NGE2: Alternate Outcome Translations [3I, Etc.]

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 05, 2015 9:26 am

I don't think I ever did translate that Gendo ending in full. Guess if I'm feeling bored one day I can give it a shot.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Wed May 06, 2015 12:04 pm

So I watched Gendo's good ending and compared with the EoE scripts, and the exchange between Gendo and Rei is actually verbatim with the EoE scripts, right up until it fades to NERV HQ, and new information is revealed. To make it easier, here are the only screenshots that are worth translating for Gendo's good ending (other than the exchange with Yui at the end [Sailor Star Dust, "'I can't even remember how long I've waited to see you again' or something to that effect. He thanks Yui for everything."]). Translating these screenshots will probably tell us what actually happens during Gendo's version of Instrumentality.

Screenshots:
SPOILER: Show
Last edited by cody727kirby on Wed May 06, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 06, 2015 1:10 pm

1) "High energy reaction from Terminal Dogma!", blah blah.
2) Same as other endings, "Only the human souls flow across the Earth's surface in a precarious drift."
3) "Eventually the souls of humanity head for Eva-01, as if Lilith is guiding them."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Wed May 06, 2015 1:36 pm

Many thanks, Reichu! Was getting frustrated trying to transcribe and translate these screenshots, with little to no Japanese knowledge, lol. Much appreciated.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 06, 2015 3:20 pm

View Original Postcody727kirby wrote:And thank you for all your contributions btw, it's a great source of information :)

You're very welcome! There are so many little things I wish I could translate for EGF, but life/time has been getting more and more busy for me... -o-;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Fulaw1970
Embryo

Re: NGE2: Alternate Outcome Translations [3I, Etc.]

•      
  •      

Postby Fulaw1970 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 am

Thnaks for translation, i had issues to understnand many of them by my self!!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:46 pm

Gendo's endings are finally translated. Enjoy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 08, 2019 7:04 pm

You are doing the lord's work with these!
after spending so much time thinking i would never see them

SPOILER: Show
The alternate Leliel scenes are salient as heck

I particularly liked the plot twists/ implications about Adam's and Lillith's pre-reincarnatio personalities.
Like in these scenarios Rei and Kaworu can actually get the full story on them... and it's not this harmonious, wholesome, definitive liberating divine thing that is often pushed as the One True Interpretation at all.

Both compare them sorta compare both their Spol counterparts and the FAR to their human creators (Seele and Gendo respectively) and its like yet another different crapsandwich of predestination and identity crisis on top of the "angel among humans"/"Doomsday button"/"eva pilot" ones.
I mean when it comes down to it Lillith is also a terraforming device.
One nice detail is that Adam wrote the Dead See Scrolls
So Kaworu picked up his vague philosophic way of talking from SEELE who kinda sorta got it from adam

The line with Gendo telling Rei that he wants to guarantee her a long life in instrumentalityland is also interesting - it's definitely, as Rei correctly surmises, a diversion (why'd he make her a barely viable creature hybrid in the first place?), but its probably what he tells himself to sleep at night. - this would go with my headcanon that Rei probably knows fairly little about Yui.

Lillith isn't actually all that maternal (or she is but not in a straighforward way), views humans as incomplete and actually thinks instrumentality is a good idea.
...all the plot twists i had planned for my fic are gonna seem unoriginal now but its my own fault for taking years to finish it. then again plenty of peeps had it figured out since the equivalent of episode 4, at this point i wonder if i should just wait for 4.0

My little LRS heart was also happy at various points (and broken, but that comes with the job)
I also appreciate how Rei II's parting with Gendo is not quite the same as her EoE counterpart's. She goes her own path but differently.
I don't think one way is necessarily more 'right' than the other.

The ending for Rei's scenario really surprised me in that she actually walks out.
Seems compatible with the "best ending" actually though there's a clear implication that she probably won't have that much time left (heck, she might not even make to wherever Shinji is, a la 'Lady of Shallot') but so far i was under the empression that she goes through with the merger and self-destructs albeit for sentimental reasons.
She actually ends with telling Lillith that "I am not you", too, which is surely how I read things, but with how accepted the opposite reading is I was never 100% sure if I wasn't deluding myself there

I always wanted to know what exactly gets Kaworu to turn around in that one ending. Just before that theres a scene where they almost reverse each others places as to who lets whom go, though yeah, Shinji was never going to do that.
I wonder if all the people bein like "This is how the show should have ended!" in the comments realize that they wouldn't be getting half as emotional over this if he didn't die in canonland

Another interesting gem were the bridge bunnies' instrumentality sequences

Also I like the implication that Gendo basically gets his personal "worst end", or something much similar, in the EoE timeline. Poor him, but what can I say, he brought it onm himself.
Though I suppose this one is a tad worse - the dialogue with Kaworu at the end is kinda identical to the Seele ending, and the apparitions at the end were a tad more sympathetic at the end, I mean in EoE Kaworu, Yui and even Rei were mostly like "Poor Devil" - Here Yui calls him on his parenting fail (for all that that would be the pot calling the kettle black)

In the "good" one he' like "Wow Yui, thanks to you I was 'optimistic' enough to consider destroying humanity slightly less thoroughly!' What would he consider cynical then?

Kensuke's scenario would imply that they DID stockpile the all mothers fr5om class II-A (So I was possibly wrong there) - that Mr. Aida was basically approached and pressured after Mrs. Aida had some sort of lethal accident. Kensuke comes off as naive but heroic, like, he transistions from "it would be cool" to "I can't let these strangers mess with my mom's soul and just count myself lucky because my friends drew the short sticks"
its pretty jarring how the happy classroom music keeps playing after Toujis demise

also im surprised that no one has related any Asuka related stuff yet

Also, who knew that Kensuke liked Banana bread?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”