Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:53 am

Godzilla 1985 has one thing over the Japanese version, and that is participation from at least one member of the 1950's production. Toho wanted Ishiro Honda to direct, but since the Japanese studio system finally ended, Honda didn't feel any need to direct a film in a series he said should have ended when Eiji Tsuburaya died in 1970. Akira Ifukube also turned down the project, saying that Godzilla should have only been seen as a commentary on nuclear weapons, and that the series should have never gone into the sci-fi comedy genre in the first place. (He would return after Toho reused his old musical score for Godzilla vs Biollante.) No one still living from the original Godzilla movie wanted to lend a hand in Godzilla's reboot film in the 80's. No one, that is, except for perhaps the most influential non-Japanese adult Godzilla fan at the time: Raymond Burr.

Let's be clear here; Raymond Burr didn't need to be featured in Godzilla 1985 for monetary purposes. His agent and close friends at the time all expected him to flatly turn down the offer from a low-budget production house to reprise his role at Steve Martin. He was now a household-name actor, and able to demand more money from better productions, such as the newer Perry Mason movies. But, in his own words to Tom Shales of The Washington Post, Raymond Burr explains his decision to reprise both Steve Martin and Perry Mason in the 80's.
When they asked me to do it a second time, I said, 'Certainly,' and everybody thought I was out of my mind. But it wasn't the large sum of money. It was the fact that, first of all, I kind of liked 'Godzilla,' and where do you get the opportunity to play yourself 30 years later? So I said yes to both of them.

So Raymond Burr was hired on to the American version of Godzilla's reboot film, and immediately started dictating what was and what wasn't appropriate for their Americanization of the film. He single-handedly saved the movie from becoming nonsensical dubbing farce. He is given a "do-nothing" role, and yet it is the one of the best parts of the entire movie. (His soliloquy at the end of the film, dare I say, is more powerful than anything in the original Japanese production, and his role as a whole even seemed to predict where the future of the Japanese productions were going.) This is the only man working on this film who was involved with the birth of Godzilla as an international phenomenon, and his contributions to Godzilla 1985 are incalculable. May God rest is beautiful, passionate soul.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:43 am

The biggest missed opportunity in Toho's history is their failure to give Raymond Burr a role in the original version of a Godzilla film.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:34 pm

I just rented Shin Godzilla from Netflix and watched it today. I must say that it has some Evangelion influence in it, like the use of its theme music during a military operation, and the sound effects like the giant's thunderous footstep and the exlposions of missiles upon impact. Mr. Anno really puts himself in his own films. It also seems to have gone old school (the old 50s Godzilla roar and theme music from the first one.)

I think it's a pretty good film, Anno has done well with it. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to make a crossover with two of his works (Godzilla vs. EVA).
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:56 pm

New trailer for the Godzilla anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwAbBI0r5o

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:19 pm

That's... really doesn't look very good at all. As in, visually. It just seems ugly and cheap.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:45 pm

To be fair, I had a hard time visualizing this film in my at at all. So, finally seeing it is rather... nice. I dunno. There's so many potentially cool looking elements in the trailer, but they're just all mashed together in a very messy hodge-podge. It doesn't strike me as a visually cohesive aesthetic.

Also, why is the trailer interlaced? Screens that are typically attached to the internet don't usually work that way anymore.

EDIT: That song was bangin' though.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:02 am

idk maybe the actual movie will be different but it looks like they decided to create Godzilla by taking a toy and rotoscoping it without changing the pose.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:08 am

Yeah, that didn't look very good at all. It's really close to release date, though, so it might be one of those things where the DVD release looks better than the theatrical release.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:18 pm

It looks like a video game cut scene. Crazy to think there's gonna be three of these.

Hopefully the story is good but unless it really narratively blows things out of the water I'm still keeping the mindset this only exists as a placeholder due to the contract Toho signed with Legendary preventing them from doing another live action Godzilla movie until after the Adam Wingard directed Godzilla Vs. Kong get released in 2020.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Well this trailer came out of nowhere.

RAMPAGE starring the Rock

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9reTM2poGQs

I can't believe this isn't connected to the Warner Brothers monsterverse. This would be a perfect entry for it. But hey if all else fails at least looks like there's going to be a bit more emotional investment in this movie than Godzilla and Skull Island.

And it's based on a video game? Hmmmm. Now I'm skeptical all over again. Also I feel this trailer is giving away too much of the plot.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 am

Godzilla: Mobile Battle City*

*Rough translation
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 am

Hmm.
Interesting.
So Anime Godzilla Part 2 comes out May 2018 huh?
That sure looks like a MechaGodzilla.

(I guess first responses to the Anime Godzilla movie should be online & will get translated in the next few days)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:19 pm

FYI: First of the three Godzilla Anime movies comes to Netflix on January 17th. Two months after theatrical release.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:43 pm

I'm kinda looking forward to it, if only because it's a new Godzilla movie. Trailers still have me feeling not great about the whole film's aesthetic, but it's a wild and new take on the big guy, so I'll be there.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Unsurprisingly, it's bad.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:06 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:That's... really doesn't look very good at all. As in, visually. It just seems ugly and cheap.

I wouldn't have said ugly but I'm really not a fan of all computer generated look because its blocky and in my view doesn't suit anime characters that well I think it would have been better if they'd made the characters look more like the regular anime ones who feel more hand drawn and stuck with digital backgrounds only.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:08 am

I liked it.

I'm not saying it's good. The characters are disposable, the sci-fi tech is bland, the revenge plot is basic, the film's core animation aesthetic is trash, and even Godzilla's visual design leaves a lot to be desired. But it's a fresh and unexplored concept of the G-Zilla in a true Godzilla movie. So, yeah. I like it. I'm clearly biased in my opinion, though. I mean, I've even grown to like Godzilla's Revenge after a while, and that movie is objectively hot garbage.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Godzilla would definitely beat the evas. I've known the big g for years, and i can tell you that he is immune to bullets, can regenerate, and even destroy the entire planet let alone not sufffer a single scratch from being hit point-blank by a meteor
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:51 pm

I just bought Anno's Godzilla. It's gonna be a few days before the disc gets here.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:03 pm

You're in for a treat if you haven't seen it, it's brilliant.

I watched the anime last night. It was... direct to video quality. The premise was really interesting, actually, but the characters were not.

Also whoever did the subtitles did a really, uh, awkward job with it.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”