Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:06 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Furthermore, the internet wasn't this giant slaying hype-killing machine ten or even five years ago like it is today.

Maybe we just expect more from our entertainment?

Although, smart, well-made films like Blade Runner 2049 flopping are one of the primary reasons why we can't have nice things.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Disney's attempt to buy Fox is not happening (they want the AVATAR sequels). Talks fell through.
Which is for the best.
Monopolies are bad for business AND worse for consumers.
Any small gains in "Oh joy, we get to see a weightless CG Wolverine have a weightless CG fight with Hulk" will quickly be replaced with Disney screwing you over however they can because what else are you gonna do? Go watch Assassins Creed 2: Assassins Creedier?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Agreed. While I would love to see the Fantastic Four end up back at Marvel one day. Nobody and I mean NOBODY wants the entire film industry to be an arm of the all encompassing all powerful satanic force that is the Walt Disney Corp.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Ideally Fox would just do the Fantastic Four right. I mean, it’s not gonna happen, but still...

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I'm one of the ten people on planet earth who actually liked Indy 4.

Same.
Only 2 problems in it for me...
- Shia swinging on vines like a half assed Tarzan.
- Fridge survival.

I actively liked that they went with pulpy sci-fi instead of supernatural in this go around. Cate was a damn good villain.
The mystery of the skulls is very errie & effective, moment when Indy just baffled turns to Mud and says... "what is this thing?" is chilling.
I get people not liking Shia being shoved down our throats all at once but I think he was good in this, see the scene were he goes into Oxley's mental institution cell and briefly falls into despair at his grandfather figure's state.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:12 pm

My objection to Indy 4 is that it's full of good ideas that are lazily or poorly executed. A movie with Indy facing aliens with Cate Bkanchette as a psychic Russian dominatrix has no right to suck as badly.

If you leave out a bunch of details and just rattle off the basic plot it sounds okay. The problem is forcing Marion and Mutt and Fat Betrayal Man into the script. Also, all those OSS adventures sound amazing. I'd rather they recast the role of Indy and make movies about that.

I wish they'd produced the supposed "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars" script Darabont worked on.

Also I doubt Disney was after any specific property. The more rights they own the more they can choke off Netflix. If they had all the movies Fox owns the distribution rights to, it would be a big blow to Netflix. It seems clear now that Disney wants more than a Disney channel streaming service with iCarly and Frozen. They want to crush Netflix.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 pm

SPOILER: Show

I had expected that buzz to have lasted a while longer. I heard the news earlier, and like you, I was on the fence about it. Now it doesn't matter, and the entire prospect has been a tease. I really would have loved that concept of the F4 merging in from another universe. Oh well.

The Fox has escaped, Lord Disney. But it's never too late to target Sony. :devil:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Don't give them ideas.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:27 pm

I could actually see Sony spinning off and selling their studios.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:13 pm

:facepalm: :lastresort:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Holy Scheiße, this movie is finally looking fun to watch, even if only for dissecting the editing.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Let’s give it a fair shake.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Like you guys gave BVS and MOS a 'fair shake'?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:05 pm

I'm going to lock this thread if the quality doesn't improve immediately. Enough image macros and blind links, and Ray, stop making things personal.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Let’s give it a fair shake.

Thank you for this gesture.
View Original PostRay wrote:Like you guys gave BVS and MOS a 'fair shake'?

As a friend, be cool, if you let them know they have ticked you off, they win.
View Original PostSachi wrote:I'm going to lock this thread if the quality doesn't improve immediately.

Understood.

Throwing a idea out there, if Denis Villeneuve wanted to do a smaller budgeted film in between 2049 and his Dune movie, I think he would make for the ideal director for a new Shadow movie. Him or Cary Fukunaga (true detective s1).

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 am

Let's not rewrite history.
Man of Steel was more than given its fair shake. MOS was a well marketed movie with a fabulous cast of talented actors - Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe, Michael Shannon & a new guy who looked great as Superman - & Christopher Nolan's name was all over the marketing as it being "From the mind of the Director of The Dark Knight Trilogy." Anticipation for the movie was very high pre-release. The first trailer - the one where they sold MOS as a Terrence Malick like Superhero film - was one of the most successful film advertisements in recent history. Pre-release talk was very good. Regrettably, the movie in question turned out to morally ugly, devoid of color, tonally uneven & more preoccupied with creating giant set-pieces than with actually telling a story about a central character. Enjoying the film is okay but you can't rewrite history to fit your narrative. I love Evangelion 3.0 but I won't argue that the film intentionally upset a lot of people by twisting expectations.

BVS not getting a fair shake pre-release is an acceptable argument though.

Anywho, this isn't Twitter. We talk with each other in other threads so there is no "Us Vs. Them".

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:29 pm

The trailers for MoS and Suicide Squad make me want to see Superman and Suicide Squad movies made by the people who created the trailers instead of the movies themselves.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Alright. Lets pop the hood to this mother effer and see if theres anything can be done to salvage it.

Return to “Film and Video”