Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 pm

https://filmschoolrejects.com/the-last- ... ntroversy/
Some theaters are pushing back against Disney’s demands by refusing to show The Last Jedi. The article lists Disney’s terms as follows. Those terms include the fact that Disney will receive 65% of revenue from ticket sales, the highest percentage a Hollywood studio has ever demanded. They’re also forcing theaters to screen the film in their largest auditorium for at least four weeks. For previous Star Wars movies, the studio has required 64% of the revenue from ticket sales and four-week commitments, but typical Disney movies only require a two-week commitment.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Huh. I wonder why Disney’s only demanding that with Star Wars.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:27 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Huh. I wonder why Disney’s only demanding that with Star Wars.

If I had to guess... for the $$$$$$$$ :money:
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Well, Disney has been allowed to monopolize things on the blockbuster level so much so that they're now at "Fuck You Levels" when it comes to everything.

Disney refused to screen Thor: Ragnarok for the LA Times because of their very fair coverage in how the corporation is fucking over the city of Anaheim, where Disneyland is based (it's bad). Now Disney is refusing LA Times reporters & critics from any screenings of their upcoming movies - which also happens to include a Pixar & Star Wars movie - thus preventing the LA Times from having a review ready for release. Cause by Disney's logic it's all "who cares, this only hurts the paper, 'dem fucking rubes are gonna pay to see the new Star Wars or Marvel no matter what it is."

Ah well. It's not like Disney CEO Bob Iger has an averse relationship with the press (he does) & is thinking about making a run for a political office at some point after leaving Disney in 2019 (he totally is).

(Of course the big issue here is Disney retaliating to a piece of legitimate journalism... that's not good.)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Well if you don't cut off the bad behavior early, it will continue to get worse and worse. And they're retaliating that hard to fair (and I presume honest and fact-checked) journalism?

And does the studio really need that much back from ticket sales? It's a Star Wars movie, they're already guaranteed a king's ransom in cash at a more reasonable level so that the theaters can function and not close because of income. I wonder when Disney will be "too big to fail" like all those banks way back when.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:07 pm

They can get away with it precisely because it's Star Wars. The geniuses.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Disney refused to screen Thor: Ragnarok for the LA Times because of their very fair coverage in how the corporation is fucking over the city of Anaheim, where Disneyland is based (it's bad).

As someone who used to live in Anaheim. This is 100% true. Less than a hundred miles from Anaheim is a literal TENT CITY.

Ah well. It's not like Disney CEO Bob Iger has an averse relationship with the press (he does) & is thinking about making a run for a political office at some point after leaving Disney in 2019 (he totally is).

Well. . . Fuck me. :lastresort: If I have to live through ANOTHER shitshow election year with a crappy celebrity candidate. . .

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:32 am

Hahaha! And everyone claims that Hollywood is full of liberal Democrats, despite the fact that almost every politician who came out of Hollywood ran as a Republican and was voted into office by conservatives. (Regan, Schwarzenegger, Trump...)

Anywho... I'm probably going to see Thor Ragnorok this weekend. The new SW trailer will probably play before it. (I haven't seen it online because I was too busy basking in the afterglow of Blade Runner 2049-- GOD-DAMNthatmoviewasawesome.) I'll see what all the unfortunate hype is all about then.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:29 pm

A new trilogy entirely directed by Johnson has been announced. Star Wars will get boring soon for me I think.

EDIT: they also announced a TV series.

Waiting 5 years for any kind of news about Shin Eva feels so much better now, the other side of the spectrum is just sad.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Here's the announcement:

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

I mean...holy shit. They must have tremendous confidence in TLJ for them to give him this deal. Him finishing the film months before the release date and having a particularly smooth production process probably helped too.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:35 pm

So it's a trilogy removed from the "main" story? Neat.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm all on board for more Rian Johnson Star Wars, but a whole trilogy? Wow, that's ambitious. If he's overseeing all three, I have confidence it'll be good. We shall see.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Holy fuck this movie sucked

SPOILER: Show
they kill Luke and put Leia in a coma
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Holy fuck this movie sucked

SPOILER: Show
they kill Luke and put Leia in a coma

It helps if the spoiler tag actually works, just take out the ”=” sign.

Anyway, read the spoilers for the movie online, and yeah, that all happened. Maybe seeing it will make it better, but I'm definitely afraid for JJ's Ep IX

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:It helps if the spoiler tag actually works, just take out the ”=” sign.

Anyway, read the spoilers for the movie online, and yeah, that all happened. Maybe seeing it will make it better, but I'm definitely afraid for JJ's Ep IX

They don't even explain why Rey is so important or her origins.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:They don't even explain why Rey is so important or her origins.

Considering JJ is helming IX, and Lost's bs ending, we'll probably never know.

And another thing
say what?  SPOILER: Show
That whole Luke fights Kylo via Force telepresence seems like the writer's are watching too much STD, which is something I never thought I'd have to say.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Considering JJ is helming IX, and Lost's bs ending, we'll probably never know.

And another thing
say what?  SPOILER: Show
That whole Luke fights Kylo via Force telepresence seems like the writer's are watching too much STD, which is something I never thought I'd have to say.

I honestly think that that was their explanation for why Ben Kenobi died the way he did in A New Hope. Like his real body wasn't there in the fight.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:45 am

Today I had a lesson until 10:45 AM, I literally run away from univerity to make it to the theater at 11:00 AM for the first showing of the day. I almost bumped a car on the way and I was 10 minute late but the first 20 minutes were adverts so I was on time.

I'll start with the negatives: Rey is SO BORING, literally everything she does is either a deja vu or simply uninteresting; Phasma is again utterly useless and the movie is way too long, the climax is basically 20-30 minutes before the end.

The positives: it's not so much of a copy of Empire, it does is own thing even if it still follow a similar progression; Kylo Ren is the best character in Star Wars (prequel, original, sequel); Finn and random asian character have a fun adventure. Luke has been threated nicely.

Spoilers on actual events in the movie  SPOILER: Show
Leia using the force while floating in space was totally random, she became Snyder's Superman. Kylo Ren killing Snoke and Rei's parents being no one important were some great developments, the whole "let's destroy the old" thing was spot on, Episode IX should be all new stuff now. Too bad they chose Abrams.

The Luke thing was surprising, I thought he died while being shot by the AT-AT and then fighted as a ghost, but he was a ghost all along.

Overall I liked it more than Episode 7 because it dared to be different, I was actually surprised during the climax fight, with Episode 7 I wasn't really surprised by the events, it was just "solid".

Thankfully no one was clapping or cheering when characters showed up for the first time.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Do they show the farmers, or is it just something bad guy number one says?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Do they show the farmers, or is it just something bad guy number one says?

Are you talking about Rey?

Major spoilers  SPOILER: Show
Snoke connects Rey and Ren minds using the force a bunch of times (they are unaware it's Snoke doing until right before he gets killed by Kylo Ren) and the last time they do have their minds connected they touch hands: Rei saw Ren's future (he will be converted from the dark side), Ren saw Rei's past (she was abandoned from her drunken parents for some money). The visions were just narrated by the characters so maybe Ren lied, but so far that's the explaination.

Return to “Film and Video”