Synchronisation battle: Why was Shinji paired with Asuka?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Synchronisation battle: Why was Shinji paired with Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm

During the fight against Israfel, Shinji and Asuka were forced to work together to defeat it, but had to practice synchronizing before defeating it. So why is it that Hideaki Anno decided to have them paired together for something like this?

These two obviously had a rough start, which was made apparently more so towards the end of the series. And we all know that Asuka refuses to work with anybody, especially someone below her standards. I mean, they could have had Shinji paired with Rei (seeing as these two get along fairly better). And as Misato once put it, (especially in the manga chapter) they could easily pair Rei with Shinji "without a second thought".
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Synchronisation battle: Why was Shinji paired with Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:20 pm

Because she'd had more training than Rei; and because learning cooperation is always a valuable skill that perhaps she'd not had the chance to develop. Also perhaps to give her another opportunity to prove herself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Misato was completely bluffing when she said she could pair Rei with Shinji. There's a reason Rei wasn't with the two of them in their initial engagement with Israfel; Unit-00 was still damaged from Operation: Yashima, and doesn't return to active status until Matarael's attack. Misato, having known Asuka for so long, was manipulating her pride.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Misato was completely bluffing when she said she could pair Rei with Shinji.

Realy??? I thought she was being serious there.
There's a reason Rei wasn't with the two of them in their initial engagement with Israfel; Unit-00 was still damaged from Operation: Yashima,

Oh, I guess I forgot about that until I looked at the manga chapter again.
Misato, having known Asuka for so long, was manipulating her pride.

Manipulating it how?

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Manipulating it how?

By saying that the two were interchangable, and that Asuka wasn’t anything special.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:27 am

i haven't watched the series in a long time (coming up on my bi-annual watch) but isn't Unit 00 still being repaired/getting a spiffy new paint job at that point? I remember that aside from Operation Yashima, Unit 00 was out of commission a good deal in the first third of the series.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:i haven't watched the series in a long time (coming up on my bi-annual watch) but isn't Unit 00 still being repaired/getting a spiffy new paint job at that point? I remember that aside from Operation Yashima, Unit 00 was out of commission a good deal in the first third of the series.

Yeah, I think that was deal. Unit 00 did get a new paint job when NERV attempted it's second activation test since the last time it went berserk. And it was still being repaired (damn, these EVAs take a long time to repair, probably more so than the average mechas), so Rei couldn't pilot for a while.

Back on topic, was there some special reason why Anno put them together for this sort of thing other than for them to learn the value of cooperation? Like for some sort of narrative? Because I don't think it was really for the sake of pairing these two together since we know how well that turned out towards the end.

Epilogue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:10 pm

...Misato shipping Asuka and Shinji confirmed...?

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:28 pm

View Original PostEpilogue wrote:...Misato shipping Asuka and Shinji confirmed...?

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure others probably shipped them at the time too, but we all know how well that turned out, especially towards the end.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:49 am

View Original PostEpilogue wrote:...Misato shipping Asuka and Shinji confirmed...?
Remember who actually suggested the plan. It was Kaji, trying to point Asuka at some other male.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 am

∆ Never made the connection!
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:43 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Remember who actually suggested the plan. It was Kaji, trying to point Asuka at some other male.

I assume that it's one of his ways to get Asuka off his back, and out of his hair?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”