Evangelion 64 Complete Soundrip

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The NERV of Some People
Embryo

Evangelion 64 Complete Soundrip

•      
  •      

Postby The NERV of Some People » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Before I start, I want to humbly apologize if this topic is in the wrong board. I also want to apologize for how awkward I sound - English is indeed my first language, I just suck at wording things. ;^^

So anyhow, hello everyone, I'm new here. Longtime EVA fan, first time poster. One thing that I like to spend my time doing is ripping sound effects from games. For the most part I've done this with a lot of Mario games, but I decided to try something a bit different.

I love Evangelion, and a significant part of that is due to its sound design, so I was disappointed when I couldn't find a pack of sound effects used in the series anywhere on the internet. Fed up, I thought I'd do it myself.

So at last getting to the point, I've ripped every single sound effect from the Neon Genesis Evangelion video game on the Nintendo 64. As far as I'm concerned, every sound effect is taken directly from the show, so it's basically a pack of Evangelion sounds. Every Angel roar, Eva unit stomp, and fleshy blood splattery sound you could possibly want all wrapped up in one neat little package.

There's one problem though - There's a lot of sounds (eight hundred and fourty-one to be exact) and all of them are unlabelled. See, I'm an EVA fan, I love the show, but I don't know it backwards, upside down and inside out like a lot of the people on this forum do, so naturally I didn't have the chops to recognize and label every single sound effect.

So I'm making a proposal, Evageeks - can you guys all work as a team to identify and label all eight hundred and fourty-one lovely sound effects? The cards are on the table, all you have to do is turn them over! It'd be a daunting task, but if this gets done, we can finally have a repository of Evangelion sound effects! Thanks in advance!
EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:49 pm

This is very cool. Not sure if I can help identify the SEs, but it's nice to have raw voice acting (even if you have to edit it).

Caliburn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caliburn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:03 am

Nice collection! However, I wonder if a frequency-related setting was set incorrectly during the ripping. The clearest indicator of this is that the voices in BANK_01 seem to be at chipmunk speeds. Anyone else encounter this issue or is it only me?

For example, check out BANK_01_INSTR_0051_SND_0000.wav This voice file, like all the others, plays too fast and high-pitched on my computer. To investigate, I took that file into Adobe Audition and time stretched it using the resample setting at a ratio of 200, thereby making it slower and lower pitched, and it became Kaworu's natural speaking voice.

I don't know what you used to rip the files, but if you have a setting that lets you control the sample rate or playback rate of the exported file during ripping, try setting it to different values like 44kHz, 22kHz, or 11kHz and see if the resulting files yield natural-sounding voices and other sound effects.

A quick Google search yielded [URL=http://forums.ffshrine.org/f63/understand-proper-sample-rates-important-68280/#post1302342]this thread on another forum[/URL] which suggests that not all N64 games used the same sample rate for their sounds, so some experimenting with the settings may be needed. Hope that helps. Of course, I may be wrong about what's going on since I am guessing from limited information.

Oh, and I'm pretty new here too, but welcome!

The NERV of Some People
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The NERV of Some People » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 pm

View Original PostCaliburn wrote:Nice collection! However, I wonder if a frequency-related setting was set incorrectly during the ripping. The clearest indicator of this is that the voices in BANK_01 seem to be at chipmunk speeds. Anyone else encounter this issue or is it only me?

For example, check out BANK_01_INSTR_0051_SND_0000.wav This voice file, like all the others, plays too fast and high-pitched on my computer. To investigate, I took that file into Adobe Audition and time stretched it using the resample setting at a ratio of 200, thereby making it slower and lower pitched, and it became Kaworu's natural speaking voice.

I don't know what you used to rip the files, but if you have a setting that lets you control the sample rate or playback rate of the exported file during ripping, try setting it to different values like 44kHz, 22kHz, or 11kHz and see if the resulting files yield natural-sounding voices and other sound effects.

A quick Google search yielded [URL=http://forums.ffshrine.org/f63/understand-proper-sample-rates-important-68280/#post1302342]this thread on another forum[/URL] which suggests that not all N64 games used the same sample rate for their sounds, so some experimenting with the settings may be needed. Hope that helps. Of course, I may be wrong about what's going on since I am guessing from limited information.

Oh, and I'm pretty new here too, but welcome!

yeah, unfortunately it's only natural for some sounds to come out like that, no matter what settings you use - I think the developers probably slow it down in programming or something. At least, as far as I know. Besides, all of the non-vocal sound effects are at more or less perfect speed, so yea
EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 am

That's rather nifty. The guy(s) working on a fangame might really appreciate this as a resource.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

kidkolumbo
Embryo

Re: Evangelion 64 Complete Soundrip

•      
  •      

Postby kidkolumbo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:48 pm

I finally bothered to sort these samples out.

Here they are: http://www.mediafire.com/file/99mdkraw2 ... rected.zip

Bank 0 are the sound effects, which were all an double speed, or twelve steps too high.

Bank 1 were the vocals, the most annoying part. Some where 12 steps too high, and some were 7 steps too high, like thy were recorded at different qualities. I had to play back all of them to and guess which was right, as I've never watched the show subbed.

Banks 3 and 4 were samples instruments for the music in the game. They were correct as is. I plan on using these samples and making full blown instruments in the future.

lu1000
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lu1000 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Eva Entry Plug Sound 1 Hour - Cleanest Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTFm1n3A9g

Evafan00123
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan00123 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:08 pm

View Original Postkidkolumbo wrote:I finally bothered to sort these samples out.

Here they are: http://www.mediafire.com/file/99mdkraw2 ... rected.zip

Bank 0 are the sound effects, which were all an double speed, or twelve steps too high.

Bank 1 were the vocals, the most annoying part. Some where 12 steps too high, and some were 7 steps too high, like thy were recorded at different qualities. I had to play back all of them to and guess which was right, as I've never watched the show subbed.

Banks 3 and 4 were samples instruments for the music in the game. They were correct as is. I plan on using these samples and making full blown instruments in the future.

Thank you so much for doing this! However (and I’m not sure if it’s a problem with the mediafire link) nearly all the voice files are cut off early. This makes the majority of them unusable since it isn’t the full line of what is said. I know you did this several years ago, but do you still have the files on your computer, and can you compare them to what was in the download link?

kidkolumbo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kidkolumbo » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:21 am

View Original PostEvafan00123 wrote:Thank you so much for doing this! However (and I’m not sure if it’s a problem with the mediafire link) nearly all the voice files are cut off early. This makes the majority of them unusable since it isn’t the full line of what is said. I know you did this several years ago, but do you still have the files on your computer, and can you compare them to what was in the download link?

Are you sure it's not the nature of the original samples? This was the N64, they were fighting for space, and IIRC some of these lines were phrases broken up.
I just looked for a long sample and "BANK_01_INSTR_005E_SND_0000" is Kaworu humming Beethoven's 9th, and the entire length of the sample when properly stretched is over 29 seconds. That said, as evidenced by "restretch", I don't think I exported the files correctly and by extension they're in their unaltered states. I have time, I'll look into redoing the work.

dvdmovies123
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dvdmovies123 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:30 pm

maybe try loading them into audacity and changing the sample rate? sounds like bank 0 is sampled at 22050hz instead of 44100hz. some bank 1 dialogue might be at 32000hz. will try doing this in a bit

edit 2: listening closely and messing with sample rates it seems like most if not all of the sounds should be played at 11025hz
edit 3: instrument samples appear to play at 22050hz

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”