[GAME] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

For talking about everything else Evangelion: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: [GAME] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Whoa, looks like y'all got awesome stuff going on here! I hopped onto the forums by chance (Just noticed my PMs).

The technical lists in the GitHub goes over my head (I have limited free time currently, too), but I wish you luck on this project :heart: From what I can gather, those lists are various data from the game? Scenario titles/summaries, in-game locations, character actions like "____ (name)" combined with "_____ (action)", etc. Might even be some CI-related info, if I read that right in the second Github link.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

deeRez
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:From what I can gather, those lists are various data from the game? Scenario titles/summaries, in-game locations, character actions like "____ (name)" combined with "_____ (action)", etc.

Yes, the "interface-text" is mostly stored in the game code; The CI stuff I'm sure is in a separate file. If there's any of it on the repo, might be a duplicate?
The text in the game is scattered across 3 types of formats:
1 - Built into the game code (this is what's on the repo)
2 - Compressed using a yet unknown/possibly-proprietary compression algorithm (always a pain to reverse engineer), stored outside of the game-code
3 - Plain Shift-JIS (Which I think is what the CI stuff was stored in), stored outside of the game-code

Ultimately I'd also like to #2 as well and to also crack the storage format for the pictures.

In other news,I've added a script for generating cheat codes if one were to modify the *_translate.py files:

Code: Select all

$ ./generate_translate_cwcheat_codes.py
_S ULJS-00064
_G Shinseiki Evangelion 2: Tsukurareshi Sekai - Another Cases
_C1 Translate 1
_L 0x20254A00 0x00006F4E
_L 0x202549F8 0x00736559
_L 0x201B5540 0x20736559
_L 0x201B5544 0x00006F4E
In and of itself, self-evident.

deeRez
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 am

So like a week ago or so I found the game's decompression routine, it's at: 0x08807068
Register a0 is the input buffer
a1 is output buffer
and a2 is the decompressed size

I've been trying to transcribe it since then to run it stand-alone.
The algorithm is weird as eff, and as such my transcription has bugs.

But for now here's a little taste of alfa.hpt decoded, which is stored in umd0:/PSP_GAME/USRDIR/game/title.har

Nothing big, just the alpha systems logo, but baby steps for now.
And course there's more work needed post-decompression to re-assemble the actual image since it's in a tiled format, but slow and steady.

katouhayato
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby katouhayato » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:51 am

Registered just to post here-- this is such a great project, and I want to thank you whole-heartedly for attempting to take it on! I ended up with this game last year and managed to play through it, but it was a bit painstaking to use my limited Japanese. Kanji dictionary and gamefaqs became my good friend. I would jump right in and help if my skills were a little less rusty and I had more time, for sure. Looking forward to hearing more about the progress!

deeRez
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 am

View Original Postkatouhayato wrote:Registered just to post here-- this is such a great project, and I want to thank you whole-heartedly for attempting to take it on! I ended up with this game last year and managed to play through it, but it was a bit painstaking to use my limited Japanese. Kanji dictionary and gamefaqs became my good friend. I would jump right in and help if my skills were a little less rusty and I had more time, for sure. Looking forward to hearing more about the progress!

No problem, and welcome!

So the decompressor is working, but it's slow due to the way I went about it. It takes like 30 seconds to decompress one file.
But regardless good-enough-for-now. I've been pretty much running a process in the background that's decompressing every file in the game.
Still going.

With the decompressor working stably at least, I've figured out more of the picture format.
Here are some of the images I've converted after decompressing them:

There's like a 1000 or so event based images for example, such as this set:

Not sure what this is, but I found it funny that it's a picture of a cut-out line:

As for the failures, they don't convert at all or if they do, they come out garbled.
One of the easier failures to tackle is like this:

I plan to spend some time tomorrow to clean my code up.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”