What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 22648
Joined: Aug 21, 2004

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:49 am

I guess the point I inadvertently made is that I should have double-checked what my memory was telling me before asking you to waste your time.

dexissex111
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 01, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby dexissex111 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 am

I didn't like how much of a bitch Asuka was yea you had a tragic backstory but it did get a bit too much at times

Asuka'sBigBrother
Adam
Posts: 87
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Hmmm.
The masturbation scene and the corresponding dialogue at the end of the movie.

A. For the scene itself:

Simply put, it distracts from the story and the narrative themes was going for. I get they wanted to have Shinji do something terrible to Asuka, but that was already handled with him strangling her. Or him perceiving he's hurt her by failing to save her.

Not to mention there's better ways to "hurt someone" like...

1. Physically trying to force Asuka awake by strangling her(which would have also been a fantastic parallel for the ending)

2. Violently shaking her awake

The act of masturbation while totally messed up and sh!t, only hurts her because she ends up melding with Shinji's mind. If the point is "love is destructive", shouldn't that hold true regardless of whether external forces are causing Asuka and Shinji to mind meld?

It also seems out of place as perversion was never a developed part of Shinji's character. The story being told otherwise never makes any mention of this. If you want perversion to be part of Shinji's internal struggles, then you should probably touch upon this somewhere through the duration of the series first.


But honestly, while it seems out of place to me, it's not like it affects the rest of the story in any real way.

b. My main issue is the ending dialogue, "how disgusting" or "I feel sick":

The first problem is that when you are watching the movie, unless you happen to hear Asuka's voice actor explain what it was referring to, you'd think it was referring to Shinji crying, instrumentality in general, or just some characteristic snark to endear the viewer. The masturbation scene has already been followed up by Asuka during instrumentality. How's the viewer supposed to know it's specifically in reference to Shinji's masturbation?

The second problem, it detracts from the ending. You're brining up a scene that happened several scenes ago, and already was followed up and reflected on several scenes ago. This line doesn't belong in the ending and distorts and confuses whatever. You don't need to tell us they've hurt each other, you've just dedicated a significant amount of screen time specifically highlighting that during instrumentality. We just saw Asuka kick Shinji down, Shinji choke Asuka, him do it again, and then Shinji cry like a baby. We see them hurt each other multiple times, there's no need to tell us that again.

Sometimes less is more, and frankly I think just letting the movie end without dialogue would have been more powerful than adding some complication you've already gone in length about.

RamielBestGirl
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 31, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby RamielBestGirl » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Too much unnecessary, cringey sexual humor in the first half of the series. The entire opening of episode 7 was pretty bad. Having some sexual themes works for developing Shinji but a fair amount of the time it was just needless "comedy". I think this is my only real complaint about the series as of right now, really, though I still need to reconcile some stuff about EoE. But that'll probably take me years to do.

I also really fucking hated Kensuke but that's objectively irrational and not a flaw of the series. Dude just annoyed me.

And I wish Toji had died at the end of episode 18 for maximum impact, or at least had fallen into a state of catatonia from the sheer trauma of what happened to him. For a 14-year-old guy who dealt with the feeling of having his entire head smashed and his body torn open for something he hated to begin with, he recovered too quickly.

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2830
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Gender: Male

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:30 pm

View Original PostRamielBestGirl wrote:And I wish Toji had died at the end of episode 18 for maximum impact, or at least had fallen into a state of catatonia from the sheer trauma of what happened to him. For a 14-year-old guy who dealt with the feeling of having his entire head smashed and his body torn open for something he hated to begin with, he recovered too quickly.


To be fair to Anno, though, he was forbidden from killing any of the children in the series by King Records.

Here's the key excerpt from Schizo/Parano, which was published in '97:
Anno: No, um, I made a certain promise, though I think now I should have broken it. At the very beginning, when [we] drew up the plan [for Eva], [I met] with the producer, from King Records, who told me, "I will approve the plan you submit, whatever it is, because I have faith in you. However, there will be two conditions. The first one is that you will remain with me for five years. You cannot, for example, do a film version with another [producer]. The additional condition is that you will not kill any children. The adults can die, but I don't want children dying." Because of that condition I couldn't kill [Toji].


Sadamoto corrected this in the manga version, though.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

RamielBestGirl
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 31, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby RamielBestGirl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:02 am

Yeah, I did hear about that (though hadn't heard the quote directly, thanks for sharing it) so I just kinda internally pretend he did die.

silvermoonlight
Leliel
Leliel
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:52 am

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:Hmmm.
The masturbation scene and the corresponding dialogue at the end of the movie.

