Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Amazons Adaptation Of Nihilistic Apocalyptic Superhero Comic "The Boys" Casts more members of the Seven.

https://www.cbr.com/amazon-the-boys-seven-cast/
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Ellis is a smarter Mark Millar. I'll be skipping.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm

And Millar, in turn, is the American Mohiro Kitoh. I'll be watching.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:11 pm

I meant Ennis, not Ellis.I always get them mixed up.

Millar writes exploitative garbage to cash in on movie rights deals now. He used to be good.

Seriously, is there any point to this?  SPOILER: Show
Kick-Ass eventually joins 'Justice Forever', a superhero team of which his friends Marty and later Todd are members. Led by the repentant born-again Christian "Colonel Stars", the group launch a campaign against the local crime families of the city. Behind the scenes, the Red Mist (now using the code name "The Motherfucker") has begun recruiting his own group of villains using social media and his father's wealth. Together, the group (known as "The Toxic Mega-Cunts") brutally murder Colonel Stars by cutting off his head, inserting his dog's head on his body, and then launching a full-on assault upon the suburban neighborhood where Katie Deauxma (Kick-Ass's unrequited crush) lives. Nearly a hundred innocent children, police officers, and Katie's father are sadistically killed by The Motherfucker and his henchmen, who then take turns gang raping Katie. Source
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:59 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:01 pm

http://entertainmentscreen.info/steven- ... n-steel-2/

Stephen S DeKnight is interested in MoS2.

As a huge fan of some of his previous work (Spartacus) Is love to see this.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:56 am

[DELETED}
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:52 am

It's not confirmed yet. A director can "show interest" in a movie" and still nothing can come of it.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:52 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:People complain about MOS and BVS being too dark. Look into Matt Vaughn and now this guy. Who are both notorious for violence, dark tones and themes, and incredibly uncomfortable undertones. People shat all over Snyder for making Superman dark and violent. and they want the guy behind the gruesome, violent, sexually charged, DAREDEVIL Netflix series to direct? Are WB Suicidal?

From what I know of DeKnight I’d be curious to see what he does with it. The first season and prequel of Spartacus are some of the finest television ever made. He knows how to take something that could be merely campy and bring it beyond itself.

Also, making Daredevil violent and all doesn’t mean that’s how he’d approach another character.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 am

View Original PostRay wrote:People complain about MOS and BVS being too dark. Look into Matt Vaughn and now this guy. Who are both notorious for violence, dark tones and themes, and incredibly uncomfortable undertones. People shat all over Snyder for making Superman dark and violent. and they want the guy behind the gruesome, violent, sexually charged, DAREDEVIL Netflix series to direct? Are WB Suicidal?

Vaughn has said he would do a straight up modern version of the Reeves films, he wouldn't be making it dark or probably even serious sadly.
He did X-Men - First Class & it wasn't all that dark ether except various Magneto moments, if Vaughn can hit the tonal balance that film had and not go full silly he would have my full support. I just feel it is too big a risk, I don't want him giving it a Kingsman-ish sarcastic tone with faint hints of dark humor, also they really need to take the villain seriously, last thing we need after Jesse Lex is a KIngsman style camp villain.

My top choice for Mos2 remains Brad Bird with Gareth Edwards close behind, Bird did The Iron Giant & The Incredibles and he proved he could do great live action blockbusters with Mission Impossible 4 which IMO was the best of the franchise.

View Original PostRay wrote:Basically a group of 'Superheroes' calling themselves "The Elite" (reference to Millars own "The Authority") inspired by Superman start being more pragmatic and lethal with superpowered criminals, citing things like reducing Collateral damage and civilian casualities as reason for it, though in reality they're more interested in flaunting their authority and fame than helping people.

That may have been the case in the animated version (haven't seen) but I am looking at the comic issue right now and there is never any point were they bask in fame of any kind, they make 1 public announcement clarifying their intentions but they never even show themselves except to Superman.
The comic versions to me seem to genuinely want to protect the world from the dark rampant in it, in a later story (ending battle) it's implied Manchester was molested.

Problems with stories like that who try and refute the idea of pragmatic/realistic superheroes who kill when needed, they always try and claim that such a hero will always end up becoming a villain (Manchester disdainfully contemplated the fact that he has become a super villain in Ending Battle) or at the least has totally un-noble motives deep down. I of course deeply disagree with such a notion.

Steve Rogers, Thor, Wonder Woman prove that wrong and to a lesser extent so does Wolverine.
Hell cops in real life and in comics also prove that wrong, Jim Gordon has killed and most people including Batman still consider him a hero.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:07 am

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I meant Ennis, not Ellis.I always get them mixed up.

Millar writes exploitative garbage to cash in on movie rights deals now. He used to be good.

