Taking in Zeruel's S^2 Organ caused Unit 01 to physically change

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

AdamMalkobitch
Lilith

Taking in Zeruel's S^2 Organ caused Unit 01 to physically change

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkobitch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm

In episode 2 of Neon Genesis, we're first shown that Evangelions are organic, when the front top portion of Unit 01's helmet slides off
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/eva ... 1216045746
Later in the series, after Unit 01 eviscerates Zeruel and eats her S^2 Organ, she sheds much more armour, but is somehow detained and put back into a cage
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/i ... lAbove.png
There are a few more shots of her bandaged face close up
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/eva ... 0707170253
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/eva ... 0312012543

Comparing her first appearance to that of after she takes in Zeruel's S^2 Organ, Unit 01's face has physically been altered- her eyes are much larger, she's grown a mouth, and the shape of her face is much more human, whereas it originally looked more like the face of a whale. This makes me wonder- what exactly does an S^2 organ alter besides giving something the Fruit of Life? When Zeruel's S^2 Organ is ripped out, she seems to become much less solid, more limp (although this is most likely the result of being completely trashed by Unit 01).
The entire artstyle undergoes subtle changes over the course of the series, characters' faces start generic and moe-y and become more organic and realistic, the biggest difference being Misato in episode 1 and her appearance in End of Evangelion, but none of them underwent the insane, drastic changes that Unit 01 went through, so I highly doubt this is an art style change.
Any thoughts?
https://youtu.be/bicPHRcaDEc

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Re: Taking in Zeruel's S^2 Organ caused Unit 01 to physically change

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:03 pm

The face in episode 2 is really poorly drawn. The Evas were never supposed to look like "whales" (aside from the MP Evas, I guess), but creepy humanoids. The drawings that Ikuto Yamashita prepared for the unmasking scene show something very much in line with episode 20. You can even see the line of the mouth right above the jaw piece. (I have no idea what went wrong in the production to screw those excellent concepts up so thoroughly.)

SPOILER: Show

Eva-02's exposed face follows the precedent of Yamashita and #20. So, yeah, this was definitely a change intended to correct a previous mistake. This was even carried over into Eva 1.0, with the brief shot of Eva-01's face being outfitted with a new face piece:

SPOILER: Show

Same part of the face exposed as in episode #2, but episode #20 is used as the reference point for the face. (Kind of annoyed about the bandages, but I guess they could be there because the 5th Angel's heat ray melted the skin off and she's still healing.)

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:Comparing her first appearance to that of after she takes in Zeruel's S^2 Organ, Unit 01's face has physically been altered- her eyes are much larger, she's grown a mouth, and the shape of her face is much more human

The bugged-out eyes are visible during episode 19 before the S^2 is assimilated. We've known Eva-01 has had a mouth since the opening sequence and episode 2, since, well, she opens it and roars and stuff. The shape of the face is corrected so that it actually matches the contours of the helmet, which always implied that something suspiciously human-like lurked beneath.

over the course of the series, characters' faces start generic and moe-y and become more organic and realistic, the biggest difference being Misato in episode 1 and her appearance in End of Evangelion

The character designs received an overhaul for the theatrical features and the updated versions of episodes 21 through 24. Outside of those, the biggest shifts in art style you'll see are between the episodes that were animated more by Gainax people and adhere closely to Sadamoto's designs, and those that were outsourced, where the characters don't look... quite right...

MuscleRobo
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Sorry may I ask what artbook those screen grabs are from? They look so beautiful!

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:16 am

The two images I posted are a scan from Sore o nasumono and a digicam photo from Evangelion 1.0 Complete Records Collection. (Had to resort to a photo because the image is so close to the binding that getting a good scan is impossible without destroying the book.)

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”