Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Star Wars

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm

DarkBluePhoenix wrote:It's because he took the best ST film - Wrath of Khan - and made a very visually striking film...

Well, the obnoxiously bright lens flares were certainly striking, if that's what you mean.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist, but I am genuinely curious as to what parts of Into Darkness were visually striking - I remember the storyboarding being very mediocre and the camera constantly rotating/panning/tracking like it was a randomized pan-and-zoom setting in Windows Movie Maker. There may have been other shots that were interesting, but I legitimately don't remember.)
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:Well, the obnoxiously bright lens flares were certainly striking, if that's what you mean.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist, but I am genuinely curious as to what parts of Into Darkness were visually striking - I remember the storyboarding being very mediocre and the camera constantly rotating/panning/tracking like it was a randomized pan-and-zoom setting in Windows Movie Maker. There may have been other shots that were interesting, but I legitimately don't remember.)

No, the lens flare was just fucking annoying. Thankfully, JJ toned that shit down for TFA, but still left enough there to remind us he'd directed the damn thing.

As for the striking scenes - the entire crash landing sequence with the Vengeance and the sequence at the beginning with the ship (quite unnecessarily) in launching from the ocean. Also the space HELO scene where Kirk and Khan fly through the debris field was pretty well done.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Episode 8 is now completed.

Just a few more months to wait. ^_^

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Mark Hamill posted and has since removed a tweet teasing that the trailer will be dropped Oct 9th during Monday night football.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm

What, Disney is skimping on advertising?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:What, Disney is skimping on advertising?

Yeah that kind of weird since there not broke and can splash out on advertising. :irked:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Because Star War is the ONE brand where the name speaks for itself. Any Star Wars film is gonna make money purely on the brand name alone, so they can afford to be a little bit lax.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:37 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:What, Disney is skimping on advertising?

Whatever do you mean? Monday night football was exactly when the trailer for TFA was dropped. They're doing the same thing.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Remember, Mark Hammill said "Do not watch the trailer unless you want a key plot point of the film spoiled for you".

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:02 pm

It will be hard to not watch it. It's surely going to pop up over the internet as an ad and be on TV 24h/24 7d/7. :rolleyes:

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:43 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Whatever do you mean? Monday night football was exactly when the trailer for TFA was dropped. They're doing the same thing.

Sunday Night Football is seeing a ratings hike, while other time slots see a decline. That's why I said what I said - with slipping ratings, advertising will be cheaper, and its not a new trend. And the mix of Star Wars and football seem odd to me, almost like oil and water. I had roommates in college who knew nothing about sports, and I had to explain football to them using Pokémon as an analogy, which somehow worked.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:59 pm

I imagine the majority of people watch the trailer online anyways. Sports is one of the few reasons to pay for television service these days. Dropping the trailer for sports fans seems like their way to maximize on viewership, but still secondary next to something like Youtube ads. Since online marketing may take priority over television marketing, perhaps they weren't bothered to switch football nights or maybe they considered the differences to negligible.
- Sachi

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 am

Rian Johnson has announced post-production on Ep VIII is wrapped; the movie is complete.

I just want to emphasize once again how amazingly smooth Johnson's production of Ep VIII has gone. JJ was in post-production with VII up until the same month as release; Johnson is done literally months in advance. We've heard concerning news about every director to touch the new Star Wars except Johnson. Han Solo directors fired and replaced three months into filming (although Ron Howard seems to be doing a great job so far), Ep IX director has stepped down, Boba Fett director stepped down and idea scrapped, Rogue One had some issues which needed reshooting. Even JJ clashed with Kathleen Kennedy a bit about VII. However there has not been a word of controversy about Ep VIII's production, except for perhaps Carrie Fisher's passing, which has nothing to do with the director.

I cannot wait for this movie.

Also, the trailer is pretty much all but confirmed for Oct 9th. Stay tuned for that.
- Sachi

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 pm

I swear to God if this movie is just a rehash of EST I will watch it anyway and then probably buy it on digital video and eat sno caps in the theater.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 pm

New Trailer is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY
:emogendo:
Kinda Spoilery...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:20 pm

SPOILER: Show
Finn versus Phasma, yass! Rey joining Kylo? Intriguing! I can't wait. The hype train starts.
- Sachi

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:07 pm

That is certainly a Star War.

I'm indifferent on this series (Look at all that red) as a whole BUT Rian Johnson is by far the best filmmaker and storyteller to ever tackle a movie in this universe (I like Red) so if any Star Wars movie could actually live up to the hype of actually being great (Like I like Red a lot!) - instead of just merely good - it will be this one. So color me (RED!) impressed & interested.

Zeruss
Adam

Postby Zeruss » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:29 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:RED!

SPOILER: Show

Loved the trailer; completely enthralled by the tone and -of course- the color palette which I found gorgeous (and I adore the bizarre penguin things and those crystal foxes; they both kinda look like pokemon, so that's great)--I'm also glad we'll finally get to properly see Mark Hamill again :nyao:
I am, indeed, quite hyped for this film~♡
I'm a lurker at heart.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:02 am

I'm staying spoiler free but I see positive reactions around the internet, so I'm mildly hyped. If there's a director that I trust is Rian Johnson.

Update: Twitter and Facebook are sabotaging my spoiler free policy, there are articles and frames everywhere :irked:

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Feature focusing on Rian directing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgBk2fLLHY

Return to “Film and Video”