Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Well they moved the embargo up a couple days. That's good news.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm expecting 'X-Men Apocalypse' levels of reception. it gets a 50-40% on the tomato meter. There are a few 'awesome moments' in it that people like (people went to Apocalypse purely for the Quicksilver scene), that make people give it the benefit of a doubt.

I hope.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:00 pm

That image of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is most certainly salvageable.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Critics are being allowed to express opinions on Twitter. No reviews for a while thought I think.

Consensus seems to be the movie is actually fun. Has a lot of issues - story is a complete mess, the villain is an absolute bore, the reshoots are glaringly obvious - BUT it mostly works because the cast of heroes play off each other well & they've stopped force feeding "gritty darkness" down the audience's throat.

So that's a pleasant surprise.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:37 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm

No, you can't tell a Logan type story with Superman.

You can tell a story about a heroic sacrifice, sure. You can tell a story about Superman facing the end of his life and making choices to define his legacy. You can tell a story about Superman confronting a world whose ideals are changing, and so on, and so forth. They don't look like Logan. They look like All-Star Superman and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Wolverine is a vastly different character. You couldn't make Logan with Superman anymore than you could make Logan with a perfect man who came from the sky to do only good.

I mean, I'd get it if you wanted a more serious exploration of Superman coming to a modern, 2010's era Earth and how the cynical post-9/11 world would deal with him. I'd watch a movie where Superman tries to bring hope to the Irony Generation who use postmodernist detachment from everything to escape the crushing reality of a declining West and and uncertain future, but Logan with Superman slotted in just sounds like a terrible movie.

Superman is just the worst character to try to make dark and gritty. It's like making Santa Claus dark and gritty. It's not who he is.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Things have become incredibly muddled and been put in all or nothing terms.
So that there is no confusion.
I have never asked for a "dark & gritty" Superman film. I don't want a Logan toned Superman film.
I have probably misused the term dark before when describing what I want.
I maintain Mos & Bvs are not such.
And there is a critical difference between making Clark himself dark & gritty and inserting Clark onto a realistic earth that will inevitably be dark & gritty at times to see how he interacts with such a world.

I just want a played completely straight & seriously handled Superman film with no outright silliness in regards to how they portray the sci-fi elements of his mythos, his powers & his visual design.
Handle it like JJ Abram's Trek handled it's style, with a sleek cool authenticity.

That is absolutely do-able while still being faithful to "who the character is".
Superman Tas for example was more serious then not most of the time and was rarely all that comedic besides Lois's banter, that is the balance I want.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:05 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:00 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:At least this way we'll get movies about DC characters other than Batman.

Absolutely, so excited for Aquaman, sad it's a whole year away with no other Dceu films inbetween.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:04 pm

I've got high hopes for Aquaman as well. And I have zero knowledge of the character outside of the obvious jokes - he talks to fish who have nothing interesting to say & James Cameron directed the original Vince Chase version. James Wan has grown into a fine commercial director. Both of the two The Conjuring movies are far better than they really should be. I'm curious to see what he'll do.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I've got high hopes for Aquaman as well. And I have zero knowledge of the character

If interested I recommend you read Geoff Johns's new 52 run on him, the new 52 in general has it's problems but people pretty universally agree Aquaman was done right during it.
They address the jokes in a meta way in the 1st issue but thankfully don't dwell on it.
Gorgeous artwork by Ivan Reis.
SPOILER: Show

Graphic novel list for it is...
Vol. 1: The Trench (#1-6)
Vol. 2: The Others (#7-13)
Vol. 3: Throne of Atlantis (#0 & 14-16 + Justice League #15-17)
After that Johns leaves and the book is still solid but not quite as great.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:32 pm

The dude wants out. You don't talk about a "cool way to segue out" unless you've already got one foot out the door:

https://www.moviefone.com/2017/11/13/ben-affleck-on-batman-exit-i-want-to-find-a-graceful-and-cool-segue/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 am

I think the funniest thing about Zack Snyder is how every one has pointed out that in Justice League his amazon outfits have suddenly become over sexualized and its almost like he thinks that Amazons in modern day can deflect bullets with there ripped abs even though in the Woman woman movie it clearly showed that if they get shot through there tasteful yet still attractive hoplite armour with bullets they can die. Hence in modern day they would need more not less armour to deal with harder weapons. Just couldn't believe him and the studio could make such a rookie mistake as this kind of outfit reminds me of the 90's back when Xena was a hit tv show but it's not liked as much any more and is very open to backlash.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/justice-leagues-sexy-amazon-costumes-create-uproar/
https://www.out.com/popnography/2017/11/13/course-justice-league-tried-making-wonder-woman-amazon-outfits-sexy
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 am

The Amazonian bikini models are a truly awful idea that reeks of Zack Snyder, but with Joss Whedon also in the mix I'm waiting until I see all of the bare feet before finalizing my complaints.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 am

The exposed belly outfits are from the flashbacks with Steppenwolf's first invasion back in ancient times.
You see in the trailer when he invades in modern day, they have their WW movie outfits. The pic of them with the Batmobile is just a BTS production still, they aren't actually going to interact with the league.
Look at the difference between the colonial & modern Kryptonian outfits and you will realize them making sure to differentiate between the different eras of these races has been a consistent aspect of these films.
Colonial...
Modern

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The Amazonian bikini models are a truly awful idea that reeks of Zack Snyder

No it really doesn't when you consider the outfit makers on Man of Steel asked him should they try & sexualize Faora or try and lean towards practicality and he chose practicality.

Sucker Punch is the ONLY film of his that he made a point to sexy up his characters and with that film he was trying to go for a outlandish anime tribute vibe were such is completely appropriate.

Also reminder... the Spartans in 300 had more exposed then these new Amazons do.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:You see in the trailer when he invades in modern day, they have their WW movie outfits.

See...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:No it really doesn't when you consider the outfit makers on Man of Steel asked him should they try & sexualize Faora or try and lean towards practicality and he chose practicality.

I just said they were awful. I did not say that they were sexy. (Because they’re not.)

Also reminder... the Spartans in 300 had more exposed then these new Amazons do.

That’s partially how I knew it reeked of Snyder and not of Whedon.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

The Spartans in 300 are from Miller’s designs which intentional evoke the heroic nude of Greek pottery designs.

I don’t feel like writing the essay so I’ll summarize: The same thing can have contextual meaning. Naked yelling Spartan warriors project power, half naked Amazon warriors are reduced to their sexiness.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:02 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The Spartans in 300 are from Miller’s designs which intentional evoke the heroic nude of Greek pottery designs.

I don’t feel like writing the essay so I’ll summarize: The same thing can have contextual meaning. Naked yelling Spartan warriors project power, half naked Amazon warriors are reduced to their sexiness.

That's spot on and Xena Warrior Princess only got away with it because it had time to build it's characters through out the series and stared well clear of leering objectified shots and the amazon talking was always a human being not a sex object and that was made really clear in every episode but movies do not have time to do this kind of character deep building due to time limits hence it can become really problematic if you have no character built up behind the sexualized outfit.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 pm

A cool HD JL gif...

New JL Mera pic... :boingy:

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Naked yelling Spartan warriors project power, half naked Amazon warriors are reduced to their sexiness.

That may have been true if they were thin super model types but the majority of them are fully jacked and therefor absolutely project power.
Maybe for you people it "reduces" them, that's your problem but for me it's a addition, its just adds one more thing to like about a character, I pity you guys on this matter.
Many of them flat out look more imposing to me with their abs exposed then covered. And bellys/abs aren't inherently sexual and most casual movie goers/normies aren't attracted to muscular women regardless.

Return to “Film and Video”