Seriously, is there any point to this?  SPOILER: Show
Kick-Ass eventually joins 'Justice Forever', a superhero team of which his friends Marty and later Todd are members. Led by the repentant born-again Christian "Colonel Stars", the group launch a campaign against the local crime families of the city. Behind the scenes, the Red Mist (now using the code name "The Motherfucker") has begun recruiting his own group of villains using social media and his father's wealth. Together, the group (known as "The Toxic Mega-Cunts") brutally murder Colonel Stars by cutting off his head, inserting his dog's head on his body, and then launching a full-on assault upon the suburban neighborhood where Katie Deauxma (Kick-Ass's unrequited crush) lives. Nearly a hundred innocent children, police officers, and Katie's father are sadistically killed by The Motherfucker and his henchmen, who then take turns gang raping Katie. Source

The worst part about the kick ass 2 movie was that it just pushed that attempted rape scene on to a different female character then made it in to one of the most tasteless rape jokes ever put to screen when they should have just cut to beating her because the impact is the same and the director wanted everyone to still pat him on the back like look I'm so pro feminist I took out a rape scene despite that a rape joke of the evil guy not getting it up is just as uncomfortable to the female audience because the serious threat level is still there and you think for a moment he might ask one of his team to do it instead.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Well just for the record Vaughn didn't direct that one. he only produced and even he felt that scene in the comic book went a bit too far, and keep in mind this is the same guy who had Kingsman end with an anal sex joke.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:20 pm

I found this rather interesting video talking about a problem that a lot of superhero movies seem to have. "The big gray villain problem"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R23YRN6r9aU

Are the reason I think most of the villains in these sorts of movies tend to be generic and sane looking and have a lot of the color that they had in their original comic book incarnations downgraded or bleached out. Is to allow the audience to read the fight scenes better.

If you had to colorful characters fighting each other the movie runs the risk of not being able to tell which character is we're in a fight scene. Jackie Chan said he liked Clarity in his fight scenes which is why when he wears white the bad guy wears color, and when he's wearing normal clothes the bad guy is wearing black.

Problem is with superheroes you kind of have to make them colorful, and if you made the villains with a primary color palette it would make the scene harder to read.

Are there ways around this?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:20 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/ErikDavis/st ... 3786492928

Black Panther is outselling every other superhero movie in presales.
the prophecy is true

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 am

Spider-Man: Homecoming was a dull nothing of a movie but the best part of the film is finally online - the animated end credits!

https://vimeo.com/242765729

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Official Synopsis for Shazam Released.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/02/05/shaz ... -released/

Even if it's good. the DC brand is so damaged by bad word of mouth and controversy that I fully expect it to underperform even if it is a good movie.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:02 pm

That might be true, but there are other factors in play here, such as the cost of those movies. To put things in a little perspective, Justice League cost $300 million (and even more once you add marketing costs), so it was pretty much doomed to not break even from the very start. It was one of the most expensive movies ever, not accounting for inflation. It's estimated that, counting marketing costs, it would have needed $750 million just to break even. Compare that to Suicide Squad. That movie earned $746 million, which still wouldn't have profitable for Justice League. But since Suicide Squad had a budget that was significantly smaller than that of Justice League, it was able to make a profit. And that was despite it coming immediately after the extremely disliked Batman vs. Superman and the divisive Man of Steel. The upcoming Aquaman movie, as a solo superhero film, has a stated budget of $160 million, and Shazam should logically be similar. If that's the case, they should be profitable even if they only end up doing Justice League numbers at the box office. A $650 million gross should be fine for Aquaman.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:16 am

On top of that. Everything I see about Shazam fills me with either indifference or annoyance.

All the emphasis is being put on how FUNNY! and HOPEFUL! it's going to be because DC doesn't understand nuance at freaking all.

There was this DC animated movie that did a darker take on Shazam that a lot of people liked. Where they address the issue of a kid in an adults body. And how a kid deals with Trauma as opposed to an Adult. Billy in that story is still a good person despite dealing with a messed up world. But I know Shazam is going to be thematically empty to avoid falling into the same pitholes that prior DC movies did.

DC: SEE GUYS! WE CAN BE FUNNY TOO! LOVE US AGAIN! PLEASE! LOVE US AGAIN!

Audience: "why should we go see you trying be funny when Marvel IS funny? Why Should we settle for the diet brand when the real deal is in the same exact theater?" (Walks past Shazam to see Marvels Stiltman)

I'd bet money if I could. Opening weekend. Good or bad movie. That's EXACTLY how it's going to go. DC is in the Kobayash Maru.

WB should realize there's no shame in admitting defeat. Just finish Wonder Womans Trilogy. Then Shelve the entire DC Universe thing for a decade to let the hate die down and try again once the Superhero Genre comes back around to being popular again in ten years. All this is going to do is make people angry with you no matter what you do. You imitate Marvel you'll be seen as inferior imitator. You stick with the tone you refuse to commit too you'll drive audiences.

Trends only last twenty years. Iron Man and Batman Begins came out over Ten years ago. You're over the hill, and even if you can get a few good movies you'll NEVER be able to match Marvel because Superhero movies will stop making money by them. Just stop dragging these characters through the mud. You had your chance to make a DC universe that could compete. You blew it. and with the Rise of Streaming replacing theatrical releases you'll NEVER get that chance ever again. GIVE UP.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 pm

It's not just DC that has this problem. Having watched many, though not all, of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, they tend to veer towards being either very serious (though never quite to the extent of DC) or very comical. This is especially evident in recent years; their earlier movies, like the first Iron Man and the first Captain America, were a lot more balanced.
It all goes back to the issue with deconstructions that I pointed out earlier. Once a genre is "broken", so to speak, it isn't viable in its original form anymore. It has to be either super-funny or super-dark, no gray areas.

Return to “Film and Video”