[Game] Ayanami Raising Project - Comparison of Versions

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

[Game] Ayanami Raising Project - Comparison of Versions

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:28 am

Hi there. I actually forgot to post this here when I did it, but it's here now, I guess. Anyhow, not too long ago I made a comparison of the different platform version of Ayanami Raising Project which includes PC, Dreamcast, PS2, and NDS, detailing as you can guess the differences (with pictures). That said, I'll just be dumping my blog/tumblr post of it here so excuse me for my choice of words here and there, and my dribble. Censor it if need be. I don't mind. Also, I'm a very sarcastic person so please try not to take anything that I bring up seriously or to heart. Lastly, it is kinda long so please bear with me. Now, let's begin.

Comparison of Versions
Hmm, my bad for not doing this when I should have. That said, here’s a little version comparison of Neon Genesis Evangelion: Ayanami Raising Project. Now, where should I start. I’ll begin with gameplay to build up some text before I post pics. Also, take note when I use ARP (Ayanami Raising Project - PC & Dreamcast) and ASP (Asuka supplement Project - PS2 & NDS), otherwise you might get confused.

Gameplay
For the most part, gameplay remains the same, but there are some differences. The gameplay in the original PC release was broken, buggy and very unbalanced (especially Rei’s love meter) for the most part, so much that Rei sees Shinji when she dies (I’ve mentioned this before if anyone remembers) even though you as 2nd Lieutenant has a higher love meter (or whatever the fuck you want to call it) than him. I mean, if something like that which is a crucial part in the game is broken, then get out. Leave. And come back when you fucking fix things. No, let me say this, they couldn’t be that dumb, that was probably intentional knowing how Anno loves to torture Reifags and see them suffer. 3.33 anyone? Yeah, that’s what’s really going on here. I knew it all fucking along. Anyhow, they did put out a patch, which didn’t really fix anything because I still got that same fucking bug. I take it back, they are that dumb.
SPOILER: Show

Also, while I’m on gameplay. It was greatly fixed and actually balanced with the Asuka Supplement Project ports. In the original, it was too easy to build stats. You were given too big a stat boost with the training options. You could send Rei to NERV any or every day of the week if you wanted to, sky rocking her respective stats into cloud 9, winning Angel encounters within a few attacks. No joke, that’s how unbalanced it is. But in ASP, they refined it and made gameplay very balanced. And there, NERV is only available on weekends as opposed to the entire week which makes things that much better. So, you can’t spam NERV training or ridiculously boost stats, either. Also, I would like to mention that all the Eva pilots have different stats (health, attack, defence) in the Angel battles in the original PC release, but in ASP they all have the same, and the respective stats are only used for dodging and accuracy if my memory serves me correctly. Anyhow, I didn’t like that, it was an unnecessary edit. But they probably did so in an attempt to make the fights longer, I guess. Anyway, the teaching Rei words training option works differently in ARP than it does in ASP. In the former, you have to enter in the words (lewd ones) you want to teach her using your keyboard yourself, while in the latter, it simplifies things by removing that pesky chore and rather auto chooses the words from a very long list instead, which was a drag to translate by the way.

Now, lastly for gameplay. The Angel missions in the original PC version and the respective missions dialogue was very rushed. They didn’t speak all the dialogue from the show during the moments, and it went over very quickly. However, this was all fixed in ASP, where the dialogue was greatly corrected and the missions were extended to be that much longer. Also, they added more training options and stats in ASP, which were essentially the ARP ones split into two for the most part. There’s no point in listing them all, so here’s an example or two:
    Physical Strength
    Strength
    Fitness
Furthermore, most stats have a respective training to go with it in both ARP & ASP. For example, Strength and Fitness have Strength training and Fitness training, although some aren’t as obviously named as those two.

Graphics
Now, onto graphics. You know, there was actually a little censoring with the ports. Not much, but they added some glare and such to cover up GNR’s nipples, and more of it when Rei’s bikini falls off after she is hit by a wave at the beach, with it also being redrawn and with less censoring (they moved her hands to cover up her nipples instead of glare) may I add.

Now, other than censoring, all the new CG’s for the new events (some existing one’s redrawn, too), more/changed character textbox portraits and endings that they added had a different artist than the original PC release, which sometimes clashes with the original PC art as only some of it was redrawn. Also, they redrew Rei’s stances to boot, too. And well, they do look better, but I still kinda like the PC one’s. They have some charm to them.

Lastly, the menu in-which you choose where to go in Tokyo 3 and the menu’s and such are different in every version. I kinda liked that but the 3D ones do look kinda goofy, but how can you resist the Dreamcast version when it has a cute looking… nude Rei floating about the screen? Umm, was that part of Anno’s master plan as well? Nah, just kidding.

Features
Well, there’s not much to say about features. The only differences I can say is that Asuka was added as well as a bunch of new events and endings for Rei in ASP. A quiz mode in the NDS version, which is the only one to have it. You can view both event and ending CG’s in the ports as you could only view endings in the original PC release. A new Dejiko (Nyo) shop and new items/clothing to buy in ASP, which presumably has something to do with unlocking the NDS exclusive Dejiko ending for both Rei and Asuka. A Gurren Lagann costume for both Asuka (Yuko) and Rei (Nia) solely in the NDS version. And lastly, 2nd Lieutenants voice was removed in ASP, but was kept in the Dreamcast version since that’s more or less a direct port of the PC version.

