Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Also this is about a studio/distributor/streaming service going into print, so I guess it goes into the "print comic books" rather than "media adapted from comics" zone:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/netflix- ... order.html
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 am

View Original PostRay wrote:But given he still has a TON of name recognition? I expect them to give him a BIG name character. And that will be the kiss of death.

Most likely he will be given the main Justice League title as since Rebirth it has had no big name on it and the arcs have felt like filler from what I have gathered.
Unfortunately team books is where his primary faults lie.

That being said as a big fan of his Dark Avengers book (more so then the rest of his Avengers runs) I think he would be a fine choice for a Crime Syndicate series but unfortunately they are currently dead (perhaps they will be restored by the end of Metal or The Doomsday Clock.

If he got a dead serious Noir book that he could do work in the vein of his Alias or Daredevil run on, then I think we would have a reason to hope.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Still on hiatus, throwing a concerning situation out there.

Superb Dc artist Francis Manapul's sister in law has been missing for 5 days now.
https://www.instagram.com/francis_manapul/
https://twitter.com/FrancisManapul

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:37 pm

I am enjoying Uber, and God is Dead right now, anybody else reading them?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Still on hiatus, throwing a concerning situation out there.

Superb Dc artist Francis Manapul's sister in law has been missing for 5 days now.
https://www.instagram.com/francis_manapul/
https://twitter.com/FrancisManapul

She was murdered sadly. They have security cam footage of the possible killer but no ID so far.
View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I am enjoying Uber, and God is Dead right now, anybody else reading them?

Behind on Uber but like it a good deal.
God is Dead I have read all the way. It starts good, meanders for too long & badly. They killed off too many gods in the first 5 issues.
Main part I enjoyed was discovering various different gods & mythologies I had never heard of.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 am

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:20 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Now don't get me wrong I like dark stories but God is dead and Uber both just pushed too many buttons for me. ESPECIALLY Uber.

When you see a room full of Jews with faces like Adolf Hitler, physically altered to look like the madman who wants to wipe them all out just so a super-powered flesh sculptor can " hone her craft"? At some point you just have to draw a line in the sand and say no.

Don't recall that scene.
I like Uber less for the gore & more for the recorded Military history documentary manner it is narrated. (Always been big on military stuff)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:35 am

[deleted]
Last edited by Ray on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:57 am

View Original PostRay wrote:To rip the band-aid off He sounds like a Radical Trump Supporter. He refers to the mob calling for Ozymandias head as 'undeplorables' for one. For now at least, it seems to be skirting the line when it comes to politics though I'm worried the foot could drop at any time. Which makes SOME sense given Watchmen was in part a political work giving the middle finger to the Reagan Administration and Republican politics in general. I understand it comes with the territory. But haven't we seen enough of this sort of thing from already? We live in a divided time, should we REALLY be making a character who's clearly meant to be a Strawman for everything Alan Moore hates about conservatism sound like a supporter of the most controversial presidential candidate in recent history?

Nonono.
I misunderstood that set of panels myself at first.
He criticized BOTH Liberals & Conservatives.

This line was referring to Liberals/sjws.
"The undeplorables scream to hear themselves, deafened in their echo chamber, blaming the other side fro what they have instead of who they are"
"Their tolerance is a one way street"

This line was referring to Conservatives.
"While the totalitarians stand their ground covering their eyes preaching for a return to a rose colored republic, unaware that for those not like the good old days weren't so good"

He is basically dismantling "make America great again" with that line.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 am

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:53 am

Is this post discussing comic books in general, or just a single topic? :???:
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:50 am

Comic books in General.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Poor Frank Cho

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeORrd8nx-s/

"Surveying the water damage ruined comic books. I lost all my Spider-Man books, including the ones I drew."

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:55 pm

I enjoy reading Alien vs Predator and Godzilla comics, i wish they made some for Eva, other than a cameo in a new spiderman comic
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:24 pm

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/24/ ... ur-reboot/

Marvel is bringing back the Fantastic Four in the comics.

Hopefully marvel doesn't screw them over like they screwed over Captain America.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:40 am

So, my LCBS closed down about a year ago, which put a massive damper on my consumption of singles and left me reeling a bit. With no local shop remaining, and my being unwilling to go digital with comics (I've taken that plunge with books but I need the physicality when it comes to comic books), I reached out to one of the larger stores down in Sydney to set up a postal standing order.

Almost a year later, it's been going great. The crew at this shop are super-professional, friendly, reply to my emails promptly - sometimes even the odd ones I sling in the late hours of the night or early morning - and I've had little-to-no errors in my packages. The old local joint was great but there were often mistakes and I felt their hearts were no longer in it a long time ago, hence why they shut I guess.

