Nausicaa - Hideaki Anno Commentary

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Nausicaa - Hideaki Anno Commentary

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Didn't see a thread this would feel appropriate for so:

GKIDS has acquired the US distribution rights for all Ghibli titles from Disney (guess they're okay letting Ghibli go since their hands are full with Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel & Star Wars) and they've gotten to work re-releasing new Blurays editions of most Ghibli features. I've gotten a few with the intention of repurchasing the entire Miyazaki library & I gotta say the GKIDS Blu-rays are perfect! The visual & audio representation is spotless with multiple audio tracks, the packaging is soooo much nicer than the gaudy blue & yellow spines of the Disney releases & you no longer have to skip past a dozen trailers for contemporary Disney releases to get to the clean disc menu. GKIDS is going to be releasing a lot of the Ghibli library & almost all of Miyazaki's body of work (they don't own The Castle of Cagliostro & might be holding off on The Wind Rises for a little longer).

Anywho, I just found out their release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind that comes out on October 31st will include the Japanese audio commentary with the film's assistant director Kazuyoshi Katayama & lead animator HIDEAKI ANNO complete with subtitles.

So yeah, I'll be listening to that. Wanted to share.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Nausicaa - Hideaki Anno Commentary

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 pm

I was wondering if the GKIDS releases were worth buying, since I already have the Disney-labeled releases. Now I know.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:08 pm

I really am considering replacing my 2005 DVD for this, does the Gkids edition also have the same special features as what was on the Disney version?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm probably gonna keep my Disney Spirited Away Blu-ray, even if I do get the GKids one as well. John Lasseter gushing over a Miyazaki movie is too pure for Disney to begin with.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:33 pm

It should be noted that Anno's commentary was recorded just before the original blu-ray was sold, which is to say about 7 years ago. This is just the first opportunity to get an English translation of it. So, don't expect him to drop any hints about Final when this was recorded before even Q was in production.

It should be fascinating, though.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 pm

You'd have to double check online but I think the GKIDS re-releases carry over ALL the extras from the Disney releases but only a special few - Nausicaa & Ponyo for example - actually include new special features. Also, the Princess Mononoke rerelease includes properly translated English subtitles based off the actual Japanese dialogue and not just dub-titles as in the Disney release. I think that's the first time Mononoke will be legally available in the US with a proper translation.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:32 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Anywho, I just found out their release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind that comes out on October 31st will include the Japanese audio commentary with the film's assistant director Kazuyoshi Katayama & lead animator HIDEAKI ANNO complete with subtitles.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:It should be noted that Anno's commentary was recorded just before the original blu-ray was sold, which is to say about 7 years ago. This is just the first opportunity to get an English translation of it.

The translated commentary of Katayama & Anno, as well as the audio interview of Toshio Suzuki and Anno, have previously been included on the 2010 Blu-Ray release of Nausicaa in Australia and New Zealand. I watched the audio interview back in the day, and though I don't believe I watched the commentary, I feel as though I read good things about it here around the time it came out.

If this is the first time that this material has been made available in North America, I do recommend anyone interested picks up a copy (though I admit that the only thing I remember from the audio interview is Anno saying he doesn't eat fish because he is vegetarian - they were having a meal when they did they interview). And besides, Nausicaa is still a very good film, and it sounds and plays beautifully on Blu-ray.
Voluntary Illusion.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 am

I didn't know the blu ray contained those extras, now I'm very interested in it.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:59 pm

The special features are great!

The commentary by Anno & Assistant Director Kazuyoshi Katayama is a delight. Anno basically watches the film & happily comments visually what works in the movie, what he would like to change - shorten a shot here, expand here, stuff that bugs a true filmmaker - all the action scenes here & there he wish he could have animated if he had the time and just how fun it was to make the movie. A great track.

Another treat is the new release includes a 45 minute interview "Nausicaa & Evangelion!" Anno had with Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki recorded in December 2009. It's pretty much 45 unfiltered minutes of Anno's thoughts on his career - he worked part time in college animated Macross for 1800 yen per cut, he was homeless and slept in a 60 cm space between his desk and the wall while animating for Nausicaa for 2 1/2 months - his relationship with Miyazaki - he does consider Miyazaki his mentor, he wasn't crazy about talks of the mentor vs. the apprentice when End of Evangelion & Princess Mononoke both opened in 1997, he loves their friendship - his views on Miyazaki's work - his favorite thing of ALL Miyazaki's work is the 7th volume of the Nausicaa manga, he's not crazy about Ponyo which he finds to be too long & drags in the third act but he loves the mother character Lisa because she's sexy which is rare to find in Miyazaki's work - and his relationship to his own work - lots of talk about Evangelion, how Nausicaa led to Eva, his "time off making experimental movies after Eva" & how he is usually a mess after completing something. It's easily the best special feature concerning Hideaki Anno I've come across with English subtitles.

And to top it all off you get a great transfer of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for a cheap price (only $13 on Amazon - make sure you buy the release from Oct 31, 2017). I recommend it!

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”