Also, you may also note that the shops in this game like Animate and the like are real life stores in Japan. A nice little features if you ask me. Anyway, that’s really it for my comparison. I hope/think I covered all the differences or at least most of them, and I hope you enjoyed it, too. So, unless you’ve got any questions or want to leave a comment. Until next time! See ya!

Note
Did anyone notice my Zelda reference in the NDS translation? I thought someone would have mentioned it by now. For those who are curious, it is at the point where you have to choose which entry plug Rei is in, in the lake and if you choose the one Asuka is in, she shouts at you since she’s naked.

End
Well, that was it. If anyone actually read it and got this far, thanks for reading. If not, then I hope you at least enjoyed the pretty pictures. Also, thoughts?
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Crazy Packers Fan
Adam

Re: [Game] Ayanami Raising Project - Comparison of Versions

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Packers Fan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:42 pm

How about the endings? I heard (maybe it was from you, I can't remember) that certain endings got removed from the DS version. Do you know which endings are specific to each version?

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:51 am

I've been wondering about this game. I hear it's absolutely batshit crazy, with Rei getting the opportunity to become a baker, a bride, a painter, a fitness instructor, and, umm...a dominatrix? (Good lord, Rei would be the worst dominatrix ever. "Punish me!" "If I'm ordered to, I will. What is considered unpleasant?") Good job on translating it, I need to play it now. (Along with GOS, which I need to re-download after I sadly lost it due to a PC wipe). IIRC
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:38 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:a dominatrix?
THUD THUD THUD :devil:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:53 am

View Original PostCrazy Packers Fan wrote:How about the endings? I heard (maybe it was from you, I can't remember) that certain endings got removed from the DS version. Do you know which endings are specific to each version?

Ah, I've probably mentioned that somewhere on my blog before, but I'll go through them quickly now.

First off:
The original PC version has 34 endings which includes the wedding variations, and the few exclusive ones such as ganguro, dominatrix and horse-riding Rei.

The PS2 removed a few of them, changed the art for some and added a few making that 39 endings in total. A few of the additions are the Yatterman, cheerleader, wrestler and so on.

The NDS version more or less added the Dejiko Gamers endings for both Asuka and Rei.

Anyhow, I'll go over the FULL list soon and point out all exclusive, removed and added endings between the platforms. Until then.

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I've been wondering about this game. I hear it's absolutely batshit crazy, with Rei getting the opportunity to become a baker, a bride, a painter, a fitness instructor, and, umm...a dominatrix? (Good lord, Rei would be the worst dominatrix ever. "Punish me!" "If I'm ordered to, I will. What is considered unpleasant?") Good job on translating it, I need to play it now. (Along with GOS, which I need to re-download after I sadly lost it due to a PC wipe). IIRC

Well, there's a lot of random events which will put a smile on your face, so even if the "gameplay" isn't very engaging, it's worth to stick through to get those events. Here's a silly one as an example. Asuka forces you to clean up the park with her. That was hilarious.

Dildry
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dildry » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:18 pm

What kind of Video game is this?
You dare mock the son of a sheperd - Sheperds Son

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:15 pm

I like the small things present in the game.

View Original PostDildry wrote:What kind of Video game is this?

One in which the objective is to groom Asuka or Rei. :devil:

Markal
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Markal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:51 pm

@xPearse: I sat down, patched and played the game (Through both routes), and I thoroughly appreciate the effort you put into allowing us non-Japanese-speaking folks to enjoy this amusing jaunt into meddling with Rei/Asuka's lives. Bravo!

On a side note, it seems that the endings seem to be heavily based stats-wise on a combination of the girls' athletic/artistic/academic traits mixed with their self-awareness stat. If the self-awareness stat is too low, it seems you'll always end up with the "Fast Food/Convenience Store" ending no matter how high their athletics/academics/artistic ratings are.
"It is nothing to die, it is horrible not to live." - Jean Valjean

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:33 am

View Original PostxPearse wrote:Image

Good lord, that face. That is the face of pure, unrelenting, undiluted hatred.

"So, Rei, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

"Dead."
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

thanh200110
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thanh200110 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:28 am

Thanks you for hardworking to service Eva's fans

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:27 am

View Original PostxPearse wrote:One in which the objective is to groom Asuka or Rei. :devil:

Is there a name for this outfit?
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

niku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby niku » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:53 am

in nds: very hard to made Rei become otaku & wear bunny suit & gurren lagann outfit, but ib Asuka maybe not really hard to made Asuka become otaku & wear gurren lagann yoko cosplay, i spent 23.000 yen buy doujin in 8/13 comiket event,but Rei not wearing negane... can help me mister?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:06 am

...what
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Crazy Packers Fan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Packers Fan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Did anyone else ever play this and finish? I've played the English translated version, but I have only been able to get the same ending every single time (the fast food ending). I'd like to know if it's even possible to get any other ending. After all, I used a cheat code to max out Rei's attributes, so ending up with her as an incompetent fast food employee just doesn't make sense.

If by chance you are able to get a different ending, screenshot all the dialogue from the ending so we can see what happens in it. I did that for the fast food ending; it's rather depressing that I raised Rei into an employee who gets orders wrong three times per day.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”