also ties into the pumping motion Shinji makes with his hands, and Rei's question to Shinji in EoE, "What is your hand for", in both cases related to action and change.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Great post Eva! :clap:
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

SpaceBoy2018
Embryo

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby SpaceBoy2018 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:And in the manga, again, Asuka strangling Shinji in the hospital scene, plus Ritsuko strangling Rei.

Which chapter is the Asuka strangling Shinji Hospital Scene please?

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Strangling!!!

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Soljer13 wrote:(...)Erotic Asphyxiation anyone? Anyone? damn....

This sexual practice is called asphyxiophilia, autoerotic asphyxia, hypoxyphilia. The term autoerotic asphyxiation is used when the act is done by a person to themselves. Colloquially, a person engaging in the activity is sometimes called a gasper.

Sailor Star Dust wrote: Manga:

~Naoko with Rei 1
~Ritsuko with Rei 2 >_<
~Asuka to Shinji in the hospital (Kill that fake Shinji bastard, Manga-Asuka! He deserves it!)
~Though it hasn't happened yet: Shinji strangling Asuka; either in Instrumentality, Reality or whatever else remains yet to be seen.

Manga!Shinji did nothing and he's the best official version Gainax and Khara can do!

SpaceBoy2018: Volume 11. Chapter 75: Broken Heart
http://mangafox.be/neon-genesis-evangel ... chapter=75

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 pm

The technique he used in EoE - and I guess it was in the show as well, not so sure about that, because it was all interwoven or redundant - was kind of werid. You need way too much strength and weight on the throat to strangle someone that way. Unless he surprised her out of nowhere, but she would still be able to fight back. But I guess he was just stupid Shinji at that time. If it even happened...
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:23 am

Don't kinkshame Anno, the man likes hands around necks is all
I do love me some Rei guns.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:11 pm

In Eva, hands represent the self. Using the hands to assault or kill another person is the ultimate expression of imposing one's self on another, with the added weight of silencing them for the duration so they can't communicate. It is one answer to the Hedgehog's Dilemma: "I cannot understand you so I will control you".
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:31 pm

^ That makes the most sense. I think Rei even asks Shinji "What are your hands for?" during EoE in response to the questioning of self and existence.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”