Mari's national origin: England specifically, or Britain in general?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

MarqFJA87
Adam

Mari's national origin: England specifically, or Britain in general?

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:18 pm

On the wiki, Mari's nationality is stated to be British because, and I quote:

The booklet that comes with the 2.22 DVD release states that Mari was born in England.

The thing is, I've learned a relatively long time ago that in Japanese, several of the words (usually of the loanword kind) that ultimately derive from the English word "England" are used to denote both the specific "home country" named "England" and the United Kingdom as a whole. And it does get used this way in anime; I remember one of the Negima OADs having one character use イギリス (Igirisu, from Portuguese "Inglez") to refer to the protagonist's homeland, yet it's also a known fact that the character in question hails specifically from Wales (his original-but-now-destroyed hometown and his current one are both located there), so it's obvious that the word was being used in the general "United Kingdom" sense. This, of course, reflects a similar phenomenon in Europe, the Americas and other countries, where "England" is erroneously treated as a synonym for "Britain" and "the United Kingdom".

So... What word did the booklet use? And are we sure that it really meant "England" rather than "United Kindgom"/"Britain"?
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Mari's national origin: England specifically, or Britain in general?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:are we sure that it really meant "England" rather than "United Kingdom"/"Britain"?

The question would be meaningless if those who stated her origin actually didn't realise that distinction. Which it seems to me, frankly, not a few "English" don't either.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Sad, sad Shinji... (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”