Rei II and Gendo

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kisses4Katie
Embryo

Rei II and Gendo

•      
  •      

Postby Kisses4Katie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm

I have a quick question I cannot find the answer to, but I feel it might merit a deeper discussion and analyses. I just can't seem to figure out what that might be!
Is there a reason that Gendo burned his hands and saved Rei in general in her first sync test? At the time we know it is meant to show how Gendo cares for her and is able to show emotion and also to show just HOW distant he is from Shinji. It also serves as a means for Rei to aquire his glasses. But at the end of the series, knowing that she is a clone and they could have brought another one in at any time, why did Gendo save this particular Rei? Especially when he seemed fairly callous of her life later on in the next episode in the fight against Ramiel?

Storm
Embryo

Re: Rei II and Gendo

•      
  •      

Postby Storm » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 pm

View Original PostKisses4Katie wrote:I have a quick question I cannot find the answer to, but I feel it might merit a deeper discussion and analyses. I just can't seem to figure out what that might be!
Is there a reason that Gendo burned his hands and saved Rei in general in her first sync test? At the time we know it is meant to show how Gendo cares for her and is able to show emotion and also to show just HOW distant he is from Shinji. It also serves as a means for Rei to aquire his glasses. But at the end of the series, knowing that she is a clone and they could have brought another one in at any time, why did Gendo save this particular Rei? Especially when he seemed fairly callous of her life later on in the next episode in the fight against Ramiel?

I would assume that after years of working together (and of course the superficial resemblance to Yui), Gendo has developed a genuine attachment to Rei II, and is fully aware that a new Rei would not be the same person. It strikes me as possible that Rei II and Fuyutsuki are the only people Gendo are close to.

Regarding perceived callousness toward Rei's life - Gendo does what needs to be done - simply allowing Ramiel to enter the Geofront was not a realistic option - but he also prioritizes Rei's life. When Rei is in danger against Armisael, Eva-01 is promptly launched in her defense - a measure Gendo didn't take to protect Asuka an episode earlier.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 am

View Original PostStorm wrote:When Rei is in danger against Armisael, Eva-01 is promptly launched in her defense - a measure Gendo didn't take to protect Asuka an episode earlier.

Just for the sake of accuracy (and my OCD), dont you mean earlier? Arael came before Armisael
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Storm
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Storm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:15 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Just for the sake of accuracy (and my OCD), dont you mean earlier? Arael came before Armisael

What's wrong with what I said there? Arael was the episode before Armisael.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”