Non-dialogue differences between English Dub and Original JP audio?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Stickman Sham
Embryo

Non-dialogue differences between English Dub and Original JP audio?

•      
  •      

Postby Stickman Sham » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 am

I'm working on a project to restore some of the sound effects in order to be more faithful to the original audio, such as replacing the infamous brain splatter sound effect in EOE (https://youtu.be/F7IqqhxD8VY?t=33s), restoring Unit 01's roaring (although this can be considered dialogue, I'm restoring it anyway due to the universal language nature of it), and I'm also trying to take a crack at the classroom scene's tone shift. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vMk_jJzScw)

I know a majority of you probably don't care about the English Dub, and I respect that entirely, but I really enjoy it and find it better for party-viewings of the show, and I want to bring it closer to the original source audio. Is anyone familiar with both dubs know of some other key differences I can address? I'd appreciate any contribution possible

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Non-dialogue differences between English Dub and Original JP audio?

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:58 pm

I don't know if you are going to bother with Death and Rebirth, but the most infamous instance of substitution occurs there. It cuts directly from the scene where Kaji is shot to the scene where Asuka slaps Shinji for telling her that Kaji is dead. In the Japanese version they use the sound of Shinji's face being slapped as a substitute for the gunshot. In the dub they turn it back into a shot, completely ignoring the artistic intent of the original. It would certainly be beneficial if you were to restore the slap.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Stickman Sham
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stickman Sham » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:49 am

I've never seen Death and Rebirth, but that change shouldn't be too hard to make, so I'll definitely get to it.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:15 pm

(If you didn't already know) I remember hearing during the commentary on either Death or EoE that when the master was shipped to the US, something had screwed up and there were none of the vocal noises from the Evas or Angels, and after rewatching EoE subbed after being so used to the dub, I can confirm this. The Eva Series is much more vocal in the dub, going from guttural grunting noises in the sub, to subdued "rahr" sounds. This is especially apparent when they grab the awakened Unit 01's wings in their mouths.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”