The only downside of the new arrangement; I only get my stacks every fortnight or so, meaning I'm a couple weeks behind the eight ball, so I tend to avoid comics news sites and other crap that usually posts blatant spoilers or discussion. There's a little markup on the postage, but I evened that out by trimming a little fat off the pull list, i.e. dropping all Marvel drek.

Mostly reading just DC these days when it comes to capeshit. I enjoyed Dark Metal a lot given its flaws, and Doomsday Clock has been fairly superb so far even though it's now only coming out every second month. We've got Bendis taking over the whole Super line in May (dude's getting both Superman and Action Comics, which is just crazy) and there's also a rumour Grant Morrison's going to be getting a Green Lantern comic this year, which would be hella rad.

Other stuff; Descender and Grass Kings have been incredibly comfy ongoings that I recommend. I've read nearly all of BPRD up to the current state as well over the past year to so (crazy to think that's 130+ issues, not even including the Hellboy or Abe Sapien series). Also, Dark Horse Conan omnibuses, a shit ton of manga, French stuff, and probably a whole lot more. It has been a while since I touched base last with this thread.

:tongue:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Welcome back Blue ^_^

Nice to hear your think so highly of Doomsday Clock, I need catch up on it.

What did you think of Superman Reborn? I was fairly disappointed with them merging Rebirth & New 52 Superman together & erasing his relationship to Wonder Woman but the main Superman book has been consistently good regardless.

Been trying all the Dark Matter titles, Silencer I am least interested in but the others all seem decent to fully good.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:04 am

Hey MA, it's been a while man! I kind of missed this old thread to be honest...

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:What did you think of Superman Reborn?

Eh, it was a pretty good yarn. I didn't see any of the twists coming and the art was top notch, which is a big reason why the Rebirth Superman book has been one of the better of this era of DC; having Mahnke, Gleason and Jimenez as the core rotating artists. Just a great little group who highly compliment each other's styles, and they all make Supes look great, too.

Superman Reborn  SPOILER: Show
I felt the merging of Post-Crisis Superman and the New 52 Superman was a little disappointing as well, because I feel like it robbed us of having Post-Crisis Superman period. I really liked the idea of having him around as one of the very few survivors of the Flashpoint event (Wally West being the other big one; the one-shot in Titans were he got to meet Clark again in this universe was fantastic, and it had exquisite Lee Weeks art), having intact all his previous knowledge and experience. In that regard it's something of a cop out.

However, meta-fictionally it makes sense, as one of the mandates of Rebirth was to bring back some of the old, lost elements of the DCU, all the while keeping the stuff that did work in the New 52. Keeping that in mind, what happened to our Supermen is perfect little microcosm of that mission statement.

Also, it just wasn't as cool as some of the juicier speculation of the time, like how New 52 Superman was Quarmer/Sand Superman: https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/co ... ory_xpost/

What do you think of Bendis taking over the Super books? It's funny, he's one of the key architects who drove me away from Marvel (not the sole reason, just one of many factors), and I actually vowed I wouldn't read another Brian Bendis comic again after my profound and heartfelt disappointment in his X-Men run those few years ago, but I am rather intrigued by what's coming up. I'm gonna read his starting mini-series and wade the waters with the first few issues of his Superman and Action Comics.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Been trying all the Dark Matter titles...

I'm just reading The Terrifics as it's the one outlier in the entire line. Only two issues in and it's awesome. It's hard to go wrong with Plastic Man and Metamorpho on a team, and this Phantom Girl is cute!
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:What do you think of Bendis taking over the Super books?
He's one of the key architects who drove me away from Marvel (not the sole reason, just one of many factors), and I actually vowed I wouldn't read another Brian Bendis comic again after my profound and heartfelt disappointment in his X-Men run those few years ago

I'm just reading The Terrifics as it's the one outlier in the entire line. Only two issues in and it's awesome. It's hard to go wrong with Plastic Man and Metamorpho on a team, and this Phantom Girl is cute!

Indifferent, have never really outright disliked him (besides civil war 2), liked his Avengers work although I do think it went on too long. I read the 1st 4 or so arcs of his All New X-Men and liked it, that said his Uncanny X-Men turned me off in the 1st few issues.

I am most intrigued by The Unexpected although I am sad Ryan Sook is only doing 1 issue. My second most hyped was Immortal Men as the concept sounded awesome but the 1st issue didn't really pull me in.
Curse of Brimstone did a really good job crafting a sympathetic lead and the environment around him. Glad Philip Tan is getting work.
Sideways is a lot more fun then I expected. And agree Terrifics is solid.

I am most pleased Martian Manhunter will be on Justice League again and Snyder will be writing him, that said I think the line up has too many characters, I would remove Flash at the least.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”