Why didn't Mari and Sakura blame Shinji for NTI?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Why didn't Mari and Sakura blame Shinji for NTI?

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:16 am

View Original Postairman4 wrote:Oh BOY
Anno uploaded a selfie on Instagram and wrote something in Japanese about 3.0+1.0
https://www.instagram.com/p/BblkUqXnMJx/

source
https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/com ... and_wrote/

I think this should be in a different thread.

Anno uploading a rearview-mirror selfie, huh?

SPOILER: Show
IS HE TRYING TO TELL US THAT THE RELEASE OF 3.0 + 1.0 IS CLOSER THAN IT APPEARS??????
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:22 am

^

What Anno wrote is pretty much "here's a selfie I took while I was researching material for 3.0+1.0".

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 am

stillborn wrote: You speak my toughts with much greater eloquence than my frothing frustration could ever produce. I would tell you to keep up the fight but i don't want to burden you with breaking walls with your head :P

I've been through a lot! Later I put the full theory for you see.

pwhodges wrote: There are plenty of places where this is strongly disputed - here for one.

I was being very specific of the comments be about the spin off. However, the first mention that it was Shinji's subconscious desires that awakened the Eva and destroyed the world and that he was being punished for speaking some nonsense in a moment of anger born here. In other places where Q was commented most people neither gave themselves the trouble to ask the mechanics of the impact. The verdict was simpler: Shinji is the only culprit.

In the case of the original theme of Sakura and Mari and the guilt of Shinji I think it depends on the official version that Nerv and Seele told the public. I think they put all the blame on the pilot and exempted the Evas from any guilt. The Evas would still be needed to fight the last two angels. Shinji was absorbed and therefore was not more important. So do the math: Eva is an innocent machine and the pilot is the trigger of evil, when in fact Eva is an armed bomb waiting to explode and it has always been this way.

one-eyed wrote: I always question everything.

pwhodges wrote: You make it sound as if you think there's no one else who does.

Again, I was being specific. I was comparing myself to Shinji: he never questioned the how and why of the impacts, simply accepted blindly that it was all his fault and his sin. If the much less dramatic situation of the car incident that I mentioned before had happened what would be your verdict? Was he guilty or a victim? What would have been his sin? What punishment would this "monster" deserve? Do you still think he deserves punishment?

Guy Nacks wrote: IS HE TRYING TO TELL US THAT THE RELEASE OF 3.0 + 1.0 IS CLOSER THAN IT APPEARS??????

joseki wrote: What Anno wrote is pretty much "here's a selfie I took while I was researching material for 3.0+1.0".

I doubt it. I think he sensed that he made a stupid comment after Shin Godzilla. When he was invited to direct and write the project he acted correctly and valued himself by saying that he was totally absorbed in the fourth film. After the release he began to say that he was afraid to accept, that he was afraid of not being up to the task, that he was depressed again and wanted to give up the last film in the series. That touched Eva fans, but it must have driven away several investors, especially after saying that Anime will end. He backpedaled on that last statement and must have regretted the other claims because he should know that not many people like to fund and work with a bipolar diva.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:09 pm

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:That touched Eva fans, but it must have driven away several investors, especially after saying that Anime will end. He backpedaled on that last statement and must have regretted the other claims because he should know that not many people like to fund and work with a bipolar diva.

I'm almost positive that Khara has enough money to fully fund 3.0 + 1.0 themselves without the need for outside investors for the following reasons:

-Anno has the rights to royalties from NGE (He also sued Gainax to get $900,000 that they owed him in unpaid royalties recently).

-Khara has made big profits from the release of all the rebuild films thus far.

-Khara sells tons of merchanside.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 am

I know that, even the Martians must have seen and bought Evangelion merchandise!

I'm referring to other projects like Shin Godzilla! I'm sure Anno is looking forward to another opportunity and would drop 3.0 + 1.0 immediately if they offered other projects. Do you think Anno would reject an Ultraman movie? He would abandon the boat without hesitation! I even want this to happen to prove my point! The problem is that he has complicated himself with his own statements, at which point he follows his mentor Hayao Miyazaki to the letter.

P.S: We will end up taking a reprimand if we continue to discuss it here! Let's switch to the original theme

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 am

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:I'm referring to other projects like Shin Godzilla! I'm sure Anno is looking forward to another opportunity and would drop 3.0 + 1.0 immediately if they offered other projects. Do you think Anno would reject an Ultraman movie? He would abandon the boat without hesitation! I even want this to happen to prove my point!

To be fair, Anno made SG because his schedule was free - he was taking a break from Eva due to the depression relapse he suffered while making 3.0. And even then, he declined Toho’s offer at first.

(Also, can we just appreciate the fact that while taking a break from a depressing project like Eva, Anno made a film where an entire family is killed onscreen and Tokyo is set ablaze by a creature that’s going through an existential crisis and has severe depression itself?)
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 am

I read the two versions: Anno valuing himself saying that he was totally focused on the fourth movie and another that he was thinking of giving up and that he was afraid of not doing a good job with SG. I always thought Anno was bipolar, it must be very strange to oscillate between believing that he is the Übermensch and a bag of shit.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 am

^
Quoting Kerrigan from first Starcaft: "We think the same thing."

Or to be specific, we have similiar opinion of "Master Anno" :P
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 am

Everyone already knows about Anno's depression, but I always thought this was just a symptom of his illness: Bipolar Affective Disorder (BAD), also known as manic depression. In an interview, he seems insanely confident, even arrogant (the presentation of the NTE project), in another, he is saying that his wife and Miyazaki persuaded him not to kill himself.

One time, he, angry, says that Eva fans have to grow and in the same interview he starts to whine and say he could have done a better job.

I read an interview with him in which he recounts his encounter with a fangirl. The girl says she wanted to work in the same area as him. Anno begins to whine and say that she did not know of the terrible sacrifices he made.

In Shin Godzilla's interviews at one point, he says he almost did not because of his dedication to Eva's fourth film and in another said that he wanted to give up everything and was afraid of the responsibility of directing and writing a Godzilla movie.

And finally when he decreed the end of the anime for five years (he even gave deadline!) And then backpedaling stating he was misunderstood.

Bipolar illness swings a person from hyperactive manic states into depressive crashes. Occasionally, both states can exist at once, inspiring a mood of exuberant melancholy ("The terrible sacrifices that he made for the anime!"),agitated rage (Eva's fans have to grow!) or magnanimous self-deprecation (Anno says he could have done a better job or that people had to convince him not to kill himself). Manic states tend to spark impulsive behavior, unrealistic expectations, and intense passions; depression saps energy, crushes selfesteem, and grinds motivation and confidence into black paste.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”