A. For the scene itself:

Simply put, it distracts from the story and the narrative themes was going for. I get they wanted to have Shinji do something terrible to Asuka, but that was already handled with him strangling her. Or him perceiving he's hurt her by failing to save her.

Not to mention there's better ways to "hurt someone" like...

1. Physically trying to force Asuka awake by strangling her(which would have also been a fantastic parallel for the ending)

2. Violently shaking her awake

The act of masturbation while totally messed up and sh!t, only hurts her because she ends up melding with Shinji's mind. If the point is "love is destructive", shouldn't that hold true regardless of whether external forces are causing Asuka and Shinji to mind meld?

It also seems out of place as perversion was never a developed part of Shinji's character. The story being told otherwise never makes any mention of this. If you want perversion to be part of Shinji's internal struggles, then you should probably touch upon this somewhere through the duration of the series first.


I agree with this as there are other ways to hurt people that don't involve sexual acts and in the manga he does try to shake her awake and no sexual acts are involved and its just as traumatic and I won't spoil as you may not have read it yet. Also Shinji's act has a knock on effect because you loose faith in him with in the first few minutes because he's no longer the struggling mentality troubled hero but has crossed a line that villains normally cross in to. They could have still kept this masturbation scene but instead moved it to a bathroom out side Asuka's hosbital room where you might still hear him but not see what he's doing as he's ashamed off it as it still has the same impact but sedated Asuka is not hurt in the process.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Geometer
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Dec 22, 2016

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Geometer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:46 am

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:b. My main issue is the ending dialogue, "how disgusting" or "I feel sick":

The first problem is that when you are watching the movie, unless you happen to hear Asuka's voice actor explain what it was referring to, you'd think it was referring to Shinji crying, instrumentality in general, or just some characteristic snark to endear the viewer. The masturbation scene has already been followed up by Asuka during instrumentality. How's the viewer supposed to know it's specifically in reference to Shinji's masturbation?

The second problem, it detracts from the ending. You're brining up a scene that happened several scenes ago, and already was followed up and reflected on several scenes ago. This line doesn't belong in the ending and distorts and confuses whatever. You don't need to tell us they've hurt each other, you've just dedicated a significant amount of screen time specifically highlighting that during instrumentality. We just saw Asuka kick Shinji down, Shinji choke Asuka, him do it again, and then Shinji cry like a baby. We see them hurt each other multiple times, there's no need to tell us that again.

Sometimes less is more, and frankly I think just letting the movie end without dialogue would have been more powerful than adding some complication you've already gone in length about.


Pretty much very similar to the thoughts I have. EoE is obviously a very "dark" or at least bittersweet movie with extra bitter. We see Shinjij fuck up on a colossal scale and then after much suffering he finally makes a step in the right direction. Showing some hope after all the brutal violence, psychological trauma, and alien imagery that covered most of the movie. But then after this we get beach scene which in of itself is a another mix of mostly grim imagery with a bit of hope (Asuka's caress of Shinji), but the very last line of the movie is a nasty one no matter how you look at it. I mean sure its realistic thing for her to say but its like the movie is saying "there is hope but not really". Which I suppose you can say is the message of the film but the scenes prior where so much more optimistic it doesn't match

Asuka'sBigBrother
Adam
Posts: 87
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 pm

View Original PostGeometer wrote: I mean sure its realistic thing for her to say but its like the movie is saying "there is hope but not really". Which I suppose you can say is the message of the film but the scenes prior where so much more optimistic it doesn't match

IIRC, the voice actor or Anno explained the intent was to connect back to the masturbation scene and to have Asuka's reaction regarding it.

It's worth noting it can also be translated to "I feel sick"

Geometer
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Dec 22, 2016

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Geometer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:06 am

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:IIRC, the voice actor or Anno explained the intent was to connect back to the masturbation scene and to have Asuka's reaction regarding it.

It's worth noting it can also be translated to "I feel sick"

To me the most important evidence is always in the actual work, and Asuka gives Shinji a look of contempt, similar to kitchen scene, as she says this so it doesn't give a positive vib for me

Asuka'sBigBrother
Adam
Posts: 87
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:54 pm

View Original PostGeometer wrote:To me the most important evidence is always in the actual work, and Asuka gives Shinji a look of contempt, similar to kitchen scene, as she says this so it doesn't give a positive vib for me

The actual work is not the same as an interpretation of the actual work.

Regardless, it'snot supposed to give a positive vibe, more a reminder that there's still real issues, I just don't think that reminder was necessary.


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests