a possible inspiration for the design of Leliel

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Adam

a possible inspiration for the design of Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 am

During WWI, the US and british navy was experimenting with something called "dazzling camoflague". It consisted of irregular patterns of mostly stripes, usually dominated by black and white with a few other colors thrown in the mix.
a few examples  SPOILER: Show

Unlike traditional camouflague, the purpose was not to disguise the ship, but rather to make it harder to identify the ship type and to throw off the aim of the vessels attacking it and increasing the chance of the ships artillery being missed by the incoming fire.
Sounds familiar? It should, because this is exactly what happens with Leliel, although in a different way: The black and white shadow tricks NERV and the pilots into thinking that it is the body (making it harder to identify the target), and thus attrackts all the fire, while the actual body is left unnoticed until it is too late (throwing off the aim and leaving the means of attacking undamaged)

Still not convinced? Then take a look at this camo pattern of the HMS Argus:
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

Re: a possible inspiration for the design of Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 am

In The Evangelion Style, Yasutaka Yoshimura attributes the design to the mod fashion trend of the 1960s in his article about 60's motifs in Evangelion.

Something to consider:

Blockio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am

Oh... well, there goes that theory.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Is there any connection between the fashion trend and the camouflage?

Edit:

It would seem that while Leliel is not directly inspired by the camouflage, it was definitely an indirect inspiration. The dazzle patterns from the 60's fashions were a revival of dazzle patterns used earlier:

https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2013/d ... n-fashion/

In fact, dazzle patterns in clothing appeared contemporaneously with the camouflage on ships.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 am

Knowing Anno and his steadfast inclination toward Anno-like things, ships feel like the more obvious source of inspiration to me. Nice find, Blockio!

Blockio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:23 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Knowing Anno and his steadfast inclination toward Anno-like things, ships feel like the more obvious source of inspiration to me. Nice find, Blockio!

That was what caught my eye in the first place as well. IVe read an article on dazzling camoflague a few months back and then stumbled across the picture I linked two days before making this post, and it immediately reminded me of Leliel

Cybermat47
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 pm

I’ve known about dazzle camo for a while, but I never made the connection with Leliel. Good catch.

I wonder why dazzle cam wasn’t more common? It seems pretty effective to me. Determining distance and angle on bow was essential to aiming with torpedoes, and dazzle cam definitely makes that harder, judging from photos.

My fanfics:
Evangelion 2.9: You Will (Not) Survive
Godzilla VS Evangelion: Who Will Know?

"I have to count my blessings, I have to learn my lessons, my fate is in the balance, I must go on believing!"
- Fate by Shirō Sagisu

Blockio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:37 pm

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:I’ve known about dazzle camo for a while, but I never made the connection with Leliel. Good catch.

I wonder why dazzle cam wasn’t more common? It seems pretty effective to me. Determining distance and angle on bow was essential to aiming with torpedoes, and dazzle cam definitely makes that harder, judging from photos.

I guess it was a two-edged sword, since it did make it easier to realise that there was something there, even if it was harder to identify. Plus, the camo scheme was unique for each vessel, so it was very tedious to design and apply. At least thats my explanation to it, I dont think anyone has actually bothered with thorough research. Although I do know a few people who might be able to give a more in-depth answer, so Ill just ask them and forward this as soon as I have an answer.

Blockio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm

I got an answer:

a guy who is an expert on naval warfare wrote:Part of it was that paint costs resources that are often needed elsewhere, such as lead that could be used in bullets- another reason was manpower, painting takes time and lots of people
Also, dazzle camo only works with the right conditions, such as formation spread, distance to target, weather, speed, etc

So yeah, aparently it just wasnt worth it.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”